Grants available for individuals

Options

Comments

• mum-of-3
    mum-of-3 Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, I'm currently receiving Contribution ESA and DLA. I am looking to start my own business at home to fit in around my health condition as I am desperate to get back to doing some sort of work.
    I am not having my work focused interviews until March as I will be in hospital for the next few months so I was hoping someone on here maybe able to help!
    I am under 30 so I am hoping to go through the Princes Trust for a loan, i have been told they have no money to give to business start ups as grants at the moment. Are there any grants which may be available to me?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • mum-of-3
    mum-of-3 Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    mum-of-3 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm currently receiving Contribution ESA and DLA. I am looking to start my own business at home to fit in around my health condition as I am desperate to get back to doing some sort of work.
    I am not having my work focused interviews until March as I will be in hospital for the next few months so I was hoping someone on here maybe able to help!
    I am under 30 so I am hoping to go through the Princes Trust for a loan, i have been told they have no money to give to business start ups as grants at the moment. Are there any grants which may be available to me?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bump- Anybody??
  • debtmess
    debtmess Posts: 711 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    autismmum wrote: »
    if disabled person is 16 or under the family fund will give funds each year for holidays or driving lessons for carers or anything really, we have had play equipment, washing machines and computers all new and high spec.
    the are a goverment funded charity based in york that covers the whole of the uk.

does someone have to apply on your behalf ie hv etc

My 3 year old was diagnosed last june with Autism we get dla higher rate, how does someone qualify etc to use family fund as my hv mentioned it and then said she didnt think i would qualify for ds as he wouldnt be classed as disabled by them

tia
    Debt free :beer:

Married 15/02/14:D
  • Vicky123
    Vicky123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why wouldn't he be classed by then?
    Autism is a lifelong disability, does she have a cure? Send her over here when your done with her.
    I think though family fund is for severely disabled children so maybe she means he is not severely disabled by his autism, but then he wouldn't get high rate DLA if he wasn't severe.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    The Family Fund will assess each family individually. You can refer yourself. The Fund will send out one of their regional workers to go through a few details with you and will then put in your first application, which can be up to four items (you will receive less in later years). The FF will then assess your application and if you are successful, you will receive your grant.

As you get DLA at higher rate (I'm assuming care component?), I don't see any reason for them to turn you down unless you fail to meet other criteria - for example, if you earn above their threshold.

Your HV hasn't really been very helpful - how does she know that you are not likely to get help from the FF? They look at all cases on an individual basis and will see how a child's disability has an impact on the family as a whole.

If you don't apply, you won't receive anything, but if you do apply, there is a chance that you will get a grant for something. Even if you get turned down this year, it's worth applying next year.

Good luck x
  • laineygirl
    Options
    on dla, income support etc so hardly enough money for anything. Problem with roof, needs replacing been mended on insurance 4 times in last 4 years and wont fund repair again. Told it needs replacing, cost £5450. Does anybody know of any grants etc that are available to do this. Been to houseproud site, home plus and all other agencys. My own council, Sheffield, are very unhelpful. We seem to have many departments with names like home start, Renovations department, Stay put etc whose job seems to be to tell you there is no funding via the council and they dont know of any for my age group, can only do something if I'm 75 which is in another 15 years by which time the roof will be on the floor. Its dangerous with bits coming off at all times narrowly missing us and when its windy it sounds as though we are under bullet attack. Have tried every government department. CAB, Housing benefit and Income support. I can site the 2002 and 2006 housing repair green paper and bill which states that the council is responsible to help in cases when no other outlet is available but they have no money so stuck then. Houseproud want me to fund it by taking over my mortgage and adding the costs to this creating 1 mortgage but this will cost me in fees,nearly a £1000, take 20 years to pay back, I'll be 80 by then. and the interest is more than I'm paying now. Apparently the DWP rate for mortgage intrest is going down so I'll have to find another £85to my mortgage costs. So any ideas I'll be extremely grateful. Thought of moving but I'd have to get the roof fixed anyhow and I dont want to go.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    laineygirl wrote: »
    on dla, income support etc so hardly enough money for anything. Problem with roof, needs replacing been mended on insurance 4 times in last 4 years and wont fund repair again. Told it needs replacing, cost £5450. Does anybody know of any grants etc that are available to do this. Been to houseproud site, home plus and all other agencys. My own council, Sheffield, are very unhelpful. We seem to have many departments with names like home start, Renovations department, Stay put etc whose job seems to be to tell you there is no funding via the council and they dont know of any for my age group, can only do something if I'm 75 which is in another 15 years by which time the roof will be on the floor. Its dangerous with bits coming off at all times narrowly missing us and when its windy it sounds as though we are under bullet attack. Have tried every government department. CAB, Housing benefit and Income support. I can site the 2002 and 2006 housing repair green paper and bill which states that the council is responsible to help in cases when no other outlet is available but they have no money so stuck then. Houseproud want me to fund it by taking over my mortgage and adding the costs to this creating 1 mortgage but this will cost me in fees,nearly a £1000, take 20 years to pay back, I'll be 80 by then. and the interest is more than I'm paying now. Apparently the DWP rate for mortgage intrest is going down so I'll have to find another £85to my mortgage costs. So any ideas I'll be extremely grateful. Thought of moving but I'd have to get the roof fixed anyhow and I dont want to go.

It sounds like it would be worth selling up and moving to rented property.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • missmc_2
    Options
    I'm 29 and 22 weeks pregnant, single and on incapacity benefit, my current home is being sold so moving to an unfurnished council house, i have nothing as my home was fully furnished, i know i can get help off the council to help with painting, but stuck as i cant get help towards carpets n some bits of furniture, does any one know were i could get a grant from to get me started please,
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you talked to your Housing Officer? They may be able to help, and should certainly know of any local furniture recycling projects. Also consider whether you HAVE to have carpets straight away: do you know what state the floors are in?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • missmc_2
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Have you talked to your Housing Officer? They may be able to help, and should certainly know of any local furniture recycling projects. Also consider whether you HAVE to have carpets straight away: do you know what state the floors are in?

i have severe epilepsy, so living with floor boards is a no go, they are not in the best of conditions but the council seem to think they are ok,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure