Grants available for individuals

Options
Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 10 June 2010 at 5:22PM in Benefits & tax credits

This thread is to discuss Grant Grabbing on a low income guide

To discuss or ask a question - click reply

*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• malby
    Options
    Hi all,

my sister is autistic and lives in a home run by the Autistic society. Her care is funded jointly by the Health Authority and Social services. If she wants to go on holiday she has to save up her pocket money (£11 a week) and pay for the holiday for both herself and her helpers as well as covering the salary for them while they are away. Consequently she can only ever go away for 1 or 2 nights as it is very expensive.

I wondered if anyone knew of an grants that are available for providing holidays for disabled people.
  • AdrianR_2
    Options
    HI Malby,

I came to ask almost the same question. Our daughter has been granted the middle rate of disability living allowance, and I have heard that this opens up opportunities to seek help from other charities or public funded grants. Unfortunately I am not sure where to look.

My next stop will be the National Autistic society, and if I get any joy, I will report back :)

A
    All my software is completely free,even the operating system. Look at Linux :)
  • January_Embers
    Options
    3H fund Holidays for disabled people
    Grant Programme 2007

Depending upon incoming funds, 3H Fund has a grant programme to assist disabled people (whether physically or mentally disabled) their families and carers, on low income, to organise a modest holiday for themselves. Grants are given for the accommodation part of a holiday and the holiday must be taken in the UK

Holidays in the UK for disabled people -from Direct Gov
    Financial support

Some charities help towards holiday costs and some also own their own properties. Families on a low income, and with a disabled child, may be eligible for a grant towards the cost of a holiday. Contact your social services department of your local council.
    The guys and gals at the You're Able website are a veritable mine of information -here is a link to the Travel board.
  • autismmum
    Options
    if disabled person is 16 or under the family fund will give funds each year for holidays or driving lessons for carers or anything really, we have had play equipment, washing machines and computers all new and high spec.
    the are a goverment funded charity based in york that covers the whole of the uk.
    totally debt free:j and mortgage free too 2010
  • AdrianR_2
    Options
    Thank you autismmum, http://www.familyfund.org.uk/newsite/default.asp this is the link to their site I guess. I will look more
    into it later.

A
    All my software is completely free,even the operating system. Look at Linux :)
  • bev_lewis
    Options
    i live in gateshead north east uk and have 2 decorate my home (it needs it desperately) after watching martin lewis on gmtv this morning he said if you are on low income or are disabled there are companies that can help you with decorating even putting together flat packed furniture:j i have severe epilepsy so i cant decorate incase in the middle of it i have a seizure so thought this would be ideal for me to try, after following the links i found my nearest orginisation and it stated on the web page that they help with decorating, after ringing the said orginisation they informed me that they don't do decorating and this is ony for people who own their own homes to help with repairs that need doing:mad: could somebody please help me with this issue thanks loads
  • Sugarfree_Babe
    Options
    I believe the The Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 obliges Local Authorities to provide holidays. I have never had one. In fact it has taken me 2 years to get them to stop making unlawful charges for my care. They did not follow their own procedures, government policy or the law and it was not until I employed a solicitor that the matter was resolved. So, getting a holiday from your local authority may not be easy. But give it a try. some Authorities are better than others. The companies that are supposed to help with repairs receve govt funding. The one covering my area also say in the blurb that they help with decorating and gardening. When I contacted them they told me they do not do this. In Wales they are called Care and Repair. They will put up shelves or change light bulbs. I needed a washer changing on a tap. It took nearly six months for them to do this. I was assessed as needing heating nearly a year ago. Care and Repair are supposed to have organised this for me. It has taken them nearly a year to get 3 estimates for the job and I recieved a letter a couple of weeks ago to say they are now putting in my grant application!!!! Meanwhile I have spent this winter freezing. Did you see the budget today? Pensioners get a heating grant. Sick and disabled persons do not, even though they are far more likely to feel the cold and be in need of heating. Ooops, I feel a rant coming on but this is not the thread for it. Cancer patients can get help from Macmillan. They gave me a holdiay grant a few years ago. It did not cover the cost of a carer but it did help me get away for a few days.
    Be nice to people who are on their way down
    You never know when they are going to pass you on their way back up again
    You cannot light your own candle by blowing out someone else's
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    We've never managed to find any help, £50 towards the fuel bills would be a godsend but instead it goes to people like my dad who with his pension alone gets more than we do.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• Sal_55
    Sal_55 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    bev_lewis wrote: »
    i live in gateshead north east uk and have 2 decorate my home (it needs it desperately) after watching martin lewis on gmtv this morning he said if you are on low income or are disabled there are companies that can help you with decorating even putting together flat packed furniture:j i have severe epilepsy so i cant decorate incase in the middle of it i have a seizure so thought this would be ideal for me to try, after following the links i found my nearest orginisation and it stated on the web page that they help with decorating, after ringing the said orginisation they informed me that they don't do decorating and this is ony for people who own their own homes to help with repairs that need doing:mad: could somebody please help me with this issue thanks loads

Hi,can you please tell me the name of the organisation which helps with home decoration? I'm disabled and can't do the work needed on my own.
    Thanks and bye.
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I want to get funding and I want to know which charity can support me for this. I have heard that there are web sites that you can enter your requirements and it then list the charities that could support you.

Any links or help in what to type in google to find them would really help.
    Thanks
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport