Grants available for individuals

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You may be thinking of People in Need, available through FunderFinder. If you google that plus your area, you may find it's available through a local agency. Or that page lists books you may be able to consult in your local library.

Also

LINKING TO ARTICLES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this: There’s an article on the main site you might like to read that gives more information on this subject.

Since that links to a discussion on grants for individuals on the Benefits board, I shall move this over there and the Board Guides may want to merge you into that thread to keep things tidy.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • saleofthecentury
    Options
    Hi there.

Trying to raise awareness for all pregnant ladies, who will be 25 weeks pregnant or more on 6th April 2009.

There is a 'Health in Pregnancy Grant' (HiPG) from the government available to all UK residents. Non-means tested, simple to apply for, which gives £190 directly into your bank account.

Would be good if this grant for individuals could be added to the main site article, which is very helpful in these difficult times!

Further details and forum discussion are available in a separate MSE thread called 'Health in Pregnancy Grant':

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1320679&highlight=health+in+pregnancy+grant

It's looking pretty low in terms of awareness, yet is a simple and valuable benefit that MSE could help to promote to ladies awaiting babies!

:T
    From Money Spending Expert :eek: to Money Saving Expert :D
  • john11dogs
    Options
    My wife and I are on guaranteed pension credit and we need a chimney stack pointing or re-building before it falls down. Is there a grant that might assist us with funding the work for this?

John Ratcliffe
  • Emma1973
    Emma1973 Posts: 120 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2009 at 10:45PM
    Options
    Various Home Improvement Agencies can help you with that John. Search for them here http://www.foundations.uk.com/default.aspx

They all offer different services, for example Care & Repair Manchester have several teams, including an Independent Living Service which can help check benefits, get grants, housing, etc. They are for the over 60's and people who are home owners and private tenants.
    Theres a Handy Help service which does small jobs around the house, and a Home Repairs Support Team who can help get grants and funding for larger works.

There have been problems with decorating services, home improvement agencies are by and large charitable organisations who do receive funding from Supporting People and local government authorities. It usually comes in the form of a set amount of money, if its for decorating this money runs out fast and they dont replace it and theres nothing the charities can do about it. Its also the same with people needing help with gardening.

Charities are under massive strain at the moment, and that goes for all of them!
  • tonianne1
    Options
    could any one pls tell me if i could apply for some help with a new boiler, mine packed up 3 months ago..i have had no hot water or heating..and im freezing...i am 32 female who lives in a mortgaged flat brought of the council, i am currently not working and recieveing unemployment and support allowance, as waiting for a operation...i have been quoted 3000 pounds for a new boiler, which is inpossible for me to pay for at the present time..if any1 could pls advise me i would be very gratefull..
  • Bryando
    Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    There is also grants for ex service men. I've had a few. Royal British Legion and few others. Google. Or contact your old regiment.
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.warmfront.co.uk/do-i-qualify.htm

If you own your own home or rent it from a private landlord, you may be eligible for a grant of up to £3,500 (or £6,000 where oil, low carbon or renewable technologies are recommended) under the Warm Front Scheme. Warm Front Grants are available in England only; other schemes operate in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    If the property has previously received Warm Front improvements, the grant now available will be the balance of £3,500 (or £6,000 where oil, low carbon or renewable technologies are recommended) less the value of all works previously completed.
    Applicants meeting the following criteria may be eligible for the Warm Front Scheme.
    1. Householders aged 60 or over in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:
    • Income Support
    • Council Tax Benefit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Job Seekers Allowance (income-based)
    • Pension Credit
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    2. Householders with a child under 16, or pregnant women with maternity certificate MAT-B1, in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:
    • Income Support
    • Council Tax Benefit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Job Seekers Allowance (income-based)
    • Pension Credit
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    3. Householders in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:
    • Working Tax Credit (with an income of less than £16,040, which must include a disability element)
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Child Tax Credit (with an income of less than £16,040)
    • Housing Benefit (which must include a disability premium)
    • Income Support (which must include a disability premium)
    • Council Tax Benefit (which must include a disability premium)
    • War Disablement Pension (which must include a mobility supplement or Constant Attendance Allowance)
    • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (which must include Constant Attendance Allowance)
    • Attendance Allowance
    NOTES:

[*]The term 'Householder' includes the applicant's spouse, or partner, if they are living with the applicant
      [*]Please note a Disability Living Allowance award for a child or non-dependent in your household will not qualify for the Warm Front grant.

*SIGH*
      :D
    • kingfisherblue
      Options
      I have just applied for a Warm Front grant to replace my boiler, as it has an intermittent fault - not good in this weather, especially with a disabled child! There is quite a long wait, though, so anybody needing a new boiler wouldn't have it in the next few weeks. I was told about three months is the current wait for a boiler, longer for a full central heating system. Even with the wait, its a great scheme and I couldn't afford a new boiler without it.
    • Savvy_Sue
      Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
      Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
      Options
      tonianne1 wrote: »
      could any one pls tell me if i could apply for some help with a new boiler, mine packed up 3 months ago..i have had no hot water or heating..and im freezing...i am 32 female who lives in a mortgaged flat brought of the council, i am currently not working and recieveing unemployment and support allowance, as waiting for a operation...i have been quoted 3000 pounds for a new boiler, which is inpossible for me to pay for at the present time..if any1 could pls advise me i would be very gratefull..
      I don't know anything about the boiler scrappage scheme but it would be worth googling or asking at the job centre to see if you are eligible.
      Signature removed for peace of mind
    • DX2
      DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
      Options
      Following on from Savvy's post re boiler scrappage scheme more details here:
      http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Home-improvements-and-products/Heating-and-hot-water/Boiler-scrappage-scheme
      When will the vouchers be issued?

The £400 vouchers will be issued from 18 January 2010. You will receive the voucher approximately ten days after application. Vouchers are valid for 12 weeks from date of issue. If the voucher is not redeemed within this time, it will be cancelled and reallocated. There will be only one voucher per household, but if the voucher expires, it will be possible to apply for another if funds are available.
      Installations made before receipt of your voucher will invalidate your claim and you will no longer be eligible to receive the £400 rebate.
      Please note that no vouchers will be sent out before 18. January 2010.
      *SIGH*
      :D
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173.3K Life & Family