Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• Shakethedisease
    Shakethedisease Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rinoa wrote: »
    7 points, 19 points, whatever. It's now:

I'd say you might be on the right tracks given the below and the timing of The Sun's headline today.
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 1h1 hour ago

We have a @ComResPolls EU referendum survey in tmrw's paper. On http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/ at 10pm. Some dramatic movement since last month.
    Mike Smithson
    ‏@MSmithsonPB

Big movement in new ComRes phone poll expected in the Sun tonight. Last time ComRes had 11% REMAIN lead
    Just HOW dramatic though.. :eek:
    It all seems so stupid it makes me want to give up.
    But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid ?
  • Rinoa
    Rinoa Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say you might be on the right tracks given the below and the timing of The Sun's headline today.

Just HOW dramatic though.. :eek:

Will many SNP supporters vote leave in the hope this could trigger another referendum?
    If I don't reply to your post,
    you're probably on my ignore list.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rinoa wrote: »
    Will many SNP supporters vote leave in the hope this could trigger another referendum?

For the SNP to realistically be able to request another referendum, I would say they need both a Leave vote in the UK as a whole but also a strong Remain vote in Scotland, so I doubt it.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    For the SNP to realistically be able to request another referendum, I would say they need both a Leave vote in the UK as a whole but also a strong Remain vote in Scotland, so I doubt it.

the only situation that the SNP will demand a new independence referendum, is when the polls show a healthy margin in favour:
    unless the EU referendum produces that result then the SNP will just do a bit of showbiz
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    the only situation that the SNP will demand a new independence referendum, is when the polls show a healthy margin in favour:
    unless the EU referendum produces that result then the SNP will just do a bit of showbiz

That also sounds pretty typical of them.

Has there been much polling done in Scotland on the issue recently and on what difference a Brexit would make to people's voting patterns?
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Current political parties no longer represent the electorate. Days are long gone of factory workers vs landowners. Appear so out of touch with reality.

True but we will always have a society where there are haves and have nots. Not wrong in itself, anyone who loafs around does not deserve to be a have and anyone who makes something of themselves deserves to be a have. Unfortunately now we have a society that lacks opportunity. There is less social mobility now than 30 years ago.

But it is nothing to do with the EU.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • BobQ
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    I didn't mean a referendum on the same vote again, rather if the deal on the table was EFTA membership, with all that entails, then maybe people should have a right to vote on whether that was acceptable before we signed up to it..

The only way I could see anyone being able to justify a new vote on the same terms (Remain v Leave) in the near future would be if we had a Leave vote and the EU came back with a SIGNIFICANTLY improved offer to the UK with regards to what EU membership would entail, or if we voted to Remain, but there was then a fundamental adverse change in what the EU required from us I don't think it would be unreasonable to have another vote.

The current referendum is very dangerous. It risks places us outside of the EU without a plan.

Our Government should have planned the referendum in two stages, the first being a clear choice of possible options under an AV system, the second being a vote on the chosen option or remain.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    The current referendum is very dangerous. It risks places us outside of the EU without a plan.

Our Government should have planned the referendum in two stages, the first being a clear choice of possible options under an AV system, the second being a vote on the chosen option or remain.

are you seriously saying the government (that doesn't want brexit) would have negotiated with the EU27 (who don't want a brexit), to explore a range of possibilities?

not very realistic really
  • BobQ
    Options
    Immigrants into the UK from other EU countries pay £3bn in tax each year.

What happens to it?
  • BobQ
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    are you seriously saying the government (that doesn't want brexit) would have negotiated with the EU27 (who don't want a brexit), to explore a range of possibilities?

not very realistic really

No point in debating anything if you just accuse me of saying something I never said.

Are you seriously saying that China should join the EU and EFTA? That won't work either so why say it? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport