Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that if brexit win by a small margin, then there will be another referendum
    I'm pretty sure that if remain win by a small margin there won't be another referendum

In any case if Brexit wins I would imagine Boris will be PM pretty soon afterwards, and he would have to call the referendum, it wouldn't be likely to be the decision of any of the Remain camp.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2016 at 5:58PM
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    They probably looked back and saw 40 years of Britain inside Europe. From the 'poor man of Europe' to the confident, open, prosperous, outward looking nation we are today.
    Nothing to do with fearing change.

And in 39 of those 40 years the UK has been a net contributor to the EU, unlike most of the other members.......

Not bad going for the "sick man of Europe"....... ;)

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    I didn't mean a referendum on the same vote again, rather if the deal on the table was EFTA membership, with all that entails, then maybe people should have a right to vote on whether that was acceptable before we signed up to it..

The only way I could see anyone being able to justify a new vote on the same terms (Remain v Leave) in the near future would be if we had a Leave vote and the EU came back with a SIGNIFICANTLY improved offer to the UK with regards to what EU membership would entail, or if we voted to Remain, but there was then a fundamental adverse change in what the EU required from us I don't think it would be unreasonable to have another vote.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'justify a new vote'
    it only requires a vote in parliament
    as parliament is in favour of 'remain' that may be significient although a high risk strategy for the next GE
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'justify a new vote'
    it only requires a vote in parliament
    as parliament is in favour of 'remain' that may be significient although a high risk strategy for the next GE

I mean justify to the electorate, if this is an issue which parliament has decided should be put to the people, as it has, I think it would be a very dangerous game to observe the letter of their decision but not the spirit of it, and then just throw it back again on exactly the same terms because they didn't like the result.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    And in 39 of those 40 years the UK has been a net contributor to the EU, unlike most of the other members.......

Not bad going for the "sick man of Europe"....... ;)

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

You think poorer nations should be paying us?
    Interesting....:)
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options

it was never a 19 point lead.....but its still a nice healthy 7-10 point lead :j:beer:

VOTE LEAVE
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

We are the country in debt. ;)
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options

I would rather you didn't put words in my mouth.........;)
  • TrickyTree83
    TrickyTree83 Posts: 3,930 Forumite
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    I mean justify to the electorate, if this is an issue which parliament has decided should be put to the people, as it has, I think it would be a very dangerous game to observe the letter of their decision but not the spirit of it, and then just throw it back again on exactly the same terms because they didn't like the result.

I'd quite like the EU to come forward with serious proposals after a Leave vote. They won't, but I would certainly vote to remain if the terms were agreeable. I don't see that they are at the moment.
  • Rinoa
    Rinoa Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options

7 points, 19 points, whatever. It's now:

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    If I don't reply to your post,
    you're probably on my ignore list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories