Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options
gfplux
gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
edited 10 January 2016 at 8:54PM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
As the title says. I am interested in what happens if we vote for a Brexit. Has anyone heard of any plans (being made or in place) for the next day, the next week, the next month and the next one or two years.
I know the result is still in question as is the date of the referendum but a serious Government, local Authority and large Company's have to have contingency plans for such a huge change. They would be neglecting their duty if they did not.
Can you imagine the chaos if at midnight of referendum day it is announced we are leaving the EU but "we have yet to work out how we do it!"
Will you buy a new house during the run up to the vote.
Would you put your house/flat on the market during the run up to the vote.
Would you book your European holiday during the run up to the vote.
Etc, etc, etc.
There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    As the title says. I am interested in what happens if we vote for a Brexit. Has anyone heard of any plans (being made or in place) for the next day, the next week, the next month and the next one or two years.
    I know the result is still in question as is the date of the referendum but a serious Government, local Authority and large Company's have to have contingency plans for such a huge change. They would be neglecting their duty if they did not.
    Can you imagine the chaos if at midnight of referendum day it is announced we are leaving the EU but "we have yet to work out how we do it!"
    Will you buy a new house during the run up to the vote.
    Would you put your house/flat on the market during the run up to the vote.
    Would you book your European holiday during the run up to the vote.
    Etc, etc, etc.

I would say with absolute certainty that there will transition and negotiating period : probably 1 to 2 years

and I would say with absolutely certainty we don't have a contingency plan as that would be impossible.
  • Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There will be widespread panic in the EU and another referendum within 6 months with a much better deal on the table.
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I presume we become like Switzerland and Norway - could be a lot worse as we could end up like Slovakia or Greece if we stay in!

However I am not convinced the powers that be will accept a leave vote - the EU has ignored referendums in Ireland, France and the Netherlands. Who says they will accept ours?
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rich2808 wrote: »
    I presume we become like Switzerland and Norway - could be a lot worse as we could end up like Slovakia or Greece if we stay in!

However I am not convinced the powers that be will accept a leave vote - the EU has ignored referendums in Ireland, France and the Netherlands. Who says they will accept ours?

no, that isn't what happened
  • thequant
    thequant Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    I would say with absolute certainty that there will transition and negotiating period : probably 1 to 2 years

and I would say with absolutely certainty we don't have a contingency plan as that would be impossible.

yeah, was reading up on this earlier. There is exit provisions within the lisbon treaty.

Basically if anyone votes to leave, they remain a member for 2 years, during which time a new agreements are drawn up for post EU life.
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    ...probably another Scottish referendum .....
    Waits for reaction
    :D
    baldly going on...
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I can't see how we would be allowed to leave, both by the Government and the EU - I don't think our 'vote' will also take place. Think of the queue behind us if we did leave.... it wont be allowed...
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    As the title says. I am interested in what happens if we vote for a Brexit. Has anyone heard of any plans (being made or in place) for the next day, the next week, the next month and the next one or two years.....

This is the time to play your 'Nobody Knows' card.:)
    Rich2808 wrote: »
    I presume we become like Switzerland and Norway...

Unlikely, both Switzerland and Norway are very much 'in' Europe.
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure if it guarantees an automatic exit.

We seem to forget that Europe itself may change in the next few years. The rate at which events unfold seems much quicker these days. Barely a month passes without a new issue to be dealt with.

The question will be who are the primary movers and shakers who drive this change? Traditionally, a lot of the steer has come from the central countries.
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1400 people lost their jobs from Ford's Dagenham plant in 2012 because the EU funded grants that enabled Ford to shift its operations to cheaper plants overseas. Ford moved its Southampton operation to Turkey (which isn't even in the EU…yet) with the help of an £80 million lump sum from the EU's Investment Bank.

In 2007, Peugeot closed its Ryton factory and moved production to Slovakia using EU money, resulting in 5,000 jobs losses at the plant and at suppliers.

Genuine question:
    Does the UK retain some of the benefit of these businesses in that they are retained inside the common market?

Would the UK have retained any benefit if the businesses had shifted offshore anyway and we were not part of that common market?

I really don't know the answer to that. It seems like a complicated question. You presented it as quite a black and white issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure