Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mwpt wrote: »
    Genuine question:
    Does the UK retain some of the benefit of these businesses in that they are retained inside the common market?

Would the UK have retained any benefit if the businesses had shifted offshore anyway and we were not part of that common market?

I really don't know the answer to that. It seems like a complicated question. You presented it as quite a black and white issue.

Both of those companies are foreign owned so we have no direct interest, whether they are in or out of the EU or whether we are in or out of the EU
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hello wake up,
    You say
    "The OP appears panicky and ill-informed, so he's exactly the sort of person the In campaign are targeting"
    You are perfectly correct I am not well informed. I may or may not vote at all. Probably joining the other 30%, 40% or even 50% who will not vote given the apathy shown in a General Election.
    I would like more information about the process that will take place if the UK vote to leave.
    There is plenty of "information" being given by people who are sure they want in or out. You are a prime example of someone who is convinced that we will be better out. However for me all of these "facts" from both sides have the smell of spin.
    However that is not really important. What I really want to know is exactly what will happen after an OUT vote.
    I have "heard" that some people "think" that we will have 2 years to withdraw. "If" that is correct, does the countdown start at midnight from the day of the result is announced. Or, does it start when the Prine Minister of the day lodges with the EU an official letter of resignation.
    My greatest problem in all of this is the facts are being obscured by the spin put on them by both sides.
    BUT, I say again, for me the before (the vote) is less important than the after (the vote)
    Thanks.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • CLAPTON
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    Hello wake up,
    You say
    "The OP appears panicky and ill-informed, so he's exactly the sort of person the In campaign are targeting"
    You are perfectly correct I am not well informed. I may or may not vote at all. Probably joining the other 30%, 40% or even 50% who will not vote given the apathy shown in a General Election.
    I would like more information about the process that will take place if the UK vote to leave.
    There is plenty of "information" being given by people who are sure they want in or out. You are a prime example of someone who is convinced that we will be better out. However for me all of these "facts" from both sides have the smell of spin.
    However that is not really important. What I really want to know is exactly what will happen after an OUT vote.
    I have "heard" that some people "think" that we will have 2 years to withdraw. "If" that is correct, does the countdown start at midnight from the day of the result is announced. Or, does it start when the Prine Minister of the day lodges with the EU an official letter of resignation.
    My greatest problem in all of this is the facts are being obscured by the spin put on them by both sides.
    BUT, I say again, for me the before (the vote) is less important than the after (the vote)
    Thanks.

you say you need to know the future but you only want to know the future if we are OUT but you don't need to know the future if we are IN.

just as a hint : the future is uncertain.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    ...When the UK leaves the EU we WILL be offered an EFTA agreement. Why? Because European companies need our business. We were also founding members of the EFTA before joining the then EEC.

With an EFTA deal we will be able to enjoy the handful of benefits the EU provides while being able to opt out of the myriad of drawbacks it accounts for.

I would actually suggest that it is you that is ill-informed.

Being "offered an EFTA agreement" would only get you into a trade agreement with Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, coupled with the opportunity to ultimately benefit from the trade agreements EFTA has with third party nations.

Presumably, what you actually mean is that EFTA membership would be an alternative route into membership of the EEA. The problem with that option is that it leaves you back at square one to many intents and purposes. For example, for many people the desire for Brexit is driven by the belief that the UK should be able to control its own borders, which can't happen unless you exit the EEA.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...probably another Scottish referendum .....
    Waits for reaction
    :D

This time why don't we get in first and vote to leave the UK?
    That will leave Scotland holding all the UK debt instead.
    :)
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This time why don't we get in first and vote to leave the UK?
    That will leave Scotland holding all the UK debt instead.
    :)
    I think Scotland should leave at the same time and join EFTA. Leave the debt with Gibraltar (the only bit of the UK left inside the EU).
    Get them to smuggle it across the border into Spain overnight; nobody'll notice. Job done!
    :j
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • gfplux
    Options
    Hello Clapton,
    Yes you exactly understand me. I only want to know what will happen if we vote to leave. If we vote to stay in it will be same old, same old. So no need for any plans.
    This is all a little (I say a little) like the millennium bug. Millions of Pounds, dollars, yen and Euros were spent on contingency plans for the possibility that the millennium bug would cause problems. It did not so same old, same old.
  • CLAPTON
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 January 2016 at 6:31PM
    Options
    Hello Clapton,
    Yes you exactly understand me. I only want to know what will happen if we vote to leave. If we vote to stay in it will be same old, same old. So no need for any plans.
    This is all a little (I say a little) like the millennium bug. Millions of Pounds, dollars, yen and Euros were spent on contingency plans for the possibility that the millennium bug would cause problems. It did not so same old, same old.

I'm afraid your understanding of the millennium bug is incorrect.

Anyway, I believe that leaving the EU will have significant impact but it is impossible to know exactly what they will be.

One of the main reasons why it's impossible to be sure of the effects, are that there have been no negotiation yet with the EU so we don't know the future trading arrangements.
  • gfplux
    Options
    In what way is my understanding of the millennium bug is incorrect. Or is that your way of ignoring other people's opinions.
  • CLAPTON
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In what way is my understanding of the millennium bug is incorrect. Or is that your way of ignoring other people's opinions.

millions of pounds /dollars were not spent on contingency plans : the money was spent correcting software errors made in the 60,70,80,90s when no-one thought that the year 2000 would ever come.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure