Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options
1206620672068206920702072»

Comments

• wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    So with inflation above 2% - wine is almost on a par with the average.

Yawn.

That was 3% to March 2017. You need to add another 8p for duty plus 1.6p for the VAT on the duty.

(£0.16 + £0.08 + £0.016)/ £5.40 = 4.7% increase since March 2016.

Nearly 2.5x inflation.
  • Yah_Boo_Sux
    Yah_Boo_Sux Posts: 133 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2017 at 8:42PM
    Options
    From the trade itself, a few days ago:
    Average wine prices remained steady at about £5.40 a bottle during 2015 and 2016, but there has been a sharp upturn since the turn of the year, reaching £5.56 in the last three months.
    http://www.talkingretail.com/category-news/industrynews/brexit-high-duty-rates-blamed-sharp-rise-wine-prices/
    Firstly that - from retailers themselves - clearly says the total increase so far has been 16p on an average bottle AND secondly if you can be bothered to read on that that increase INCLUDES all UK taxes.

Nice report whosit, but that is NOT from the links I posted, is it? You had to hunt for it. And again, 3% INCLUDING TAXES - and since the duty/VAT element was 12p as shown BEFORE your 16p total, the rise after tax is ? ? ? ?
    Go on?
    Yes, 4p - and I said 3. Well slap my wrists!

So
    wotsthat wrote: »
    However, the increase in the price of wine to date is predominantly down to exchange rates.
    was untrue. It took a while but we got there.

Advisory: It's not the best of ideas to try and tell a French person about wine unless you are certain of your facts.
  • ThinkingOutLoud_2
    Options
    That was 3% to March 2017. You need to add another 8p for duty plus 1.6p for the VAT on the duty.

(£0.16 + £0.08 + £0.016)/ £5.40 = 4.7% increase since March 2016.

Nearly 2.5x inflation.
    Yes but the tax is not inflation - it is your current government and all previous of all colours policy to routinely lift tax on booze.

"The total annual cost to society of alcohol-related harm is estimated to be £21bn. The NHS incurs £3.5bn a year in costs related to alcohol."

So tough luck. But the best wine you can. Sip don't glug is my best advice. Leave a few minutes between sips and you will be amazed at the depth of flavours in a good wine. Far beat necking it.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • wotsthat
    Options
    From the trade itself, a few days ago:

http://www.talkingretail.com/category-news/industrynews/brexit-high-duty-rates-blamed-sharp-rise-wine-prices/
    Firstly that - from retailers themselves - clearly says the total increase so far has been 16p on an average bottle AND secondly if you can be bothered to read on that that increase INCLUDES all UK taxes.

Talking retail are basing their narrative on the WSTA report which I've linked to.

Yes, 16p (3%) is on the average bottle and yes, I understand the price of an average bottle includes taxes. Therefore would you agree that the 3% applies to the whole bottle and not just the wine component?
    Nice report whosit, but that is NOT from the links I posted, is it? You had to hunt for it. And again, 3% INCLUDING TAXES - and since the duty/VAT element was 12p as shown BEFORE your 16p total, the rise after tax is ? ? ? ?
    So was untrue. It took a while but we got there.

The links you posted are reporting the information from the WSTA. Sometimes it's better to find the source data.
    AGAIN - it very clearly says "3% increase in wine prices". IT DOES NOT SAY "a 3% increase on a bottle of wine". So half an hour gone and still no proof of your mistaken assumptions yet, but I'm not impatient. I can wait ........ for proof.

You've not taken being proved wrong with very good grace.
  • Yah_Boo_Sux
    Yah_Boo_Sux Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Talking retail are basing their narrative on the WSTA report which I've linked to.

Yes, 16p (3%) is on the average bottle and yes, I understand the price of an average bottle includes taxes. Therefore would you agree that the 3% applies to the whole bottle and not just the wine component?

The links you posted are reporting the information from the WSTA. Sometimes it's better to find the source data.

You've not taken being proved wrong with very good grace.
    *Yawn*
    You are the one proven wrong, not me. Where is your good grace?
    You said
    Originally Posted by wotsthat viewpost.gif
    However, the increase in the price of wine to date is predominantly down to exchange rates.
    That was wrong. Proven beyond doubt above. End of.
  • A_Pict_In_A_Past_Life
    A_Pict_In_A_Past_Life Posts: 167 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2017 at 9:09PM
    Options
    *Yawn*
    You said "Originally Posted by wotsthat
    However, the increase in the price of wine to date is predominantly down to exchange rates."
    That was wrong. Proven beyond doubt above. End of.

Yes indeed.
    Exchange rate increase 4p.
    Tax increase 12p.
    Pretty conclusive from here.
    And looking like more "Project Fear" type propagandist nonsense when explained clearly like that.
    Why must media here always be sensationalist and so often misleading too?
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

That's a great question....

daily-express-1.jpg
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • wotsthat
    Options
    Yes indeed.
    Exchange rate increase 4p.
    Tax increase 12p.
    Pretty conclusive from here.
    And looking like more "Project Fear" type propagandist nonsense when explained clearly like that.

What you've missed is that the WSTA report is quite clearly saying that the 16p increase is mainly down to an 11% decline in Sterling.

The tax change is a red herring because the price survey data was undertaken before the full impact of it fed through to retail prices.

It's not project fear, sensation or misleading - just maths and basic logic.
  • wotsthat
    Options
    *Yawn*

Are you still saying the consumer is paying 3% extra on a bottle of wine or just the wine component? Or have you got bored of repeating your inaccuracy?
    You said That was wrong. Proven beyond doubt above. End of.

I've explained this using the power of maths and being able to interpret pretty simple data. Sorry you didn't understand.
  • wotsthat
    Options
    Yes but the tax is not inflation - it is your current government and all previous of all colours policy to routinely lift tax on booze.

If duty increases on wine then assuming it's not absorbed by retailers it'll turn up in inflation figures.
    "The total annual cost to society of alcohol-related harm is estimated to be £21bn. The NHS incurs £3.5bn a year in costs related to alcohol."

So tough luck. But the best wine you can. Sip don't glug is my best advice. Leave a few minutes between sips and you will be amazed at the depth of flavours in a good wine. Far beat necking it.

I suppose I should be grateful people who voted for Brexit are so worried about my health.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure