Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »
    Top tip.

If you want to make a general point don't quote other posters before you make it.

I can see why some would construe your response as specifically blaming Merkel for Saturday's attack. Not your intention of course.

Top tip. Don't read into comments something which wasn't said. Instead broaden your outlook.
    The Driven Ones
    Merkel and refugee policy: report from inside the centre of power

A critical inside report on the Chancelor's refugee policy
    Angela Merkel's decision in autumn 2015 to open the borders for refugees split the country – some praised the moral stance, others criticised the surrender of sovereignty. Yet what would appear to be well-planned activity is in reality a policy of muddling along, chance, trial and error.

Robin Alexander's chronicle of the refugee crisis shows that the political actors are being driven along, crushed between self-imposed constraints and events that have spun out of control.

As a Welt am Sonntag correspondent, Robin Alexander has been looking behind the scenes of the Chancellor's office for years. In this book – based on research in Berlin, Brussels, Vienna, Budapest and Turkey – he has reconstructed in minute detail the key decisions during six fateful months and, using the example of the probably most dramatic chapter in recent German history, tells us how politics is made today.

https://service.randomhouse.de/book/Die-Getriebenen/Robin-Alexander/e515075.rhd
  • Yah_Boo_Sux
    Yah_Boo_Sux Posts: 133 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2017 at 8:26PM
    Options
    I've seen news of how the EU economy is supposedly doing well. Fair enough, but it looks like Airbus are not amongst those.
    Airbus (AIR.PA), Europe's largest aerospace company, raised the prospect on Monday of a new cut in production of its A380 superjumbo because of weak sales but pledged to try to make sure the struggling project still breaks even.
    Airbus already plans to cut production to one superjumbo a month in 2018 from an unspecified level now and has said it needs to win more sales this year to maintain output at that new level, called rate 1 by the company's executives.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-airlines-iata-airbus-idUKKBN18W244?il=0

It looks like Boeing are winning the battle of the skies.
    Will the new factory at Sheffield to supply parts for their 737 & 777 aircraft be just the start, maybe?
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Top tip. Don't read into comments something which wasn't said. Instead broaden your outlook.

I'm trying to broaden my outlook by trying to understand why you tried to link Merkel and the EU to Saturday's attack.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    You're talking out your wotsit.
    I do the household shop (for the family btw, not just for myself) and I can tell you without doubt that my shopping bill hasn't increased, certainly not enough to be noticeable. Some stuff goes up in price, some comes down. When was it ever any different?
    Oh and my wage rise this year was significantly above inflation, too - although I recognise that this will not be the case for everyone.
    Apart from public sector workers though no-one I know is worse off yet through low wage increases or increased shopping costs, certainly.

I'm looking forward to the day when as a country we can buy our fruit & veg from where we want, perhaps improving the lot of other economies instead of buying from where we are told to by the EU with its protectionism and detrimental practices to other nations.
    All you want to do is promulgate Project Fear.
    Well I got news for you.
    It (still) isn't working.
    ;)

There you go, kinda says how biased you are.
    There is not a single report suggesting prices are the same, it's pretty much widely acknowledged that currency is weaker, food prices are up as it is inflation and wages are stagnant.

Do continue in your own world.
    EU expat working in London
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    Options
    There you go, kinda says how biased you are.
    There is not a single report suggesting prices are the same, it's pretty much widely acknowledged that currency is weaker, food prices are up as it is inflation and wages are stagnant.

Do continue in your own world.
    That kinda says how biased you are.

We all know by now that there are attempts to tell the sheeple that we're all worse off, that we (for example) face emergency budgets and a huge black hole in the country's finances.
    The sensible amongst us take what the media tell us with a large pinch of salt and do our own research before forming opinions, the scare stories regarding inflation being one such example amongst many.

I did not suggest currency was the same; it obviously is not but hey! Don't let the truth stop your propagandist stance eh?

I also did not suggest prices are the same - read what I wrote?
    "Some stuff goes up in price, some comes down. When was it ever any different?"
    Again it appears that you won't let the truth stand in the way of your attempted propagandist stance.

Recent energy price hikes and volatility in automotive fuel are having much more of an impact on personal finances than the oft-publicise yet variable rises in foodstuffs.
    Energy bills to rise up to 28% for thousands in UK as fixed contracts end
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/15/gas-electricity-bills-rise-fixed-contracts-end-expire
    Fuel prices hit 18-month high, after Opec production cuts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38505980

Try reading the related threads, like "Food shopping.... " and educate yourself before posting biased nonsense.
    Here's an example from one post in there (thanks to artcyclarty, the OP):
    artyclarty wrote: »
    I'm not sure where everyone is getting these inflated dairy prices from. I found an old Lidl receipt the other day from when I graduated from uni in 2009 and went into the big bad world.

Milk in Lidl cost £1.09, butter £1.25. About a year or two after both went down to £1 and last year 89p and 85p respectively. So in the grand scheme of things, this 'scandalous' milk £1 and butter £1.20, that's not really much of an increase tbh.

However, veg does seem to have increased quite a lot: bananas on the other hand have gone from 58p/kg to 78p/kg, mushrooms have gone from 59p to £1 and courgettes from 99p/kg to 1.28p/kg.

Someone mentioned beef I believe, 2009 500g 20% mince 99p, now £1.59.

Other interesting things to notice:
    Bottles Pepsi (with german writing only) 59p, now £1.25
    Cans of Pepsi (again only german writing) 29p now 39p
    Little cans of energy drinks 19p, now £25p
    Nescafe £2.99 now £3.99
    Chocolate/strawberry knock off cornettos 99p now £1.45
    Garden Peas 89p now £1.05
    Mushy Peas 25p now 19p
    Corned beef still £1.49

All of this is over rougly 8 years, so you all can decide whether these are reasonable price changes or not.

The one thing I can say is that my diet has not improved much!:rotfl:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5651091
    There are lots more saying the same or similar, so I know it isn't just me.
    Again: "Some stuff goes up in price, some comes down. When was it ever any different?"

So thank you; I (and millions of ordinary others I suspect) will indeed carry on in our own world.
    The real world, not your blinkered media-induced fantasy land.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Obviously, MSE's food shopping thread is the ideal way of measuring UK food inflation.
    Who needs facts when you have ready access to artyclarty's posts eh?

united-kingdom-food-inflation.png?s=unitedkinfooinf&v=201705221926v
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    Obviously, MSE's food shopping thread is the ideal way of measuring UK food inflation.
    Who needs facts when you have ready access to artyclarty's posts eh?

united-kingdom-food-inflation.png?s=unitedkinfooinf&v=201705221926v
    Kinda shot yourself in the foot there Mayo.
    1.5%?
    Oh wow - starvation time everyone!

For balance here's a historic pretty piccy thingy since Mayo seems to like 'em:
    united-kingdom-food-inflation.png?s=unitedkinfooinf&v=201705221926v&d1=20070101&d2=20171231

See that?
    Did you hear similar grumbles about high food inflation from 2008 to 2014 when it was higher than now, anyone?
    Anyone?
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Kinda shot yourself in the foot there Mayo.
    1.5%?
    Oh wow - starvation time everyone!
    I shot myself in the foot because I provide actual data showing we have food inflation - something you vehemently deny? Ok then. :)
    For balance here's a historic pretty piccy thingy since Mayo seems to like 'em:
    united-kingdom-food-inflation.png?s=unitedkinfooinf&v=201705221926v&d1=20070101&d2=20171231

See that?
    Did you hear similar grumbles about high food inflation from 2008 to 2014 when it was higher than now, anyone?
    Anyone?
    Yes, I remember that spike in inflation in 2008-2009. It was called the global financial crisis.
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    Options
    I shot myself in the foot because I provide actual data showing we have food inflation - something you vehemently deny? Ok then. :)

Yes, I remember that spike in inflation in 2008-2009. It was called the global financial crisis.
    Are you resorting to the last stance of telling blatant lies now?
    If not show me where I "vehemently deny" inflation?
    BTW good though it is that you notice the spike, the GFC didn't last ten years. ;)

What I very clearly say above is: ' "I also did not suggest prices are the same - read what I wrote?
    "Some stuff goes up in price, some comes down. When was it ever any different?" '

Now try getting off that high horse of yours and tell us if you can whether inflation has mostly been higher or lower during the past ten years than it is now?
    *The graph you include from my post is a handy clue. ;)

How about the last twenty years?
    And what will you blame those historic food inflation rates on (and falls since there are falls too) ?
    Brexit?
    The Pound?
  • TrickyTree83
    TrickyTree83 Posts: 3,930 Forumite
    Options

The point he is making is that people were not bellyaching about double digit rises as much as those who want to remain in the EU are moaning now about rises that are fluctuating between decimal and < 2%.

It's quite obviously faux outrage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport