Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

edited 7 July at 11:38AM in Energy
1.6K replies 265.5K views

Replies

• Super_WhiskeySuper_Whiskey Forumite
    233 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Signed up with Avro a couple of months back and still haven't had my first bill through. I'll have to send them an email to chase it up :/
  • I'm a long term customer of Avro and just re-signed up to them based upon Martin's recommendation on the latest Big Switch. Avro's prices are competitive BUT... if you do have a problem, good luck in contacting them. They only operate Monday to Friday 9am-5:30pm and are almost impossible to speak to over the phone. Expect wait times of 20-40mins per call. Email seems to be the best way to get a response, however even then is far from providing a reliable service. Their lower price comes with this risk of more hassle in my own personal experience.
  • I was with them for 12 months and had no issues at all, the online interface was quite intuitive. The only reason I moved was because of a cheaper tariff with another supplier, but I would use Avro Energy again in the future.
  • BobbymaxBobbymax Forumite
    32 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts
    More than three weeks after I switched from Avro, they've just taken another direct debit from my bank account even though the account was closed in credit to the tune of more than £150. They don't answer phones and ignore emails. Totally unacceptable!!
  • edited 3 November 2018 at 10:31PM
    ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 November 2018 at 10:31PM
    Bobbymax wrote: »
    More than three weeks after I switched from Avro, they've just taken another direct debit from my bank account even though the account was closed in credit to the tune of more than £150. They don't answer phones and ignore emails. Totally unacceptable!!
    If reports on this thread are anything to go by, it will be some time before your final bill is produced and even longer before your credit balance is refunded so cancel their DD at your bank as soon as possible. This is more like the Avro Energy we are coming to know and despise.

You might get your bank to recall/refund the latest DD if you explain that you have switched to a new supplier.

For future reference - always cancel energy DDs as soon as the new supplier has confirmed the switch (for both fuels in the case of dual fuel tariffs).

Good luck.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • DennisTenusDennisTenus Forumite
    458 posts
    Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    If you cancel the DD though doesnt that stop the old provider refunding any credit?
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you cancel the DD though doesnt that stop the old provider refunding any credit?
    That's what they would like you to believe but it's not true. If they say they cannot refund to your account then they can send a cheque in the post.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Was guided to Avro Energy through the energy club a few wks ago and decided to switch to them after reading favourable reviews.
    Obviously wanting to switch to get a better deal, but after only a few wks I’m actually out of pocket already with Avro.
    I pay by direct debit as I’m on a monthly wage and paid at end of every month. I had one email from Avro to say about switch over which was 3rd nov, so waited on reply from them to get final reading and what my payments would be and when they would be coming off.
    But checked my bank statement on Friday past, and noticed they had taken a full payment off , less than wk after I paid my dd to my old supplier, thus making me overdrawn at the bank & will now incur bank charges.
    Called Avro to tell them my predicament & got little sympathy.
    Was told they take a payment after 21 days when I started the wheels in motion to switch, even though the actual date of switch was 3/11!
    So basically in the process of trying to save a little money, I’m paying in excess of £150+ for my troubles.
    Tied into a contract for 18 mths as cooling off period was 14 days. So here is one of the pitfalls of switching your supplier.
    Not happy at all
  • DobbibillDobbibill Forumite, Board Guide
    3.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is one of the things called out about Avro - they state they will take a DD in advance.

Here's the info from CEC about it
    Company info: Avro Energy is a small independent supplier, based in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. The firm launched in December 2015, and now has around 500,000 customers.
    Further info: Avro Energy takes direct debits in advance, so your first payment will be taken 21 days after applying to switch.
    While not ideal, this is standard procedure for them.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
  • waveletswavelets Forumite
    1.2K posts
    red_robin wrote: »
    Was guided to Avro Energy through the energy club a few wks ago and decided to switch to them after reading favourable reviews.
    Obviously wanting to switch to get a better deal, but after only a few wks I’m actually out of pocket already with Avro.
    I pay by direct debit as I’m on a monthly wage and paid at end of every month. I had one email from Avro to say about switch over which was 3rd nov, so waited on reply from them to get final reading and what my payments would be and when they would be coming off.
    But checked my bank statement on Friday past, and noticed they had taken a full payment off , less than wk after I paid my dd to my old supplier, thus making me overdrawn at the bank & will now incur bank charges.
    Called Avro to tell them my predicament & got little sympathy.
    Was told they take a payment after 21 days when I started the wheels in motion to switch, even though the actual date of switch was 3/11!
    So basically in the process of trying to save a little money, I’m paying in excess of £150+ for my troubles.
    Tied into a contract for 18 mths as cooling off period was 14 days.
    So here is one of the pitfalls of switching your supplier.
    Not happy at all

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74780609&postcount=279 :cool:

You are not "tied into" any contract involviong the supply of domestic energy, although you may have to pay early exit fees if you cancel early if you did not switch direct with the supplier.
    There are no early exit fees for those that switch direct with the supplier, and if you switched via a comparison site, hopefully you will get some cashback ... and perhaps some more if you switch supplier again.

Even ignoring the possible cashback, if the early exit fees are less than the £150+ you claim you are incuring, then I suggest you switch again.

You are fully covered by the terms of the direct debit guarantee if any amount was taken without the proper advance notice, and that includes consequential loss (bank charges resulting). If applicable, make such a claim direct with your bank