Forum Home» Energy

Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback - Page 48

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

edited 7 July at 10:38AM in Energy
1.9K replies 275.6K views

Replies

• kibblerokkibblerok Forumite
    100 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    That's odd! Never heard of that happening before

How did you know they'd only switched the electric?

Received an email on the day from economy energy, my old supplier saying they had cancelled the electric DD and notice I can add electric readings to the area on Avros site.

Nothing from Avro though, not even an automated email or prompt asking for an opening reading - the online page still says i'm switching to the on the 2nd September.

Will see what they come up with.
  • edited 16 October 2018 at 8:29PM
    ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 October 2018 at 8:29PM
    I have now been with Avro for over 6 months. No bill supplied, 3 meter readings since starting and still shows estimate. . .
    Hi AdeandDenise and welcome to the forum.

That's shocking for a supplier claiming to send statements monthly.

If you switched to Avro using MSE Energy Club then you might get some help if you email your problem to them.

I would suggest you send your next meter readings by email including meter snapshots as attachments - as well as submitting them online. If you have been requesting statements for eight weeks or more then you might want to consider submitting a complaint to the Ombudsman. You may get a quicker result if you warn Avro of this intention if you have not received statements within, say, seven or 14 days.

If you are registered with Facebook, some have had success by posting complaints there.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Biggus_DickusBiggus_Dickus Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    kibblerok wrote: »
    I would steer clear of these. Trying to switch to them for gas and electric, only the electric made it through.

I had to do the chasing on this, after being told an email would arrive to confirm my gas switch - it didn't arrive, chased again and told it would be just under two weeks ago, still not switched.

On the original call I asked for the Direct Debit to be pushed back to fit in with my other bills - received an email to confirm my next payment would be on this date - original DD came out along with another on the new date a week after that.

They are woefully understaffed and getting through on the phone is impossible - additionally their phone lines close at 5.30pm!

I always look to get value from my utilities, but I like to keep things simple and hassle free... These guys are a nightmare, if you value your time - i'd avoid.

Similar’ish problem with my switch but nothing to do with the supplier as such.

Almost 8 weeks since my supply start date but my opening gas reading has still not been ‘industry verified’. The electricity reading was ‘industry verified’ within days but without a verified gas reading there is no final bill... and no credit refund, which is substantial!
    Always supplied accurate and timely readings as required (even sent photos) but Avro say they can’t even approach the gas verification mob until 8 weeks have elapsed.

No idea why it should take so long. I’ve changed dual-fuel supplier several times and never encountered this problem before and I haven’t moved house or anything like that.

Have they been overwhelmed by the number of gas meter readings they need to verify? ...I reckon they’re still using old gas powered computers, which are notoriously slow.

• I have harangued them again this morning on both Twitter and Facebook and have finally had a response, and a final statement. Avro Energy now know what amount they need to refund me, and will do it "at the end of the week". I have requested interest to be paid on the account credit amount since my switch 05-Sep-2018 until 12-Oct-2018: 37 days.
    To conclude my own tale ...
    My refund from Avro appeared in my bank account 16-Oct-2018. I was pleased to see they had cancelled the DD. Not surprisingly Avro refused to pay interest on the account balance (interest free loan).
    I have written to both my MP and BBC ‘You and yours’ about this energy industry practice of holding onto credit balances longer than necessary; neither has responded.
    Perhaps the most practical action I can take is to move my contract end from early autumn to spring and see what tariffs will cost: it would suit me better to have my contract end in debit rather than £200+ credit. I always select a fixed price contract with zero exit fee.
  • alanwsgalanwsg Forumite
    622 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    it would suit me better to have my contract end in debit rather than £200+ credit. I always select a fixed price contract with zero exit fee.

The problem with that is Avro will block the transfer if you're in debit.
    Then you've got another mess to sort out.

There are posts earlier in this thread where it's happened.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 17 October 2018 at 11:24AM
    ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 October 2018 at 11:24AM
    alanwsg wrote: »
    The problem with that is Avro will block the transfer if you're in debit.
    Then you've got another mess to sort out.

There are posts earlier in this thread where it's happened.
    The trick is to make an additional payment as you approach the end of the contract. At that point it should be fairly easy to estimate the cost of your usage until the switch date so you finish with just a small credit balance.

On this point I have a major issue with the likes of Avro:

The Standard Licence Conditions 14.4 provide that a supplier may block a switch on the grounds of debt "if at the time the request is made Outstanding Charges are due to the licensee . . . "

where Outstanding Charges are defined as: "the amount of any Charges for the Supply of Gas [or Electricity] which are due to the licensee from a Domestic Customer, have been demanded of that Domestic Customer by the licensee in Writing at least 28 days previously and remain unpaid;"

So, if you pay by direct debit, when has the debt been demanded ?

A statement is not a demand for payment. Is it ?

Any thoughts, anyone ?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • joe134joe134 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    I have now been with Avro for over 6 months. No bill supplied, 3 meter readings since starting and still shows estimate.
    Scottish Power may have been more but their information was instant.
    Seriously, how difficult is it to set up an online billing facility? Left work early today and tried to call them, the phone lines closed at 12:30 for planned maintenance. REALLY??????? :eek:
    One more week before I kick them into touch.

:mad::mad:
    I have been with SP for years, with no complaints,and my fixed deal is up dec, with my dual fuel to rise approx £200pa.
    I thought I may look around, see if it is worth moving, Martin is forever espousing why we should.
    Why are most of these supposedly cheaper offers, only via MSE’s with cashback, couldn’t,be the commission could it.:rotfl:

Reading this review and several others, of supposedly good small companies via MSE’s, me thinks I would be wise and stay with SP,these small companies just do not seem able to cope!
    I am having difficulty finding any small company who does not have bad reviews or bad press, and going bust with more regularity!
    Who wants to change every year?
    Too much competition is worse than too little now:(
    Sometime it is better the devil you know.
  • edited 19 October 2018 at 10:56AM
    cranfordcranford Forumite
    797 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 19 October 2018 at 10:56AM
    Hi Joe134, I was with SP for a good number of years and switched to Avro 2 and a half years ago. I always enter readings every month and check the bills monthly and have never had any problems.. So in that time I have saved £500 compared with SP. I have also checked Avro tariffs from time to time and once changed to a cheaper tariff before my year was up. I did my last tariff fix by email a good few weeks before the due date but before the latest MSE group switch to Avro.
    So normally I have no need to contact Avro but I am always in credit which only drops to the value of the 1st advanced DD - ie about £100.
    Avro does seem to have some office problems at the moment and seem reluctant to pay back credit balances and let customers switch who are in debt. I think they are just hanging on the the advance DD payments. But I am sure they have many thousands of customers like me.
  • @joe134 I think it is fair to assume that contented customers do not generally use social media or web forums to praise their supplier. As someone who has recently left Avro I was quite happy with them as my supplier for fixed price/term energy, simply another supplier proved cheaper at the point of renewal.
    When my mother’s contract came around to renewal, Avro offered the cheapest deal and so she is still an Avro customer.
    Obviously you are happy to pay whatever the premium is to be a loyal customer to SP. I would rather have that money in my pocket.
    For several years I have been on fixed price/term contracts with a number of suppliers: I do the same with my home and car insurances. I also manage those same contracts for my elderly mother. It takes a few hours a year.
    The search criteria I apply are: fixed, no exit penalty. Of my recent suppliers none has paid commission to MSE, Quidco, or similar.
  • edited 19 October 2018 at 11:02AM
    Biggus_DickusBiggus_Dickus Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 19 October 2018 at 11:02AM
    @joe134 I think it is fair to assume that contented customers do not generally use social media or web forums to praise their supplier. As someone who has recently left Avro I was quite happy with them as my supplier for fixed price/term energy, simply another supplier proved cheaper at the point of renewal.
    When my mother’s contract came around to renewal, Avro offered the cheapest deal and so she is still an Avro customer.
    Obviously you are happy to pay whatever the premium is to be a loyal customer to SP. I would rather have that money in my pocket.
    For several years I have been on fixed price/term contracts with a number of suppliers: I do the same with my home and car insurances. I also manage those same contracts for my elderly mother. It takes a few hours a year.
    The search criteria I apply are: fixed, no exit penalty. Of my recent suppliers none has paid commission to MSE, Quidco, or similar.
    Mirrors my sentiments exactly Andrew.

Avro have definitely been feeling the pressure of dealing with a large influx of customers over recent months and their customer service levels have dipped (many would say!) to unacceptable levels;...I’m sure they’ll bounce back given time.

Switching from one of the Big-6 suppliers to a minnow company can be a leap of faith, but countless thousands have done it in recent times no doubt lured by a much cheaper tariff,...which is reason enough in my book.

Customer service levels from some of the minnows may be at bit clunky at times but if you want the rainbow, sometimes you need to put up with the rain.

However, that’s not to say customer service from the Big-6 is always flawless. I was a ScottishPower customer for many years but they went into some sort of meltdown a few years ago and things went downhill,...chaotically and rapidly.

Along with countless other customers I was treated appallingly by ScottishPower in a fiasco that lasted for about 18 months. It culminated in ScottishPower being fined £18M by OFGEM for severe customer service failings.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/scottishpower-pay-18m-customer-service-failings.

The minnows can get things wrong,...but so can the Big-6. :eek: