Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That's roughly how I see it too. For example, EDF are currently trying to service a 6 - 8 week backlog - probably for the same reason as Avro. i.e. an MSE big-switch.

The emerging lesson seems to be that if you want a quiet life with your energy supplier, your chances are improved by selecting a supplier who is not involved in one. But then, when I joined Avro they wern't. It's like playing with dice.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Thanks guys, I have not ruled out moving, and Avro was/is in my sights.
    I have moved before, long time ago to Sp, I do it with house and car every year.
    At present, the fixed tariff I am on now, until dec, can only be bettered by about £70, but, as I have a /£60 penalty , no point moving yet.
    However, as you rightly say, £200 is a different matter:)
    However, one cannot get £200 switching annually, once maybe, or if you are on standard tariff, and I would not switch yearly to save a pound a week, too much hassle.
    My last switch did not go without trouble, that is why I am still there!
    This is the largest hike I will incur, if I do not switch:(
    I do believe I can move 50 days early, without penalty, which is 15th November approx?
    I have seen a fixed rate SP are supposed to be offering in the D mail today, along with umpteen others,but it is not on Sp,s site ?
    One year fix for £1070 pa instead of £1270 what Sp are offering me to stay come dec?
    All the little boys seem to have caught up to my existing tariff, so will keep monitoring it.
    I am registered on MSE’s big switch and u switches also.
    Bit of a minefield at present.:beer:
  • alipali9
    alipali9 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I changed to Avro in July. At the time it was the cheapest fix for me. Everything went according to plan on the correct dates. I put my readings in monthly on the correct dates. I am well in credit at this point in time which was expected. I had not received monthly statements so I sent an e mail today. This was replied to within two and a half hours. Vicky from Avro apologised and corrected my account. I have no complaints whatsoever.
  • joe134
    alipali9 wrote: »
    I changed to Avro in July. At the time it was the cheapest fix for me. Everything went according to plan on the correct dates. I put my readings in monthly on the correct dates. I am well in credit at this point in time which was expected. I had not received monthly statements so I sent an e mail today. This was replied to within two and a half hours. Vicky from Avro apologised and corrected my account. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Hi, how is it most users are well in credit with Avro?
    I have just become in credit, £30,with Sp, after being nearly £300 debit, due to high winter usage.
    sp never bother to raise my DD, so I just let it ride, till it sorts itself out, as it always does.
    I send monthly readings via iPad for both .
    Sooner in my bank than thiers:)
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2018 at 6:48PM
    Avro take the first DD 2 weeks before the switch takes place. In my case they have had £100 for 2 and a half years so I have lost about £2 in interest. On the plus side I have saved about £500 compared with SP fixed tariffs.
  • Leear
    Leear Posts: 59 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2018 at 11:44AM
    By the end of this month I will have finished my first year with Avro and be £200 in credit.:(

Avro have just told me "If you submit your readings just before the end of October, once your next statement is generated this will show any remaining credit left after your first year and you can then claim this back as a credit refund." :bdaycake:

To build up my £200 credit I pay them £82 per month.

I have asked Avro to reduce this to £70 per month, to better reflect my actual usage and still be in credit:)

Avro tell me "Having checked your details I can see that you renewed online, in which case the system will work from the estimated annual usage figures in an industry database, for your property and that will be £88 per month by DD

If i renew with Avro at £88 per month, (taking into account higher energy prices and the same yearly usage ) by next October, I will still be around £200 in credit! So it's Groundhog day:eek:

Now this leaves me with a paradox:o (of Avro's making) do i inflate may last metre reading (at a lower Kw cost) and reduce my bills for next year or be totally honest and just get the actual total credit back and keep on overpaying and build up around £240 credit by next year?:(
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Leear wrote: »

Now this leaves me with a paradox:o (of Avro's making) do i inflate may last metre reading (at a lower Kw cost) and reduce my bills for next year or be totally honest and just get the actual total credit back and keep on overpaying and build up around £240 credit by next year?:(

All meter readings are validated and suppliers are required to obtain an actual meter reading once every 12 months. The Data Collectors hold the historical usage data for your property - going back 70 years in some cases. Usage data is adjusted for temperature variations. If a supplier sense that something untoward is going on, they will just send out a meter reader.
  • joe134
    Hengus wrote: »
    All meter readings are validated and suppliers are required to obtain an actual meter reading once every 12 months. The Data Collectors hold the historical usage data for your property - going back 70 years in some cases. Usage data is adjusted for temperature variations. If a supplier sense that something untoward is going on, they will just send out a meter reader.

I thought that companies had to refund every 12 months, over a certain amount in credit ?
    It’s alright saying you only lose coppers in interest, but, when they have millions earning interest for them, then it is not coppers.
    Pennies make pounds, it is the principal surely!
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2018 at 1:50PM
    Leear wrote: »
    . . .
    Avro tell me "Having checked your details I can see that you renewed online, in which case the system will work from the estimated annual usage figures in an industry database, for your property and that will be £88 per month by DD. . .
    If you refer to your final statement it should indicate your estimated annual usage (both fuels) for the next twelve months (presumably, these figures are from the industry database). Plug those values into the CEC comparison site to see what is the estimated annual cost (based on the new tariff rates) and divide by twelve. That should give you the DD amount required.

If Avro have accounted for your £200 credit balance then the DD should be lower than above by around £16pm (200/12). If they have not allowed for your credit balance then I would suggest you make a written request for the £200 to be refunded or the DD to be reduced accordingly.

Love to know how you get on. :)

Edit
    Because you are switching at the start of winter, Avro tends to increase the DD initially. If that's the case, it should be reduced in the spring (if your consumption is on track with estimated annual consumption).
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Rosemary
    Rosemary Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    We switched to Avro last year and the monthly rate is £67, (not the £80 stated on our cheap energy club info). It's time for renewal. Avro emailed us and I followed the link for a new quote, comes to £95!!!
    The cheap energy comparison gives a quote of £78. Why the difference? I rang Avro (after a wait of 20 mins) and spoke to a young man who said that the new rate takes into account our usage. We have paid £67 for twelve months - total £804, plus the £110 we are in debit, comes to £914 for the year. the new rate means we would pay £1140 for the year!! Why charge us £200 more??? Going to call them again!:mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback