3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge!!

Options

Comments

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Hey, Mila, I've found rounding up my outgoings and rounding down my income means I always come out ahead, be it by pennies or pounds (or dollars, or cents, all makes good sense :)) y'all.

Sorry, could not resist once I found out you are SW US based. How did you find this site, if one might make so bold as to ask?

:hello::hello::hello: Smodlet, you made me grin!

I came here after reading Ilona Richard's blog on frugal living. She recommended the site and once here, well I'm just hooked. Such a fun, encouraging, smart group of people!!! I'm enjoying learning about our similarities and differences. The tremendously helpful advice to be more responsible and save has really lifted my psyche. I have become more conscious of food waste, wants vs needs, emergency funds,...the list goes on and on!

I had not thought of rounding our income down. I'm snagging that idea!:)
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning Everyone.... :)

Been a heck of a Week....My Life seems to be very hectic right now....Just have to keep on going!!

Nothing to Report moneywise from me....

Dobbibill - I hope you're well hun, thank you for helping out on this Thread....you're a Star!! xXx :)

Mooloo - I've Updated the First Page....You're doing AWESOME and it looks like you're able to juggle, which is great xXx :)

Smodlet - I've Updated the First Page...You're doing BRILLIANTLY!! Don't be defeated hun....I believe there is no reason why we can't save AND pay off Debt....although I know that is controversial....But it CAN be done and I know you can do it hun xXx :)

JCUK - I've Updated the First Page....Keep going you're doing AMAZING!! It is slowly growing bit by bit...and will continue to grow xXx :)

milasavesmoney - I've Updated the First Page....Keep going...You're doing BRILLIANTLY!! xXx :)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey, guys, just wanted to say thank you to you all (y'all) and especially to Mila; you made me a bit less lonely during my long night alone, due to the time difference. You snag away, my lovely, that is what this site is all about, innit?

You are so right, most of the people on here absolutely rock, and Dobbi was the first person to reply to me; so gently, politely, not what I thought social media was like... until I found the trolls' replies to one of my threads but, with the support and good sense of the cool people on there, I decided to stay... and the trolls can !!!! it up!

I just wish I had started years ago, the stuff I could have done better, never mind. Just wanted to bore all o' y'all with that. Sorry, True Blood fan... other vampire shows are available. :D
  • WatWing
    WatWing Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all!

20 from me this week, so up to 90! Soo close to 100!

Watwing
  • Smodlet
    Options
    I just looked up Ilona Richards, recognised her instantly from a certain money-saving programme about scrimping on a super level. She's the one who only ever buys food once it's been marked down to sell off before it goes off. While being very impressed with how much she acquired for how little, gotta say I would never have used nine tenths of it, myself. Maybe she likes everything she bought but there's no point buying bargain stuff if you won't use it. She was a scream, though.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    #2 Monthly update

added a further £239.14 but had to get new tyres so £50 out, so new total is £6817.20 aka 78.36%.
    That's a rise of over 2.5% - yay

off to update my signature :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Get a load of you, Dobbi, well done. :)
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I am still juggling.
    I have decided to move all my savings pots around and put them together in two accounts just now, ready to replace the car, and keep the emergency funds growing. The holiday is less likely to happen, but we already had one at Easter.
    So I have £830 in the emergency fund and £1,480 in the car fund. The others are now all below £8 each just to keep the accounts open, and once I've achieved my two most important goals then I will look at them again.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • stoplurking
    stoplurking Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all
    Payday has rolled round again and only a small amount added to EF this month. Going on a short break in Europe this month and haven't bought my €€€s yet, oops, might get rubbish exchange rate now! Ah well, live on bread and water.

You're all doing great. Helen, thanks for doing the updates even when your own life is so busy. My fund now sits at 800/4000, 20%.
    MFIT -T5 #42
  • sophieo16
    sophieo16 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,

Small update from me before payday on the 28th.

I have syncing funds set up for all things car related, this as well as Bday and christmas costs. My car insurance is due on the 1st july so my renewal information had come through the post and the cost had increased slightly on last year. I went online and managed to get it £177 cheaper!

I had the money saved up just short of the renewal cost so as i found such a cheaper deal i have £145 left over which i want to add to my emergency fund :)

#5 £1936.64/£3000 (64.55%):j

I plan to add more come payday and then interest later in the month!

Slowly but surely getting there. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Sophie
    Mortgage Feb 2023- £249,210 MFW 2023 #20: £524.05/£500 (104.81%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure