Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• splitjewel
    Options
    Well at end of contract.
    I was interested in sky F1 so ended up with an advisor offering me it £11.80. I queried this so was transferred all over place only to be told that was not an offer available.
    So on I went with cancelling and explained the offer Sky did not up hold. The advisor said he would ring me back but never did.
    So I ring back couple days later to say I wasn't called back and wish to end my service with sky after being messed around and the fact series link is buggy which they admit
    So I tried allot all tactics and the best u got was basicly
    35% for 9 months on my tv absolutely nothing on phone and broadband. So after declining lots of offers that was their best. So any suggestions?
  • savvy69er
    Options
    I've been with Sky since 1996 haven't been in contract for the last 4 years so rang up today to see if I could get a better deal . I have the Variety Bundle and Sky Movies , I explained it was getting expensive and I was thinking of leaving , could they offer me any deals , The CS rep was great he immediately said he could give me a 35% discount , I said that would be great if I was getting the package I really wanted The Family Bundle with Box Sets " I'll see what I can do he said came back to me a few minutes later and offered me the same discount but with the Bundle I want & a brand new sky HD box for nothing ( because I have an old box ) , and gave me the advice to ring again ( customer retentions ) before my offer runs out apparently they will do their best to keep it at the level set or lower it ..I'm quite happy saved £163.00 a year and got the Package I really wanted
  • Riggsy68
    Riggsy68 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. When my deal ran out in December, I called Sky threatening to cancel as I knew they would offer me a deal to keep me. They did. They knocked a 'whopping' £10.00 a month of my £109 bill. I realise I should have negotiated further but the guy on the other end said that was the best they could do, so I agreed and am tied in for another 12 months. Today I received a letter informing me they are increasing their charges by £5.00 per month. This has made me livid, as it pretty much puts me back where I was. How can they be allowed to do this after tying you in to a 12 month negotiated 'deal'? More to the point, is it worth me complaining?
  • unbeareableLightness
    Options
    just checked my online account - nope nothing, except the usual 6 month upgrade offers. It isn't even clear in my account that I've cancelled the TV. Is this highly unusual?

Should I contact stay with sky or wait a bit more?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    just checked my online account - nope nothing, except the usual 6 month upgrade offers. It isn't even clear in my account that I've cancelled the TV. Is this highly unusual?

Should I contact stay with sky or wait a bit more?

...Sounds like you haven't been cancelled ? I got an email a few days after cancellation telling me what my final bill amount would be, obviously less than a full month because of the cancellation. Think I also got a "sorry to see you go" email fairly soon after cancellation but I don't appear to have kept that one:)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Riggsy68 wrote: »
    Hi. When my deal ran out in December, I called Sky threatening to cancel as I knew they would offer me a deal to keep me. They did. They knocked a 'whopping' £10.00 a month of my £109 bill. I realise I should have negotiated further but the guy on the other end said that was the best they could do, so I agreed and am tied in for another 12 months. Today I received a letter informing me they are increasing their charges by £5.00 per month. This has made me livid, as it pretty much puts me back where I was. How can they be allowed to do this after tying you in to a 12 month negotiated 'deal'? More to the point, is it worth me complaining?
    The deal is a fixed percentage reduction and their terms state that they can raise the prices (and they do,every year).

Your mistake was accepting a reduction of less than 10%; most good offers only appearing after you actually cancel ('threats' to leave don't work).
  • Imlay
    Imlay Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Phoned Sky this morning to try and get the cost of our package down. The gentleman in retentions was only able to offer 35% off for 9 months on our TV package. I have just checked our account on the TV(didn't know that you could do this until I read this thread!) and there is an offer for 50% off our current package for 12 months.

My question is do I accept this or if I wait should this go up? Thank you
  • unbeareableLightness
    Options
    I have a similar question. I got in touch with the Come Back to Sky live chat and they offered me 50% off the Original bundle for 12 months. Is that as good as I can get? I'm thinking of going on Freeview for a few months then go back as a new customer. Is that a better strategy?

Also, I got a good deal on broadband by quoting Talk Talk's Simply Broadband deal. I got Sky to give me free broadband for 12 months. Now the question is, what are the chances they may up the price of line rental again in the next year?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The best they offered us was 10% off.

They said that was the best they could do and asked if we wanted to cancel. We said yes.

That was 2 weeks ago and they have not been in touch so looks like the end of sky for us.
  • bc1981
    bc1981 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all,

Just wanted to get your opinion - I'm currently with Sky, out of contract now (probably been with them for a year and 9 months or so). I had a letter through the post from Virgin offering the Big Kahuna bundle with Movies and Sports, and an extra box, and 200MB broadband for £45 a month for the first year, then going up to £90 a month afterwards, on an 18 month contract.

I'm currently paying £90+ for the full TV package with Sky (including the HD and Asia pack). I got in touch with Sky via their online chat, and told them about the offer from Virgin, and the best they could offer me was 35% off the basic package (so not on the HD part, or the Asia pack) - bring the price down to around £70 a month. I told them that this isn't good enough and left it at that. I've checked on My Sky, and there are no offers there. I can't even see an option for offers on the interactive service.

Do you think that this is the best they can offer, any further haggling tips would be appreciated (should I phone them instead?)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback