Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• bugslife
    bugslife Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Currently have 50% off whole Sky tv package and paying £7 a month for sky fibre broadband. 12 month deal ends next month, phoned them yesterday, they would only offer me 20% off tv, which matched an offer they'd sent in post and would offer nothing on broadband which will o up to £20 a month.Spent one and a half hours on live chat but they wouldn't offer anything better so I cancelled.Don't know whether to wait to see if they offer anything on broadband or just go to BT who have fibre for £12.50 a month at present. Will wait for tv and see what happens
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bugslife wrote: »
    Currently have 50% off whole Sky tv package and paying £7 a month for sky fibre broadband. 12 month deal ends next month, phoned them yesterday, they would only offer me 20% off tv, which matched an offer they'd sent in post and would offer nothing on broadband which will o up to £20 a month.Spent one and a half hours on live chat but they wouldn't offer anything better so I cancelled.Don't know whether to wait to see if they offer anything on broadband or just go to BT who have fibre for £12.50 a month at present. Will wait for tv and see what happens

Hopefully you haven't cancelled the broadband ,just the TV ??
    If you have cancelled b/band then don't leave it too long because they will instruct BT to raise a cease, who will chop your broadband off -better to find a new provider first to allow a painless take over of the service without the dreaded cease fee....and a period without the internet!!:)
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options
    Then you are still in contract until October 2016. It's doubtful if you will be successful in negotiating a good discount as they still have you by the short and curlies until your contract ends.

Could I pay off early the rest of the multi room subscription ?
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options
    Ok cancelled today...

Had to pay extra for multi room ending early.....
    They offered 10% off but I declined, let's see what happens
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options
    Just checked account and see there is 35% off any Sky tv bundle.

Will see if the 50% arrives there, and then maybe push for the £100 credit
  • tarkytarks
    tarkytarks Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check on the My Sky app or via the TV, my account online gives me an offer of 35% off but My Sky app offers me the 50% discount. I'm going to leave it until the last minute to "rejoin" so we don't loose any service. By then I might get the credit offer as well...
  • pkempc
    pkempc Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Cancelled my Sky package after 12 months contract was up & asked them to downgrade my box to Freesat. You keep the dish & box but only get all the free channels. If you want to record programmes you pay £10/month - thats it.
    https://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/
    Assume 1st – then check the facts!
  • benwarwick123
    Options
    pkempc wrote: »
    Cancelled my Sky package after 12 months contract was up & asked them to downgrade my box to Freesat. You keep the dish & box but only get all the free channels. If you want to record programmes you pay £10/month - thats it.
    www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/

If you cancel sky though they will offer 50% off any package and as the cheapest is £20 you'd pay £10 and have access to some sky channels. If you only want freesat your better off buying a box off ebay etc.
  • unbeareableLightness
    Options
    Hello, I'm about a year past the end of my contract and tried to haggle with Sky. I thought it would be easy but haven't got very far - don't know what I'm doing wrong!

I was on the Original bundle with phone and broadband on £50 a month. I called saying I was thinking of leaving. The (not particularly nice chap on the phone) offered 20% off for 10 months and then back up to £44 afterwards. I said that is not a great deal and that I've seen lots of better offers out there. I said I have to think about it.

I called back a day later and said I don't think this is a good deal and to go ahead and cancel the TV part. I expected them to offer me something better at this point, but the lady on the phone just said, Okie dokie and it was cancelled.

Then I thought a week or so after I placed the cancellation order I would have them calling me with better offers (I've seen people say that happens online). But nothing so far.

Now the question is should I contact their Come Back to Sky department - which would indicate interest on my part, or should I just keep waiting. I've seen on forums that you get the best offers around 1 week before the notice period is up. If I do contact them, considering that I only want the Original bundle, how far can I push it you think?

Also, I'm thinking about actually just going through with cancellation, just have freeview and add something like Now TV. Can I use the sky box for freeview and still have the record/pause/rewind options automatically when the notice period is up, or do I need them to set that up somehow?

Thanks all!
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Have you checked your Sky Account page on the internet or on your actual TV to see if there are any offers there?

I'd be very surprised if there weren't.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback