Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,499
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    redmalc wrote: »
    been a Sky customer for 18 years paying £87 per month just gone on short time working and called them yesterday and got no help so i cancelled.
    genuine case got jack sh,t

...more and more examples of Sky hardening their attitude on initial contact -even more reasons to actually cancel:T
  • Phoned today as was out of contract. Offered 10 percent off for 9 months which I declined. Went right through and actually cancelled To see if they'd offer anything else if I stood firm, even though I want to keep my subscription. I then called back later and took the 10 percent deal. It was a different guy and I tried to see if he could offer anything else first. He didn't, and when I questioned if there were better offers he interestingly said they had all their offers taken off them the previous week and were only allowed to give 10% now. Seems consistent as I spoke to two different guys, one on the phone and one online and still got offered the same deal. I took it as I want to keep my tv as we do use it. Our bill was 75 so it still amounts to 7.50 off a month which is a bonus for us. Plus we are only in contract for 9 months and then can renegotiate again.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,431
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Stephy offered 35% discount yesterday
  • We are out of contract at the end of this month so as with other utilities and bills rang to see what offers were available for us. We currently have Sky TV with the Original bundle, Sports and HD for around £58pm.
    I first rang and spoke to and advisor who told me that he could only offer 10% off our bill, even though I went through the 'it's a luxury not a necessity,' conversation. He said all other offers were currently off the table and then started going through which channels we watch etc. I said if we discuss channels is there a better deal but he just said he'd remove items we didn't use but the offer was still 10%.
    I rang 3 more times but was only offered the same.
    Slightly put out, I thought I'd look here for advice. We've been with Sky for a number of years and on each renewal ring and are only ever offered reduction of services or small discount. So I looked around to see what else was on offer and came across this forum.
    So slightly dubious, I cancelled and hey presto within minutes on our online account and via the TV, a 50% discount was offered on any bundle.
    I would have been chuffed with this last week but having read this decided to be braver and entered into Sky chat 3 times. I thought bringing broadband etc too may give a better deal but it was still the 'amazing 50%' as they called it!
    So after reading the forum for clarity again I spoke via chat to a man and said 'it's not service, that's great, it's purely cost etc...' He said I understand but I can't do anything more and asked if he could put me through to the win back team. 'Of course, ' I replied.
    I assume from the name given, it was a gentleman from the Indian call centre who was very helpful and immediately offered 50% and £100 credit -result. No haggling was required and no contract and I can give 31 days notice to cancel. He did say I had to give a quick decision as someone else was asking for the same deal and he only had limited codes....hmmm I thought but decided not to proceed with that line of enquiry as happy with deal offered.
    So we have Original ours is £21.50 due to not being on 12 month contract, if this is not exactly true I'm not quibbling over £1.50. - half price.
    Sports and now movies £10.75
    Total 28.00 pm. We removed HDas we don't use it
    So thanks to everyone for comments, it's a massive saving and if you don't ask you don't get unfortunately.
    Good luck everyone....now just to sort the LPG 2year contract....bring on the haggling but that's another story!
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,626
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Already sorted, but a personalised flyer came through about 6 weeks after cancellation offering all the channels with sports & movies for £25 a month. No £100 bill credit on that though which we got through live chat.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Phoned today as was out of contract. Offered 10 percent off for 9 months which I declined. Went right through and actually cancelled To see if they'd offer anything else if I stood firm, even though I want to keep my subscription. I then called back later and took the 10 percent deal. It was a different guy and I tried to see if he could offer anything else first. He didn't, and when I questioned if there were better offers he interestingly said they had all their offers taken off them the previous week and were only allowed to give 10% now. Seems consistent as I spoke to two different guys, one on the phone and one online and still got offered the same deal. I took it as I want to keep my tv as we do use it. Our bill was 75 so it still amounts to 7.50 off a month which is a bonus for us. Plus we are only in contract for 9 months and then can renegotiate again.

You blinked far too quickly!

By giving in within a couple of hours of cancelling you haven't given them a chance to try and entice you back with a much better offer!
  • Hey All

I followed the guide, but it did not work and now I have 31 days to cancel my cancellation, or find an alternative (which I actually don't want) :mad:

I followed it to the letter, using all the advice, but sky just wanted to take things off, rather than give me a discount or better package. at one point sky put me on hold for 7 minutes, but then when they came back just went ahead with the cancellation.

I don't want to lose sky so I am worried they wont come back and offer a better deal
  • I don't want to lose sky so I am worried they wont come back and offer a better deal

Be patient. They will come back to you. Have you checked your Sky account online or via the TV to see if there is an offer there?

Do not worry. If the worst happens and they don't offer you anything, you can cancel your cancellation on the 31st day. Even if you leave it a day or two longer, Sky will let you rejoin you know.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Most people will not get offered a good retentions deal on the phone or chat anymore. Good discounts are unlikely to show up on my sky either (depending on circumstances, of course).

However

Process your cancelation through the chat service (or phone if you wish). As soon as you get the cancellation email (Title: We're sorry your Sky TV entertainment is going to end‏) press 'interactive' on your Sky remote, select 'My Account' and you will get a pop-up stating:
    Your Sky Service is coming to an end. Please continue to find out our exclusive offer

Select 'yes'. and then you will get the following
    Your Sky TV service is coming to an end on DD MM 2016. Press BLUE to find out about an exclusive offer

Press the blue button.

Most people will be offered 50% off there service. Some may get 25%.

I was told by someone I still know at Sky that this is the best 'in contract' (as in on your run-down) offer around for most people. If you let your service terminate you may or may not get a better deal
  • Just to reinforce previous posts, I talked to Sky about my package and was offered 10% discount.
    So, I cancelled and a few minutes later had a 35% offer in my online account and 50% via interactive. Called them, accepted 50% and after a chat was also given £50 credit. The Sky agent was very friendly and it was a pleasant experience overall.
    Many thanks to MSE and everyone who has posted here.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback