Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

edited 25 August 2015 at 2:36PM in Phones & TV
2.2K replies 482.2K views

Replies

• Hi everyone

I have bitten the bullet and given notice to cancel my sky tv today. The advisor I spoke to said that the very best he could do was 68.40 for basic tv, sports broadband and rental. No one in the company can offer better. Have other people been told this thinking that you would cave in?
    Mortgage co-ordinator for a building society

I carry out affordability assessments for new and existing customers.
    I update customers during the application when they call, letting them know where things are at.
    I also answer existing mortgage queries.
  • I have been a Sky customer since Summer 2014. I was paying £17.40/month line rental, £7.50/month unlimited broadband, £2.50/month suppliment for not having Sky TV, plus call charges. I thought it was time to leave Sky and find a better deal. So I began by contacting Sky using their online chat assistance and simply asked the assistant how much notice they require to leave (the answer is 14 days if you are out of contract). This question was enough to spur them into phoning me to discuss a better deal.
    As a result I have just started a new 12 month contract with Sky costing me £17.50 for line rental with FREE broadband and they SCRAPPED the £2.50 suppliment (which in all honesty was never fair). After the 12 months is up the broadband will return to £7.50 but the £2.50 suppliment will NOT return.
    So that's saving me £10 per month.

One thing about Sky, you always have to keep a close eye on your bills because they will try to be sneaky by adding services you haven't asked for. This morning I demanded they reimburse me for charging me for an "Evenings and Weekend Calls" package that I hadn't asked for, which was £4 per month. I only noticed after having this for 2 months, but after calling them they (eventually and reluctantly) refunded £10 onto my account. You always have to be on your guard with Sky, that's the downside, but if you're prepared to put up with their dodgy ways, their deals can be very competitive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have never had services I haven't ordered added by Sky.

It's unwise to generalise based solely on one isolated event.

In this case I suspect the refund was probably only a goodwill gesture rather than any admission that they'd acted incorrectly.
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing about Sky, you always have to keep a close eye on your bills because they will try to be sneaky by adding services you haven't asked for.

Never had anything sneakily added on by Sky.
    This morning I demanded they reimburse me for charging me for an "Evenings and Weekend Calls" package that I hadn't asked for, which was £4 per month.

Everyone was sent an email or a letter about the new Call package changes quite a few months ago. It was clearly stated that December 2015 would be a trial month and then everybody would be moved onto the closest package from January unless they phoned up. Obviously you did not do that so I think Sky have been very fair to reimburse you.
  • Kind of - I just used my "23 years a Sky customer (true!)" argument but the best offer off my £67 per month was 10% for nine months, which is basically £50. Plus I had to sign on for 12 months. I took it as I like Sky and thier GO service is outstanding compared to whats on offer elsewhere...but it suggests to me that currently SKY are NOT in the big discounts game.
  • poppasmurf_bewdleypoppasmurf_bewdley Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kind of - I just used my "23 years a Sky customer (true!)" argument but the best offer off my £67 per month was 10% for nine months, which is basically £50. Plus I had to sign on for 12 months. I took it as I like Sky and thier GO service is outstanding compared to whats on offer elsewhere...but it suggests to me that currently SKY are NOT in the big discounts game.

So you haven't read many other parts of this thread then?

To get a decent offer, YOU HAVE TO CANCEL! Does shouting make it any clearer!
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Correct - I came to the forum AFTER I spoke to Sky. Cancelling felt like a lot of trouble with limited and non-guaranteed upside.
  • dazzaofdagenhamdazzaofdagenham Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    My turn soon.

I can give notice on the 17 March 2016
    I have family with sports and I believe that should be about 87 pounds per month, currently paying 47 which includes a multi room discount and a discount on movies.

Now if I could get the rumoured 60% off and £100 bill credit then I would be over the moon.

Watch this space
  • aggypanthusaggypanthus Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    I was offered a new box, which I really need, BUT only £3 a month off my £30 month package, for 9 months. I didnt accept, but will try again.

I told him I was offered a 30% discount from a salesman outside a shop. still made no difference.
  • redmalcredmalc Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    been a Sky customer for 18 years paying £87 per month just gone on short time working and called them yesterday and got no help so i cancelled.
    genuine case got jack sh,t