Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

edited 25 August 2015 at 2:36PM in Phones & TV
2.2K replies 480K views

Replies

• jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm now scared I won't be able to undo my phone cancellation & keep the same home phone number.

That is the difficulty. You would have been better just to cancel the TV and once you got an offer for that then negotiate the BB/LR.

You can change your mind regarding the LR/BB part.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just called Sky to negotiate my package. We have home phone, broadband plus original HD TV plus sport.
    The best they could offer was 20% off TV plus upgrade to sky fibre half price for 10months.
    I didn't think this was good enough after 16 years, so I cancelled the whole lot.
    I'm now scared I won't be able to undo my phone cancellation & keep the same home phone number.
    Has anyone else done this?

You are unlikely to keep your phone number by cancelling, instead of arranging a transfer with another provider. However,provided you have not yet been switched off, it is possible to reinstate.

TV is no problem, as it can be switched back on at any time and you are likely to get a better offer if it does go off. (You'll still be able to watch the free channels,meanwhile).
  • millermiller Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    teddysmum wrote: »
    TV is no problem, as it can be switched back on at any time and you are likely to get a better offer if it does go off. (You'll still be able to watch the free channels,meanwhile).

This is what I am hoping for (TV switch off day is today/tomorrow*). A friend got 75% + £100 (that was last year though) after 3 weeks with it switched off. The best quoted in the run up to switch off this year is 50% + £50. Will of course post to this thread if anything better is offered.

*Sky advisor said today at any time and we have been charged for a full day today, confirmation email said tomorrow.
  • Thanks for all this advice. I am enjoying see all the savings others are making! We once got a channel package down to 1/2 price :D
    9.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all this advice. I am enjoying see all the savings others are making! We once got a channel package down to 1/2 price :D
    That is the absolute minimum you should accept.
    9.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    miller wrote: »
    This is what I am hoping for (TV switch off day is today/tomorrow*). A friend got 75% + £100 (that was last year though) after 3 weeks with it switched off. The best quoted in the run up to switch off this year is 50% + £50. Will of course post to this thread if anything better is offered.

*Sky advisor said today at any time and we have been charged for a full day today, confirmation email said tomorrow.

I took that offer, as about 10 days to end of their minimum term, I got a good deal on phone and broadband.
  • fimmsfimms Forumite
    43 Posts
    I'd been with Sky for 11yrs and was paying £92/month for phone, fibre and HD TV. Had a very pleasant chat with an online agent but they didn't even attempt to keep me.

(Might have been because BT were offering (pretty much) the same deal for £38/month!)
    9.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    fimms wrote: »
    I'd been with Sky for 11yrs and was paying £92/month for phone, fibre and HD TV. Had a very pleasant chat with an online agent but they didn't even attempt to keep me.

(Might have been because BT were offering (pretty much) the same deal for £38/month!)

But were you dealing with Retentions, as they are the people who make the offers?

Cancellation of tv brings in the offers, too.
  • fimmsfimms Forumite
    43 Posts
    teddysmum wrote: »
    But were you dealing with Retentions, as they are the people who make the offers?

Cancellation of tv brings in the offers, too.

I rang them this morning and got 50% off the TV to keep with Sky. To be honest, I couldn't be doing with the rigmarole of swapping to BT and finding out that the old TV aerial (which is needed for BT TV) didn't work, etc.
  • cjp2kcjp2k Forumite
    31 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Update, I cancelled sky, got no offers online..

Used the online I'm thinking of returning link and got £50 credit, 50% off tv for 12 months and fibre for £10 a month, full price line rental, signed up for 12 month contract and all was well, total cost was £78 per month.

Had a random call last night from sky, asking me to sign up for 12 months contract on the phone and they would give me FREE line rental for 12 months, agreed to that and now the bill is £61.75 per month for 12 months, (12 month contract)

Full Sky Package (Movies + Sport)
    Fibre Unlimited
    HD Pack
    1 x Multiroom
    Line Rental