Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    boybeckham wrote: »
    I have the full TV package with them (no broadband) and called them last week. I was offered 20% off my bill to make it around £70 a month. I told them I was not happy with this and could only afford £50 max. They said the max they could offer was 20%, so I said I would cancel. I'm now hoping that they call me and ask me to stay by offering me something better (happened to a mate of mine). The annoying thing is that my cousin called them the week before me and they gave him 40%. He decided to stay.

let the tv switch off totally and then use the online chat option 'if you have left within the last 12 months'. Minimum you should settle for is around 60% and ask for £100 credit on top. Some including me got 75% plus cash. Dont sign up to any new contract and it should be a rolling monthly one unless you go for a new box.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    boybeckham wrote: »
    I have the full TV package with them (no broadband) and called them last week. I was offered 20% off my bill to make it around £70 a month. I told them I was not happy with this and could only afford £50 max. They said the max they could offer was 20%, so I said I would cancel. I'm now hoping that they call me and ask me to stay by offering me something better (happened to a mate of mine). The annoying thing is that my cousin called them the week before me and they gave him 40%. He decided to stay.

They won't call back. I called them every day spoke to different people until I got the offer I wanted
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • moneyfoolish
    moneyfoolish Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 August 2017 at 2:32PM
    Options
    We've got a Box Sets Bundle with Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Sports HD Pack, Sky Go Extra and Sky Multiscreen with a Sky+ HD box in one room and a Sky+ HD 2TB box in another room. I think this gives us every possible Sky channel although, of course, we don't watch most of them! Last year I paid £46 which was half price for a 12 month contract. I forgot to cancel a month before the contract end so got hit for a month paying £92 which was my own fault and after lots of haggling with multiple people I accepted a new 12 month contract for £52. Initially I had haggled and accepted an 18 month contract at £62 a month but decided it was too much and cancelled it within the 14 day cooling off period. I'm sure I could have done better but I had got fed up with phone calls and live chat by the end!
  • moneyfoolish
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    LOL. Hold on in there. No one will die as a result of no TV for a couple of days. :)
    Tell that to my wife!
  • Bluefusion
    Options
    I'm about to give our 30 days notice as our current sky deal is ending where we were getting 50% off sky box sets so will go going back up to the full price next month of £38.

Our current hd box and dish are around 8 years old and probably on their last legs (few problems recently) I know I can cancel and hopefully renegotiate another 50% off on a rolling contract for 12 months, but has anyone been able to negotiate a decent upgrade to Sky Q? I believe these have to be on an 18 month contract but what prices or deals could one expect, if at all possible? I know new customers can get the Sky Q box sets deal £7pm off for £31pm +£20 install

We would still want box office, but only one Q box, not multi room.
    Thanks
    J
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 August 2017 at 11:49AM
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    When you say "free Sky Q box..."
    does that mean free to rent or free to obtain ?
    Also - what other "small extras" can I get ?
    I have been a Sky customer for a similar time as you...
    I would really appreciate an answer to this question
    Our HD box is 5 years old and starting to play up
    I believe that no brand new HD boxes are available now - so, unless we are willing to accept a refurbished HD box - it looks like a Q box will be our only option - however, I am not willing to pay an extra £12 per month for one !!
    Have just recontracted for 18 months at £31 per month for variety bundle + HD package...
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Just been on the sky website and started a webchat to try and reduce my bill. The sky advisor was very helpful, he asked if he could ring me as it would be easier than typing back and forth.
    We had a good chat very friendly. I explained that I was a long standing customer (15 years) and felt I was paying too much for my package compared to the offers they have to attract new customers, also my sky box is 4 years old and I am having to reboot it at least once a week as it just freezes and the remote does nothing and I have to unplug the box then plug it in again.
    In the end I got £21 a month off my bill for the next ten months and a free engineer visit (normally £60) to look at my box. If it can't be fixed it will be replaced with a like for like replacement
    Be aware that a "like for like" replacement - means a "pre-used" box - no new HD boxes are available nowadays...
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Be aware that a "like for like" replacement - means a "pre-used" box - no new HD boxes are available nowadays...

Wonder how long it will be until the fitters run out of HD boxes to swap??
  • bobstheboy
    bobstheboy Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone with Sky Q cancelled and gone through with it to get a better deal ? What happens when you reconnect because my understanding is an engineers visit is required.

I tried it and was told I would have to return equipment at the end of my contract. After some toing and froing I settled for 30% discount.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    I would really appreciate an answer to this question
    Our HD box is 5 years old and starting to play up
    I believe that no brand new HD boxes are available now - so, unless we are willing to accept a refurbished HD box - it looks like a Q box will be our only option - however, I am not willing to pay an extra £12 per month for one !!
    Have just recontracted for 18 months at £31 per month for variety bundle + HD package...
    I guess that domcaz was wrong in claiming that free Q boxes were available ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback