Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• Bluefusion
    Bluefusion Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was at the end of my current deal, 60% off the box sets, so was paying around £15pm on a rolling contract which next month jumps up to full price of £38pm, I also have a old Sky+HD box.

Called Sky and went straight through to retentions, and after requesting to cancel based on price, was advised they would be happy to extend my current deal for a further 12 months for £15.20pm, when I asked what other deals they had as I was also concerned the hardware was getting very old, I was offered an upgrade to the Sky Q 1tb box on a 12 month contract (not 18) and the box sets for the same price of £15.20pm for 12 months. Just had to pay £20 install fee. I was happy with this so went for it, engineer all booked and email through confirming price and Sky Q contract are both 12 months.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bluefusion wrote: »
    I was at the end of my current deal, 60% off the box sets, so was paying around £15pm on a rolling contract which next month jumps up to full price of £38pm, I also have a old Sky+HD box.

Called Sky and went straight through to retentions, and after requesting to cancel based on price, was advised they would be happy to extend my current deal for a further 12 months for £15.20pm, when I asked what other deals they had as I was also concerned the hardware was getting very old, I was offered an upgrade to the Sky Q 1tb box on a 12 month contract (not 18) and the box sets for the same price of £15.20pm for 12 months. Just had to pay £20 install fee. I was happy with this so went for it, engineer all booked and email through confirming price and Sky Q contract are both 12 months.

That's good. So they are offering good deals on sky Q. I'm on £18.50 a month on sports plus movies so let's see if they match that in a few months when that deal runs out lol.

By the way what does the engineer do to fit sky Q??? Is there a new dish and is multiro needed ? Also does Q work on other isps apart from sky fibre ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    By the way what does the engineer do to fit sky Q??? Is there a new dish and is multiro needed ? Also does Q work on other isps apart from sky fibre ?

It's a new LNB needed on the end of the dish, note that they generally will only fit a Q type LNB making your old box unusable. If you want both then you need a hybrid LNB (which Sky are loath to give you) but you can buy them. £31 off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/7555564149/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502521847&sr=8-1&keywords=sky+hybrid+lnb

Multiroom is not needed and of course Q works on any ISP.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I guess that domcaz was wrong in claiming that free Q boxes were available ?

I guess he was right.
  • beckett110
    Options
    I called up yesterday to cancel as I was paying £60 per month for the original TV package with the unlimited fibre broadband and the phone. I told them I was thinking of moving to Talktalk as they are offering sky sports, sky cinema and fibre broadband for £43 per month and they offered me 40% off including the full sports and sky cinema package for £65 per month for 18 months, I just had to pay a £10 admin fee so I managed to upgrade to having sports and cinema for an extra £5 per month.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    beckett110 wrote: »
    I called up yesterday to cancel as I was paying £60 per month for the original TV package with the unlimited fibre broadband and the phone. I told them I was thinking of moving to Talktalk as they are offering sky sports, sky cinema and fibre broadband for £43 per month and they offered me 40% off including the full sports and sky cinema package for £65 per month for 18 months, I just had to pay a £10 admin fee so I managed to upgrade to having sports and cinema for an extra £5 per month.

You should have cancelled your TV. You would have then been offered 50% off for TV. I pay £25 per month for original TV and Sky Sports. I was offered 50% off cinema as well but I didn't bother as I have another way to watch the latest films.

For unlimited fibre b/band, phone and line rental, I pay less than £25 per month. Like you, I told them that I was going to Ttalk. I also did not pay a £10 admin fee.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    You should have cancelled your TV. You would have then been offered 50% off for TV. I pay £25 per month for original TV and Sky Sports. I was offered 50% off cinema as well but I didn't bother as I have another way to watch the latest films.

For unlimited fibre b/band, phone and line rental, I pay less than £25 per month. Like you, I told them that I was going to Ttalk. I also did not pay a £10 admin fee.

How do you get to watch the latest films?
  • shaggy
    Options
    craigr98 wrote: »
    How do you get to watch the latest films?

He presumably means illegally :)
  • domcaz
    domcaz Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Once you've cancelled and are on your 30 day notice, how long do you guys wait until you get your 50% offers? I've got the 40% offer online already, but would like 50% (or more!) off.
  • shaggy
    Options
    domcaz wrote: »
    Once you've cancelled and are on your 30 day notice, how long do you guys wait until you get your 50% offers? I've got the 40% offer online already, but would like 50% (or more!) off.
    Let it switch off and the day after go on chat asking for a deal and ask for more than 50%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback