🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Were Bank

Options

Comments

• Paul_1977
    Paul_1977 Posts: 992 Forumite
    Options
    I hope so,

lots of talk here.

http://www.quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10218&start=320

It seems many people joined just to get the fake cheque book, they then knowingly sent off these cheques to pay off bills, with some even being accepted, for a few days at least.

One man paid off his 180k mortgage, with a "cleared" cheque, until someone actually checked it, then the fraud department were calling him.

I hope these people get done for it as well. I can't see many people being actually fooled but who knows.

This is all alleged of course.
  • Paul_1977
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1_idK-88r8#t=17

One joker has even filmed themselves filling out a cheque.:eek:
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Paul_1977 wrote: »
    By who?

Trading Standards.

Police.

A Court.

I suspect the website is hosted by someone outside UK jurisdiction but it is still possible for all UK IPSs to block sites, which effectively shuts down the site. They are doing this every day for sites that are considered illegal in the UK.
  • ICan'tStandIt
    Options
    He is laying low and I suspect will soon do a runner with all the money.

I don't doubt that for a second. It is sad that people can get taken in by something like this, but even worse that people exist that will rip others off, take money that they cannot spare and make them feel like they are being done a favour.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1_idK-88r8#t=17

One joker has even filmed themselves filling out a cheque.:eek:

I wonder at what point this guy realised that it was all a con?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is the most brazen fraudulent use of the clearing system I've seen yet. Literally all they are doing is (somehow) getting a cheque printing company to print them cheques for a non-existent bank with a non-existent sort code and then selling them. This is, as charitably as I can put it, organised fraud, and as soon as the f*ckwit who started the scheme is located he is going to prison, no matter how much freeman on the land !!!!! he makes up. Meanwhile, the people who use his service are going to be the ones with CIFAS loadings against them (justly, really; what did they think they were doing?) and there will be victims in people who accepted these cheques in good faith.

The basic gist of it is the theory that because a cheque is supposedly a promissory note, this WeRe bank will "honour" the note by accepting it through the clearing and then returning it as paid, and therefore your debt is discharged. The problem is that as WeRe Bank is not real, this will never occur - a debt settled by mutual agreement with a cheque is not discharged until the cheque is actually paid, which it won't ever be, as WeRe has no resources with which to do so because it isn't a real bank. As a result, it is a lot of fancy language dressing up the idea of giving someone a crude facsimile of a cheque.

Can we please, please, please get rid of cheques now? This is going to keep happening while we still have a large number of people clinging to an archaic, fraud-prone system that should have died years ago.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Paul_1977
    Options
    People are always going to commit fraud, and cheques are still too widely used by business and some people to withdraw them.

There are still times when a cheque is the best method. I am not going to lose my chequebook just because some stupid people decided to try and trick the system. We are going to get some sort of digital "cheque" in the future, so they will die but not yet.
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    Banks sshould start charging for cheques, they'd soon disappear.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • Paul_1977
    Options
    Most banks don't issue cheque books anymore unless requested. Its only a certain generation that use them mostly.
  • ICan'tStandIt
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    Can we please, please, please get rid of cheques now? This is going to keep happening while we still have a large number of people clinging to an archaic, fraud-prone system that should have died years ago.

An outfit like 'Were Bank' would still find a way to con people even without a 'cheque' book.

It's not getting rid of cheques that we need to happen, what we need is a robust legal system that would see the likes of 'Peter of England' in jail and his website shut down.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Most banks don't issue cheque books anymore unless requested. Its only a certain generation that use them mostly.

Ive received two cheques today from different building societies.

Also received a further cheque from a utility company this week.

In all three cases I would have preferred to have been paid electronically.

The days of the cheque being numbered, I suggest, are a little further away then people might like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport