PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    putty71 wrote: »
    Hi all

What is really frustrating right now is the waiting game. Having sent letters off for charges, ppi and cca's, I used to get really excited about what pearls of wisdom would arrive in the post, but so quiet at the moment.

Can anyone tell me if they have sucessfully reclaimed Barclays overdraft protection insurance? I have had their second letter telling me to expect a response by 4 Jan, but would like to hear if anyone has been sucessful with this. It would clear my overdraft staright off.

Anyone please:confused:
    Hi putty, I hope you get some good news soon. As regards Barclays I note from posts on here that they sometimes do go beyond their stated times so maybe a little jog of the memory perhaps if they don't reply by the 4th Jan.

Good luck;)
  • wutus
    wutus Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    superwhy wrote: »
    I have recently started a claim from Welcome Finance, were they easy to deal with or did you have to go through the ombudsman?
    Hi ya, Really sorry to say but yeah i had to go through ombudsman,got a reply in september from fos ( after putting claim in with fos earlier this year ) and got refund this week !!! whole process apx 13 mths.. sorry and good luck
  • francescat_2
    Options
    I have just reclaimed £8005.44 from PPI from my Egg Card. :money:

About 5 years ago, I was totally irresponsibly opening credit cards here and there and using one card when it was advertised as interest free to pay off another card. Egg Card being one of the cards. After about a year obviously the interest kicks in and it is quite high. In late 2004, Egg Card pressed me into buying a PPI and at some point after that they gave me an Egg Card No.2. which I thought was a natural extension of the first card.

As Egg Card has a paperless bill system, I never ever went on line as it was difficult to do so at work and I never checked how much I owed or how it was being calculated.

After receiving an email from a private company who said that they could possibly get me PPI from certain credit cards - Egg being one of them - I decided to check what I owed. I also decided to go on to MoneySavingExpert site as I know it is excellent site.

It took me nearly 3 months and 3 threatening letters to get set up to go on line to check whether I was still paying PPI and how much I actually owed.

I checked and found out I owed £8,260.29 but as they only kept statements for one year and I had not used the card for many years, I had no idea how it had come to this debt.

MoneySavingExpert gave me all the template letters and I used them to write to Egg. Yesterday I heard that Egg Card were repaying £8005.44 back into the account which just leaves me a debt of £254.88 which I am going to pay off immediately. I cannot actually work out why they are repaying this large sum but think it is because a small debt on this card gradually mounted up and up and that I never actually asked for PPI on Egg Card 2 which again made the sum increase month by month.

I can't thank Martin Lewis and MoneySavingExpert enough and I urge anyone who is in doubt to follow this up. It worries me that people who are hopelessly in debt, or are not confident of how to carry out such a process, will not be able to reclaim money that they were cheated out of.

Well done MoneySaving Expert
  • maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Options
    Well done francescat. I hope this encourages more people to give it a go.
    :mad:
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    francescat wrote: »

About 5 years ago, I was totally irresponsibly opening credit cards here and there and using one card when it was advertised as interest free to pay off another card. Egg Card being one of the cards. After about a year obviously the interest kicks in and it is quite high. In late 2004, Egg Card pressed me into buying a PPI and at some point after that they gave me an Egg Card No.2. which I thought was a natural extension of the first card.

As Egg Card has a paperless bill system, I never ever went on line as it was difficult to do so at work and I never checked how much I owed or how it was being calculated.

After receiving an email from a private company who said that they could possibly get me PPI from certain credit cards - Egg being one of them - I decided to check what I owed. I also decided to go on to MoneySavingExpert site as I know it is excellent site.

It took me nearly 3 months and 3 threatening letters to get set up to go on line to check whether I was still paying PPI and how much I actually owed.

I checked and found out I owed £8,260.29 but as they only kept statements for one year and I had not used the card for many years, I had no idea how it had come to this debt.

MoneySavingExpert gave me all the template letters and I used them to write to Egg. Yesterday I heard that Egg Card were repaying £8005.44 back into the account which just leaves me a debt of £254.88 which I am going to pay off immediately. I cannot actually work out why they are repaying this large sum but think it is because a small debt on this card gradually mounted up and up and that I never actually asked for PPI on Egg Card 2 which again made the sum increase month by month.

I can't thank Martin Lewis and MoneySavingExpert enough and I urge anyone who is in doubt to follow this up. It worries me that people who are hopelessly in debt, or are not confident of how to carry out such a process, will not be able to reclaim money that they were cheated out of.

Well done to you too.:T:beer::j
  • donotpassgo_2
    Options
    Congratulations to all the winners this week, great news a brilliant stocking filler. Merry Christmas:xmastree::xmassign:
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    putty71 wrote: »
    Hi all

What is really frustrating right now is the waiting game. Having sent letters off for charges, ppi and cca's, I used to get really excited about what pearls of wisdom would arrive in the post, but so quiet at the moment.

Can anyone tell me if they have sucessfully reclaimed Barclays overdraft protection insurance? I have had their second letter telling me to expect a response by 4 Jan, but would like to hear if anyone has been sucessful with this. It would clear my overdraft staright off.

Anyone please:confused:

Hi Putty, hope your well.

As Marshallka said, It does seem they always go beyond the timescales, but hope you hear some good news soon, all in your favour, fingers crossed.:beer:XX
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    francescat wrote: »

Wow, brilliant news, Well done and Congratulations.:beer::T:beer:
    :xmassign::xmastree::snow_grin
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • trisha909
    Options
    Made a call today just to give HFC a nudge after i sent the recalculated loan docs on the 7 Dec special delivery might i add and they've bloomin' lost it!!. 4.95 i paid too. I wonder if there is a complaints department that deals with complaints toward the complaints department?, then i can complain to the complaints complaints department about my complaint i complained about to the complaints department and breaaaaaaaaathhhhe !:confused:
    Trisha
    ;) When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. ;)
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,006 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    :beer::beer::beer: well done to all winners this week:j:j:j:j:jexcellent :money: heres to a good xmas:D:D:D:D:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback