We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,010 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiya all

I have had several loans from HFC and they insisted I took out PPI. They didn't even put the amount on the forms (just said it was 13% i think).

Anyway a couple of years ago I complained and cancelled the PPI. They wouldn't admit to mis-selling so I left it. I then paid of the loan in full. Last year I complained again and asked for a final response and they still said they didn't miss-sell. I had asked them to look at the last two loans I had with them. I did get in contact with one of the Solicitors on a no-win on fee and they had a look at my case. They then said that they were going to take it too the FOS because it was still within the 6months. I decided to send it to the FOS myself as I would have had to pay them myself. I wrote to the FOS in April. They wrote back saying that although HFC had sent a final response for the second loan, they had not looked into the first loan. FOS said that HFC must look into the first loan PPI before they could look into it. FOS letter was dated 13/5/09. HFC wrote to me on 15/5/09 saying that they could not find any supporting evidence regarding the PPI and offered me £680 which is full repayment of the PPI plus 8% interest.

The solicitor raised a point about HFC that when you pay of an existing loan they did not recalculate the outstanding loan amount properly because they include the interest from the PPI. Does anyone know if this is true and if so should I ask them to include this before accepting?

Regards

T
    you could be right there. to settle a loan they calculate the balance owing which would include some interest for the ppi, if i were you i would get in touch and ask them for this to be included. good luck with this
  • pinknico
    pinknico Posts: 3,261 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all - nothing much to update. I appealed the original response from the FOS that I was outwith the timescale - despite their own correspondence being to the contrary - and awaiting their response.

Still angry!

Is it worth ringing them and making a fuss?
    DS1 12/10/04
    DS2 13/07/06
    DD1 06/12/07
  • JoeTheLion
    Options
    Hi there,

Just heard that Northern Rock have agreed to pay back all premiums plus interest. Over a grand!! I sent the initial template, replied to their questionnaire and bob's your mother's brother.

Thanks to all. More power to the little guy! :beer:
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,010 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    :j:j:jwell done to all winners, yesterday and today:beer::beer::money::money::money:
  • igaveupnowimback
    Options
    I feel I was mis-sold PPI with Royal Bank of Scotland a few years back, but I no longer have paperwork on it.

I was going to use the template asking for policy/loan agreement details but since I don't have the loan ref no or policy I wonder if this is the best way to proceed or do I need to do it another way ?

Do I need to use a SAR or something ?
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    JoeTheLion wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just heard that Northern Rock have agreed to pay back all premiums plus interest. Over a grand!! I sent the initial template, replied to their questionnaire and bob's your mother's brother.

Thanks to all. More power to the little guy! :beer:

And well done to you, Congratulations.:beer:
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • di3004
    Options
    igiveup wrote: »
    I feel I was mis-sold PPI with Royal Bank of Scotland a few years back, but I no longer have paperwork on it.

I was going to use the template asking for policy/loan agreement details but since I don't have the loan ref no or policy I wonder if this is the best way to proceed or do I need to do it another way ?

Do I need to use a SAR or something ?

Hi there

You so not need a SAR at this point, but this may come in handy maybe later on.

You can write to the dept and request for a copy of the agreement, enclose a small payment of £1 by either cheque or postal order payment, and they should supply this by post by 12 days.
    Post by recorded delivery.

You can send a SAR if you require more information.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1475553

You do not actually need the figures either on the reclaiming letter.;)

For reclaiming here are the guidelines and templates here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

Good luck and post for help when required.
  • igaveupnowimback
    Options
    Hi there
    You so not need a SAR at this point, but this may come in handy maybe later on.
    You can write to the dept and request for a copy of the agreement, enclose a small payment of £1 by either cheque or postal order payment, and they should supply this by post by 12 days.
    Post by recorded delivery...

Thanks so much for such a quick reply.:T
    Doing this on behalf of bro, who feels certain he was mis-sold it with a loan, (since paid), but had no ref no's and has had a smaller loan since, so doesn't quite know how to ask the bank for the right details.:confused: Wouldn't he at least need to put a relevant ref no on request so the bank know what we're talking about ?
    Cheers
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
  • di3004
    Options
    igiveup wrote: »
    Thanks so much for such a quick reply.:T
    Doing this on behalf of bro, who feels certain he was mis-sold it with a loan, (since paid), but had no ref no's and has had a smaller loan since, so doesn't quite know how to ask the bank for the right details.:confused: Wouldn't he at least need to put a relevant ref no on request so the bank know what we're talking about ?
    Cheers

Not a problem, your welcome.;)

In regards to the account info, yes the account number would be useful, so in this case just request for an agreement which should confirm this for now, and on the reclaiming link I posted on my last post to you, check out the reasons and for whatever reasons he was mis sold, write them in.

I would not write in "I feel I was mis sold" though, leave that one out.

In regards of a SAR you can still request for this, but it takes 40 days and this should arrive back in time by the time they write back, where normally they give the opportunity to write back, in this case then the SAR may come in handy then.
    Hope this helps.;)
  • sable76
    sable76 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    hey guys, been having a look at this and it sounds like it might just be able to save me from ruin. took lots of credit cards and loans out over last 6yrs all with ppi. trouble is there were so many and have since moved house, also i am terrible with paperwork so i cannot find any loan or cc agreements. i have got a credit report wich shows me all my agreements over last 6 yrs, but where do i go from here.
    thanks so much for any help in advance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport