PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Keeperz
    Options
    Keeperz wrote: »
    After much procrastination, took the plunge and sent off letters for a number of accounts I had in mid 90s onwards.

Early response from MBNA who have sent Cheque payment for £125 on original PPI amount of £54 from 2000. Interestingly, they state Card was originally a Bank of Scotland one (Sonycard) and they have contacted BOS on my behalf with regards to earlier period.
    Have another MBNA card for a total of £940 in PPI and that is still being investigated.

Yorkshire Bank have replied advising I had 5 separate products with PPI from 1995 onwards - have now submitted complaints against all 5.

Still awaiting news from CitiBank (Card) and Black Horse (Loans)

Fascinating to read through this thread and see the success stories, and the less successful ones

Just received a follow up call from MBNA - my complaint has been upheld. Amount of just over £3k. Absolutely gobsmacked - letter is apparently on its way confirming details...

:j
  • Fuzzyhead
    Options
    Hello Martin

Success - I went through your Revolver to complete my PPI claim, with Capital One credit Card, I only waited about 3 weeks and received a cheque for £6,500 even though I only paid a small amount of PPI - excited.

Failure - I again used your Revolver to claim PPI from Direct Auto Finance/Welcome Finance at the time, in 2001, however Welcome Finance and Direct Auto Finance kept playing each other saying the account was with the other and vice versa. I sent them all the paper work I had including the signatures of both parties on the HP agreement form, to which had both Welcome and Direct Auto Finance, and also the PPI agreement form that Direct Auto Finance sent me at the time of taking it out. However after several frustrated responses going back and forth again between Direct and Welcome, Revolver said that it was time to take it to Ombudsman, who came back to say that Direct Auto Finance are not taking claims prior to 2005 so can't take it further. !!!

strange how they changed the date to later than my claim, yet my Capital One claim was from 1997 and they paid out!

Has anyone been successful with Direct Auto Finance or Welcome Finance??

thanks
    :(
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Martin

Martin sold this site a number of years ago and no longer contributes on the forum.
    Failure - I again used your Revolver to claim PPI from Direct Auto Finance/Welcome Finance at the time, in 2001, however Welcome Finance and Direct Auto Finance kept playing each other saying the account was with the other and vice versa. I sent them all the paper work I had including the signatures of both parties on the HP agreement form, to which had both Welcome and Direct Auto Finance, and also the PPI agreement form that Direct Auto Finance sent me at the time of taking it out. However after several frustrated responses going back and forth again between Direct and Welcome, Revolver said that it was time to take it to Ombudsman, who came back to say that Direct Auto Finance are not taking claims prior to 2005 so can't take it further. !!!

That is the expected outcome as it is a pre-2005 sale (pre-regulation) and the seller was not regulated at the time.
    strange how they changed the date to later than my claim, yet my Capital One claim was from 1997 and they paid out!

its not strange. Regulation started in January 2005. However, most banks and lenders were members of an earlier body that means pre-regulation complaints need to be considered by them. Car dealers were not members of an earlier body. So, the Jan 2005 date matters with them.
    Has anyone been successful with Direct Auto Finance or Welcome Finance??

It is nothing to do with Welcome Finance. It is DAF that sold it to you and rejection due to pre-regulation is the normal outcome.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Iammaverick
    Options
    I asked Consumer Refund Service to handle my claim, I sent off the names of all the companies I thought I paid PPI to and today I have received my first reply which was from Barclays Bank and a cheque for£2247.97 yippee looking forward to the rest replying, only downside I had to pay for their services and VAT which was wrong I think.
    Would recommend this company.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I had to pay for their services and VAT which was wrong I think.
    Why is it wrong?

You agreed to pay a company to put in a complaint using the free of charge complaints process. You made the choice. You didnt need to pay anyone to use the free of charge complaints process.
    Would recommend this company.

They have an awful reputation. Still, its your money lost.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • 01afraser4
    Options
    Afternoon

Apologies if this is in the wrong section however I wasn't sure where to ask this and I don't think my question merits a thread of its own.

Back in 2011 I took out a small loan with Halifax (£1,250 if I recall correctly), but unfortunately I cannot find any papers relating to the loan.

My question is hopefully a simple one - as the loan was taken out in 2011, a few years after mis-sold PPI became a 'thing', what are the chances of me having been mis-sold PPI on this loan?

Did banks/lenders tighten up their procedures after it all took off, or were they still mis-selling PPI as late as 2011?

Cheers!
  • dunstonh
    Options
    My question is hopefully a simple one - as the loan was taken out in 2011, a few years after mis-sold PPI became a 'thing', what are the chances of me having been mis-sold PPI on this loan?

zero chance. Halifax stopped selling it in July 2010.
  • 01afraser4
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    zero chance. Halifax stopped selling it in July 2010.

Thank you. I had a feeling I may not have been impacted so you've saved me some time and effort finding that out after submitting a claim!
  • dexterlivi
    Options
    I recently used one of the PPI claim companies who are charging me 12% of any successful claim. I have been thinking about claiming for past couple of years but just haven't taken the time to do it. Went to use a claim company simply because I was struggling to find time to give this any real time. To date I have had one rejection letter from Canada Square Operations (former Egg Card) with what looks like a standard response. This has gone off to ombudsman as I dont believe they have fully investigated my complaint. However some good news, had my first upheld claim which was in relation to 3 separate loans going back over almost 20 years. I would encourage anyone who thinks they may have had PPI to complain. I nearly did,nt bother and by doing so I,m 20K better off in this mornings post.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    To date I have had one rejection letter from Canada Square Operations (former Egg Card) with what looks like a standard response.

There is no such thing as a standard response. However, as the complaints process is regulated, providers will use template letters to build the response.
    This has gone off to ombudsman as I dont believe they have fully investigated my complaint.

They should give their reason for the response in the letter. The complaint uphold rate on PPI from Canada Life Ops by the FOS is just 29%. So, that suggests they are not having an issue with most Can life Ops responses.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback