PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife recently contacted capital one regarding ppi on a credit card she got back in 1999, although they don't dispute that ppi was added to the account, that say she tick boxed all her details at the time and ticked the box for ppi, and agree that nothing about ppi was explained to her they say that ppi was not mis sold and will not give a refund, anyone else had such a letter please ???

Thanks, Mike.

If your wife ticked a box on a form to say she wanted PPI then she was not miss-sold unless the policy would not have covered her. Opting in is an active choice and in the absence of any evidence that the policy was unsuitable then it is logical to reject it. PPI on cards was not an advised sale so they do not need to go through a detailed process of advice in the same way you would for something like permanent health insurance. You have the right to refer to the FOS within 6 months if you wish.
  • Pinkertonsurly
    Options
    My wife had Mortgage PPI with C and G (now Lloyd's) from July 1991 to November 1993 (when she cancelled it). She made a claim on the basis that at the time, she had a job which would have covered her for sickness/redundancy for 12 months. Lloyd's rejected it and the ombudsman agreed with Lloyd's. So she went back to Lloyd's with new information relating to her chronic back condition. Lloyd's (and subsequently the ombudsman) got a bit shirty at this point 'Why didn't you tell us this before?' Answer: because she had misinterpreted the question about pre-existing health conditions to mean 'life-threatening' rather than 'life-changing'. She sent her medical records dating back to 1974 to support the claim. Lloyd's rejected it, and again the Ombudsman sided with Lloyd's. So she appealed to the Ombudsman. This time, they agreed with her. Lloyd's didn't present any counter-argument and last week she received just under £8K. Took 2 years mind.
  • Soojaymac
    Options
    Capital One sent me about £60 within a week after I just enquired with the very little info I had and I wasn't even sure I had had PPI on their card years ago. I know I didn't have their card for long hence only £60.

M and S on the other hand have sent me a very lengthy questionnaire to complete in in response to my enquiry. But I have very few details.

Awaiting a response from an enquiry to Santander re Alliance and Leicester Personal Loan
  • RubyDoo
    Options
    Wanted to share my success in case it is of any help to anyone.

I had an account with Choice catalogue from 1992 to 2006. I was a young single mum at the time and every penny mattered. Using the catalogue was the only way I could buy some larger essential items so I recall being quite upset that I had to also pay out about £3 a month on an insurance premium in addition to the repayments on items bought, but I was told it was compulsory.

Throughout this whole PPI thing it has been in the back of my mind that I had been paying something years ago that probably merited at least a query, but I couldn't recall my account number and found no trace of any statements. The weirdest thing then happened - the account number just came to me one day out of the blue and I immediately wrote it down. I then did a bit of searching online and found that Shop Direct were managing the PPI claims for Choice so I completed the form. Shop Direct confirmed I did have PPI and within three months of my initial form being submitted I received a cheque for £1100. Not a fortune but definitely worth it!
  • I had a Top Shop Store Card over 10 years ago. I contacted Santander by telephone, who confirmed the account details (as I no longer had any) and they generated the complaint.

The complaint was upheld after the full 8 weeks and they advised the refund would be paid within 14 days of receiving my acceptance letter. I posted my acceptance letter on Saturday 13th October.

1. 22.10 - called to confirm acceptance letter had been received, and it hadn't. Faxed a copy through and it was assigned to my case
    2. 5 days later - was advised that the bank transfer wasn't successful and the case had been referred to AXA to generate a cheque
    4. 3 days later - spoke to AXA who hadn't received the request. Spoke to Santander who confirmed the request had been sent to AXA and the case with Santander was now closed, so not "their problem".
    5. Today - spoke to AXA again who advised they have received the request. Cheques are generated on a Tuesday and Thursday - and as there's such a backlog my cheque "might" make next Thursday. Also, the office is in Southern Ireland, so I need to allow 10 days for delivery and if I haven't received anything by 22nd November, to let them know. I called Santander again to see if there was any chance of another attempt at a bank transfer, but they confirmed the case was closed and advised if I wasn't happy with the service to contact the Ombudsman.

I was impressed at the beginning of the process by the high level of customer service, but quite frustrated by the real lack of care at the end and just wondered if anybody else has experienced this ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Probably.

Not sure how much of a difference that will make to anything though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    quite frustrated by the real lack of care at the end and just wondered if anybody else has experienced this ?
    Nothing exceptional about your delay I'm afraid.
  • inbetweenJOBS
    inbetweenJOBS Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 3 November 2018 at 7:54PM
    Options
    I just had to come on here and tell you that this is for real ! I have just banked £1888.84 into my account! Thank you Martin Lewis & colleagues for your work!

just call the bank , and ask them straight out you would like to check to see if you have ever paid out ppi's. (Payment Protection Insurance)tell them what accounts you have with them, current, mortgage... so you will recieve a letter telling you yeh or nay! Obviously in my case they said yehhh ! and so i again, picked up the telephone and they told me i would have to fill out a form, which they posted to me. before i had even filled out the form, they had awarded me the money.
    Mis sold PPIs on my credit card! I had only payed out £235 in ppi's but they added the interest lost and potentially could have gained plus compensation. amazing

Have I ever had PPI with Nationwide Building Society?
    If you are unsure whether you had a PPI policy with us, you can contact us to check. If your check comes back positive and you wish to make a complaint about its sale, you can move to complain. You must allow 8 weeks (40 business days) for your PPI check to be completed before making a complaint ahead of the deadline. quote from nationwide website

its that easy.
    £1888.84 in the bank !

just go for it - anyone out there. People that hear about this think its a scam, but it isnt ! I just did it myself. you are dealing with real people, dont be put off or overwhelmed. I got the feeling that the people on the other end of the tel were only to happy to help me get some money back!!!

Thank you folks
    be encouraged

PS does anyone know whether its worth it to now write to the Ombudsman? the letter that came with the cheque said that i could also complain to the Ombudsman ? does this mean the ombudsman will get more money from nationwide ? possibly ?
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,006 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Redress is a defined amount, PPI plus 8%.
    If you can prove that you paid more PPI, you can take it to FOS, this does not mean you get more money, unless you have proof, it just means a long.. long ...wait.
  • JB1983
    Options
    Hello, I’ve had a letter from black horse regarding several loans I had with them and they want another 8 weeks to investigate. Is this normal for them?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback