PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• bestaroi
    bestaroi Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi- i am new to posting on the site. Can anyone tell me how you post a new thread ?
    A question on PPI. How do you go about reclaiming ppi if the company concerned does not respond to communication and you need the information they hold in order to claim ?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A question on PPI. How do you go about reclaiming ppi if the company concerned does not respond to communication and you need the information they hold in order to claim ?

Have you paid the £10 and submitted the DSAR?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bestaroi
    bestaroi Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi- thank you for the response. I am really ignorant in these matters . What is a DSAR ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bestaroi wrote: »
    What is a DSAR ?
    Data Subject Access Request (usually just SAR) is a request for all information the Bank have on file for you. Paying £10 means the Bank are legally obliged to respond. However, if such information has been destroyed in line with data protection, there is little more you can do...
  • skally
    skally Posts: 1 Newbie
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    New to this but wanted to share as the forum has helped lots...

14/04/2016 Finally decided to find out if I ever had PPI - I knew I never needed it/requested it so wasn't sure what was what.

Contacted ALL the below via phone initially:

Barclaycard CC (around 2003)
    Capital One CC (around 2004 and one current)
    Alliance & Leicester aka Santander Personal Loan/No papework (2005)
    EGG CC/No paperwork (2007)

All the above were cleared in full apart from the Capital One card which is current.

All apart from Barclaycard sent questionnaires to complete and are investigating. Barclaycard I did online and used the tracker for progress - less than 3 weeks later (yesterday) I had £636.63 refunded from Barclays into my current account. A letter detailed the breakdown including 8% interest refunded and they minus 20% tax. Very happy and impressed with such a quick turn around from Barclaycard.

All others are currently under 'investigation' so not sure what is what. I have told them all that I never asked or requested PPI and had a job which provided sick pay/redundancy. I actually didn't know IF I had paid PPI on any of these - they all answered that for me (yes!).

Will update once I have news - all have until mid June to provide me with a decision before I potentially escalate to the Financial Ob.

Hope this has been of some help - if in doubt try! Don't worry about paperwork, all my lenders filled in the blanks for me. If you feel you could have a claim, do it and DEFO don't bother with a 3rd party.
  • MIKE770
    MIKE770 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Question:-

My O.H. had PPI with MBNA (the original PPI company was London & Edinburgh) then Mbna changed to another company, a claim was put in due to redundancy about 6 months, but all this time my O.H. was getting letters/phone calls etc stating not enough paid they frightened her so much she was paying extra ( out of here doe money) to shut them up every month, only found this out later after events situation, on looking at it MBNA system was to still charge £50/60 per month for PPI hence repayments by the Insurance company did not cover repayments, rang MBNA who stated it was the insurers, Insurers stated it was MBNA who insist on monthly fees during a claim!

any views on this, as this case later years went to court (albeit NOT PPI) case, but for non payment of credit card a CCJ issued as the DJ I knew she was against any debtor from experience ( she issued a CCJ against me for HSBC so called DG solicitors when she new there was no CCA1974 held by HSBC, she did not want to know of the goings on at MBNA
  • Honeylife
    Honeylife Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Borrowed a small sum in 2003 I completely forgot about it. Clearing out paperwork I found a folder of old bank statements and lo at the back was the paper work relating to the Loan. Fortunately I am still banking with them and I called up. From that call to money in my account it too precisely 6 weeks. Not a vast sum just about 500£ but nevertheless included the interest. I am just going to see if I can get the tax deducted back as i am currently unemployed. Delighted. At a family discussion my elderly Uncle has been persuaded to investigate PPI refunds which I am helping him with. He has pointed out that the harrassement of cold callers put him off pursuing a claim.
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964

2023: 1p challenge £667.95/ £669.00 completed
    2024: 1p challenge 667.95
    2024: 52 Challenge 1378.
    2024: Cashback
    2024: Sparechange
    2024: Declutter one room
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Honeylife wrote: »
    He has pointed out that the harrassement of cold callers put him off pursuing a claim.
    I hope you told him he can complain without engaging any cold callers charging fully a third of anything he gets back?
  • Bozrog_McGurk
    Options
    Dealt with RBS 4 years ago quick result with my PPi claim 43 days later , £6,433 back delighted

Anticipation with my Clydesdale claim,when I asked 4 years ago ,a reply off we only go back 7 years Im sorry, thats it .
    So in Feb this year one of those pain the bum phone calls informs me they can go back 25 years so I ask about my Clydesdale chances they say the will send the forms for them to look into my case , I checkout the firm out on line very pricey not very good reviews,I chose another company 12.5% + vat and enrolled them, cut off point is 14 days if you want to cancel , 40 odd days later I give them a call to see how Im doing.
    I find out Ive got 4 cases against Clydesdale ,bad news is if I`d called Clydesdale they would have done it for nothing so if you want to claim PPi call the people you got the loan/card from I was informed if I wanted to cancel it was £150 + vat each claim,so theyre looking into my case.
    I knew I had PPi with the Clydesdale but the 7 year line threw me, it was a see if I can get anything from them when I got the original phone call ,half of nothings nothing but if your sure you have it be very careful how you go about it an £8000 claim will cost me over £1460 ish so be warned do your homework before you sign anything
  • Devonica
    Options
    I didn't really think we had PPI, but after Martin's persistent nagging, I thought I'd look through old records. I found a record of a meeting with the bank manager asking for an additional mortgage when we rebuilt our porch, back in the 1990s. It mentioned a recommendation that we took out a Mortgage Repayment Protection policy. That reminded me of the small premium we'd paid, only a few pounds a month. I thought, if we were very lucky, we might get about £200. Couldn't believe it when we got £880! Thanks, Martin! The claim was straightforward, following information on the HSBC website. We were lucky, though, that we'd kept that piece of paper!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback