PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Barbeque ideas please!

Options

Comments

• AnnaV
    AnnaV Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    It's my birthday on Friday and I'm having laods of friends round for a BBQ. Sounds madder than it is- we have a roof terrace where the cooking will be done but we'll be eating inside mostly.

So I'm looking for OS recipes for anything you think would be good! We're having 30-40 people as it's joint with my brother-in-law who is a student and is inviting his uni rugby team along (so filling recipes a bonus).

I have Friday off work so can make stuff in advance for the evening, but need to put an order in to Tesco as soon as possible as we don't have a car.

Thanks everyone!
    Anna :beer:
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rice salad is very filling and easy................I use quick cook american rice,the grains dont stick together,rinse in cold water when cooked then add garden peas,sweetcorn and chopped onion,I usually have a bottle of dark soya sauce for people to add if they want a bit more flavour,then a big salad made in a big bowl,Baked potatoes,finger rolls are quite cheap at tesco,our local tesco had a good offer on sausages and burgers,if its a bit chilly why not make a big pot of soup to serve first and this might fill them up,served with some nice tesco french bread,
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Anna,

There are a couple of older threads that may give you some ideas:

any BBQ party ideas?

Barbeque ideas please!

Pink
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the forum there are more threads listed under "barbecue" that will help you too :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    why don't you put some cheese and small tomatoes and basil leaves on skewers and bbq them?tehy look really colourful and they are delicious!
    or make some bruschettas:cut a loaf of french bread into thick slices, rub garlic on them add tomatoes or oher vegetables on tehm and add plenty of oil and a bit of salt:D
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BBQ beans, get a load of economy baked beans, add a couple of chopped onions and a good dollop of BBQ sauce. So very 1970's;) I think if you go retro it is so much fun! Remember the days befopre garlic bread!? Tesco value hot dog rolls are great with an economy sausage in them, corn on the cob can be bbq'd, and slices of fresh pineapple are the yummiest desert when put on the bbq after. Spare ribs too are cheap and most people like them , a bit of a naughty treat.I hope you are having a trifle for afters too;)
    Have a great party.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    marinate chicken in Fajita seasoning
    alternate chiken, peppers, onions and mushrooms on long skewers and barbecue,
    have lots of tortilla wraps, guacomole, sour cream and tomato relish along with bowl of salad,
    hand out skewers and let people make up their own wraps
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pbright
    pbright Posts: 634 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

I have organised a BBQ for next week but i am clueless about BBQ, and what to cook!...In fact ill even be lucky to get the parents BBQ working :D! I have been looking for some recipes and ideas of what to cook and have not ame across so i have came to thr best place possibile....here!

I am wandering what you think i should buy for a BBQ for 10. I want it to be good food/dishes but saving as much ££ as possibile. Fourtunately i have time to make and prepare any ideas, i just dont have any ideas!!

Do you have any BBQ recipies you reccommend/Suggest???

Maybe chicken than you can marinade in a a sauce is good?...Well i need to know how long to marinade it and what sauce.....like i said....im an idiot.

Also teklling me what else is good for a BBQ and especially tell me what dishes are good for a BBQ that you can prepare beforehand...i,e sald, pork, baked poatatoes etc....as i have time on my hands but i am a BBQ idiot and dont want to stuggle with cooking everything on the BBQ at one time.

I look forward to hearing your advice/recipies/ideas

Cheers all

PS: also is there any good deals on any meats at Somerfield, Co-op or Morrisons??
  • aimeelister
    aimeelister Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    I love lamb kebabs for the BBQ. Marinade some lamb in soya sauce (no idea of the measurement but enough to coat all the cubes of lamb, well) and some garlic ( i normally do about 4 crushed cloves) for about 4 hrs before then load them on a skewer (its best to soak wooden ones in water before you use them again about 4 hrs) and grill on the bbq. You can marinade overnight but dont forget to fridge it! They work really nicely if served with a pitta bread which has been warmed on the bbq with some salad. Otherwise alternate the meat with some vegies such as onion, pepper or mushroom (but beware the mushroom does easily fall off!) brush with oil and grill.

I popped into Co-op yesterday and they had chicken breasts on offer, dont know what it is as i refused to let myself have a look as we are trying to do the store cupboard challenge (and i only knew i would buy some!! :rotfl: )

I find there is no point on going overboard with salad when we do a BBQ as most people just want the meat! I normally stick to home made burgers (normally allowing 1 each coz they are nice and thick), sausages (2 each), kebabs (2 each) and a marinated chicken bit each.

HTH

Aimee
  • mandyc
    mandyc Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have any veggie guests, haloumi kebabs go down well. Just half a tomato on a skewer followed by a mushroom then alternate pieces of pepper, red onion and haloumi and finish off the other end with a mushroom and half a tomato.
    Brush with oil and grill. Serve with pitta bread and salad. YUM YUM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport