PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Barbeque ideas please!

Options

Comments

• kingshir
    kingshir Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to be a party pooper but it's goning to rain and be chilly at the weekend!!
  • pbright
    pbright Posts: 634 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys.

From your suggestions i have decided to go for the salmon wrapped in tin foil thing!

The home-made burgers

The pesto pasta salad

& i also want to make steak(or steak dishes)

& bbq chicken

...does anybody know the recipies or ideas for any of the above.....especially the salmon, home-made burgers and how to cook the steak and what it would go good with! Remember im a complete idiot so as much details as possibile would be great.

Oh and potatoes...is there any tasty ways to make a baked potato and how do you make it???
  • ems2
    ems2 Posts: 665 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    coat some semi cooked baby potatoes in honey/soysauce & wholegrain mustard put them on a skewer and cook over BBQ - Delicious!

Also wrap potoates in tinfoil and put in the coals but doesnt work with Gas...
  • AuntyJean
    AuntyJean Posts: 585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This recipe is from Antony Worrall Thompson and we are always told it is great. Use it on spare ribs

200ml (1/2 pint) tomato ketchup
    300ml (1/2 pint) dark soy sauce
    125g (41/2oz) runny honey
    5cm (2inc) piece of root gingner, peeled and minced (or finely chopped)
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    5 tablespoons Amontillado sherry
    1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

Don't skimp or leave out any ingredient - costly but WELL worth it.

Mix everything in a bowl, add meat, cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Baste whilst cooking. Works in oven too.

PS - someone told me olive oil and vinegar (ordinary, not balsamic) works great on spuds - haven't tried it yet though
    There is always light within the dark
  • pbright
    Options
    ems2 wrote:
    coat some baby potatoes in honey/soysauce & wholegrain mustard put them on a skewer and cook over BBQ - Delicious!

Also wrap potoates in tinfoil and put in the coals but doesnt work with Gas...

Put them on a skewer after they have been cooked??

Also how do you make baked potatoes in the oven with tin foil and what do you add and how to make them taste good(im an idiot yes :D)

Also is there easier marinades to make or any you reccommend i buy?

What is a good marinage to BBQ steak in??
  • pbright
    Options
    point3 wrote:
    Not very money-saving but for an extra special BBQ I do salmon fillets (wrap in foil with a slice of lemon) served with potato salad, chicken satay sticks (always go down well), veggie kebabs (like mandyc's!) and marinated lamb kebabs (serve with the roasted veggies in a pitta :drool: !)

Does anyone have any more info on how to make this salmon in foil??....how do you cook it?

Also what kind of marinade is good with lamb or steak??
  • point3
    point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Options
    Salmon in Foil ... easy peasy, but looks dead posh.

Lightly brush some olive oil on some foil and place your salmon portion on top (I'd actually use one portion per parcel so the each guest has their own parcel to unwrap):

salmononfoil.jpg

Squeeze some lemon juice over the top and place a lemon slice on each portion. Then turn over the edges of the foil to make a parcel a bit like this one:

20041031_recipe_salmon_05.jpg

Cook on a cool part of the BBQ (either outer edge or upper shelf) for about 10 minutes. The idea is not to cook on the direct heat of the grill, but to let the fish cook slowly in its own steam.

Once done, open one parcel to check it's cooked. The salmon should look pale pink all the way through.

Serve each parcel with new potatoes or potato salad.

HTH :)
  • pbright
    Options
    Thanks...can you cook it in the oven...will it take the same. If you have a time and a heat for the oven that would be great as ill probs screw up the salmon on the BBQ

Anybody any tasty ideas of how to cook/BBQ chicken & steak and what marinades go good with them??
  • pbright
    Options
    I have organised a BBQ for next Saturday however i have just checked the weather forecast and it is supposed to be bad here(Soth west Scotland) then.

What i am wandering is 1) how accurate the 7day forecasts are and 2) what would you do if bad weather struck on your BBQ day ??
  • chinagirl
    chinagirl Posts: 875 Forumite
    Options
    Get a Gazebo !
    keep smiling,
    chinagirl x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income