PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Barbeque ideas please!

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is it a charcoal barbeque or a gas barbeque you're using? If it's charcoal then like mandyc says above it is very important to be patient and wait for the flames to die down and the charcoal to turn a whitish colour.

My favourite on the barbeque is steak, but cooking for a large number would be expensive, so I'd go for chicken.

If you're going to barbeque chicken it helps to marinade it. I usually put chicken pieces (skin on is better) into a bowl with some onion, garlic, mustard or chilli powder and white wine (basically whatever flavours you like) 24 hours before the barbeque. Keep it in the fridge and turn the chicken in the marinade every few hours. When it comes to cooking, it's important to ensure chicken is cooked through, so give it some time on the barbeque to get the barbeque flavour but finish it off in the oven.

It's good to pad what ever meat you are having with sausages or burgers, because there is nothing like the smell of a barbeque to make people feel hungry. I would go to your local butchers and get some quality burgers or sausages rather than the supermarket. Again, cook them on the barbeque first and put them into the oven if you feel they need a bit more cooking.

Veg kebabs are very popular here.....get some wooden skewers and soak for a few hour in water (this helps to stop them burning) alternate mushroom, onion, pepper, cherry tomato, or whatever you like and brush with olive oil and soy sauce. Cook on the barbeque and keep warm in the oven.

Salads/sundries/fillers:
    A green salad
    A pasta salad
    Baked potatoes
    Corn on the cob
    Crust bread
    Coleslaw
    Potato salad

If this isn't something you've done before, try to keep it as simple as possible making things you can prepare in advance as much as possible. Don't forget to enjoy yourself too. :)
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just had a look and there are some older threads that might help you:

Ideas for BBQ on the cheap please?

Money saving BBQ ideas

Barbeque ideas please!

Pink
  • pbright
    pbright Posts: 634 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks its a gas BBQ...not too sure how to start it though.

All your ideas sound good. I love pesto so tell me more about the pest sald...does this sound correct the recipe above??..Also does anyone know the quantities for pesto(is it normal pesto sauce you use out the jar??) vinegar, and oil?? Do you not wait for the pasta to cool down??Whats the best recipe for homemade burgers and how do you make them??
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's a gas barbeque turn it onto high and use the ignite button.

Often these don't work after a while, so you may need to use a match (there will be a hole in the side to ignite. Don't lean over the barbeque to ignite it as you could end up like a cartoon character with a black face and worse still severe burns. It's better to use 'cooks matches' which are longer.

Just as with the charcoal barbeque, wait until the coals are hot or the temperature control has reached 300 - 400 degrees before putting the food on. It's a bit like pre-heating an oven. Once the food is on, turn it down and don't be tempted to lift the lid too often (it lowers the temperature) to take a peek.

Obviously if you hear spitting, see flames, etc, do lift it and remove the food until the barbeque burns off the excess fat and settles down again.

Pink
  • pbright
    Options
    Thanks pink

you know your stuff and have been a big help

Have you got any recipies you can explain to me

what do you have at a BBQ

You got any tips
  • WeirdoMagnet
    WeirdoMagnet Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pbright wrote:
    ...& tell em more about how to make these??

(Sorry I can't tell you the quantities, I just do it!)

Home Made Burgers

Mince, Garlic, Finely Chopped Onion (optional), mixed herbs, worcester sauce, salt & pepper, beaten egg (to bind).

Combine ingredients in a bowl. Divide mixture into even quantities. Shape into burgers (I use a pastry cutter as a mould). Use a dusting of flour to stop them sticking together. Chill in fridge.

Chicken Marinade

I would cut the chicken breasts into smaller pieces so I can be sure they'll cook thorugh, or like PW says, use skin-on chicken.

Make marinade from honey, mustard, olive oil, S&P. (Sorry, still no quantities!) Cover chicken and leave overnight. You could cook them on skewers so they're easier to handle.

Veg Kebabs

Soak wooden skewers overnight. Take desired ingredients and thread alternatly onto skewer. Baste with olive oil.

Pesto Salad

I just cook pasta twists, strain, mix in pesto, and leave to cool. If you add the pesto while the pasta is hot, it'll absorb the flavour better.
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • dora37
    dora37 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    pbright wrote:
    Hello,

I have organised a BBQ for next week but i am clueless about BBQ, and what to cook!...In fact ill even be lucky to get the parents BBQ working :D! I have been looking for some recipes and ideas of what to cook and have not ame across so i have came to thr best place possibile....here!

I've just literally just finished reading your post on another board about your mum going on holiday with your brothers ......is this a case of whilst the cats away the mouse will play :rotfl:
  • rlm_3
    rlm_3 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    pbright wrote:
    Thanks its a gas BBQ...not too sure how to start it though.

All your ideas sound good. I love pesto so tell me more about the pest sald...does this sound correct the recipe above??..Also does anyone know the quantities for pesto(is it normal pesto sauce you use out the jar??) vinegar, and oil?? Do you not wait for the pasta to cool down??Whats the best recipe for homemade burgers and how do you make them??

We just use pesto out of a jar :o . Suppose we ought to make our own really. You can wait for the pasta to cool down rather than rinsing it but, in that case, make sure it's coated in something. If not, the pasta tends to stick together.

Edited to add: For a big bowl of pasta we usually use 2 tbsp pesto, 2tbsp oil and 1 tbsp vinegar, or something approximating that...
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    For dessert we like bbq bananas - just put skinned banana in tin foil, lay choc buttons across the top of if you like alcohol brandy - just a small amount tho it seems to intensify the flavour. DOnt leave them on for long - sorry cant be precise about timings but normally we are all quite merry by that point & they are very easy to do.
  • pbright
    Options
    dora37 wrote:
    I've just literally just finished reading your post on another board about your mum going on holiday with your brothers ......is this a case of whilst the cats away the mouse will play :rotfl:

How Funny....Yip, thats very true :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family