PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Barbeque ideas please!

Options

Comments

• dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Options
    Numptie wrote:
    Put the new potatoes in foil with crushed garlic,butter and salt. Garlicky new pots dripping in butter, yum. Make your own colesaw, just grate some white cabbage, carrot and mix with mayo.You can make a huge bowl for about a pound. Much tastier and crunchier than shop bought.
    i didn't realise that coleslaw could be made that easy, i 'm gonna try make some!!! can't wait for next garden day.. .roll on summer, we have had our gazebo up for weeks in hope of some sunny days.. ahhhh
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could really do with onion in coleslaw as well as the cabbage/carrot. Stir in about two tablespoons of mayo and leave overnight then add more mayo just before serving. Gives all the flavours chance to mingle and adding the extra mayo means it stays creamy (if you put it all in overnight it can go a bit watery) :)
    Mink
  • reverie
    reverie Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm.. Now.. How do I make sure the sun shines on Saturday?? :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Am doing a BBQ for 6 this weekend and would like some ideas for something a little different than sausages and burgers. Most of these from Tesco are revolting anyway.

I thought about making my own burger from lean mince, chopped onions and lea n perrins, do they hold together or collaspe on the barbie?

I have some chicken breasts in the freezer, I need some easy but cheap ideas for those.

I also have some sausages i can defrost which were on special but good brand.

I also thought about making a potato salad, rice salad and of course normal salad, but not too much i find that usually get mostly left.

For desert, hmmm not got there yet.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
  • FenLandK
    FenLandK Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    If you squeeze your burger ingredients together tightly enough and then seal the outside on the hottest part of the BBQ then they shouldn't fall apart.

With the chicken breasts, there's a couple of good marinades that I use. First one is tandoori - mix 1 tbsp of lemon juice with a small pot of natural yoghurt and some tandoori spice mix (Tesco do a reasonable one) - you need to decide how spicy you want it. Defrost the chicken and make some deep cuts into it. Rub in the marinade and then leave overnight. As always with chicken, make sure it is cooked all the way through.

Another good marinade is lime juice and coriander (same technique as above).

As for dessert - fresh fruit salad is always nice and takes away some of the richness of all of that meat :)

Have fun!
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    A few jacket potatoes are nice and filling (cheap too!). Onions are nice too when cooked on bbq. Vegetable kebabs:- onion, peppers, mushrooms etc on a skewer.
    When the heat has dropped a bit put on some bananas in their skins. Cook until very dark brown, split the skin and pour in some alcohol eg brandy and add ice cream or squirty cream. yum
    I will have a think for you of some other ideas.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    Hi There

Ive just done my weekly shop at Asda and they have their Birds Eye 100% beef burgers on BOGOF for £2.48 for 16. Thats just 15pence each :eek: I cant have beef but hubby and daughter will only eat them and they cook very well on a BBQ!

Asda do some nice frozen sausages as well-I think the ones I normally get are the irish pork thick ones (80% pork)-1kg for £1.99 (you usually get around 20), so thats about 10pence each and they cook well on BBQ from frozen. Sometimes i do defrost before cooking but not nessessary.

Burger buns and hot dog rolls can be bought for about £1.25 for 24 or so. If I have family round, I normally do something like:

HM Potatoe Salad (Pots, mayo & bacon bits)
    Pasta mix in mayo, chicken/ham, sweetcorn & a little chilli powder (tastes like a cold carbanara)
    Pork Pies (value are good quality)
    Scotch Eggs (HM or value)
    HM Quiche
    HM Coleslaw or Value Coleslaw (about 20pence)
    Corn On Cob (cooked on BBQ covered in butter in foil)
    Large Salad (lettuce, cucumber, onion, tomatoe)
    Jacket Spuds (cook in microwave for 5 mins then wrap in foil & place on BBQ)
    Garlic Bread (value stuff is 35p a baguette)
    Burgers (100%beef)
    Sausages (as mentioned above)
    Chicken (normally cook through in oven first, then finish on BBQ)
    Steaks (if on offer)
    Enough Rolls etc
    HM Relish (toms, onions)
    Salad Dressing etc
    Cheap bottles of lemonade/cola
    HM Punch (cheap wine, value OJ, rum, fruit & ice)

Hope this helps

Penny-Pincher!!
    XXX
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have quite a number of threads with barbeque ideas in them, but the three main barbeque threads are:-

One and Two and Three :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a couple of pizzas in the freezer to spare in case you run out of food or for latecomers. But I don't think you'll have that problem with only 6 of you.
  • idiot_3
    idiot_3 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    adding breadcrumbs to the mix when making burgers will help to stop them falling to pieces.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure