🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

We all need to be heard for a little while.

Options

Comments

• Waves_and_Smiles
    Waves_and_Smiles Posts: 5,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 2 February 2015 at 10:05PM
    Options
    It's horrid isn't it, LIR? It is doing nothing for my confidence around people at all which was low to begin with. The temptation is just to stay very quiet now before I confuse someone and embarrass myself.

I did wonder if it could be linked to my endocrine problems, too. It does get worse when my thyroid function drops, then everything feels fuzzy at the edges. The annoying thing is the words are there clearly there in my head until I attempt to speak and then they just disappear, I can know exactly what I want to say but when I start speaking I lose the whole thread of what I am trying to verbalise. I totally lost the word flat today and for some reason after a pause "this current property" replaced it. It still makes sense but is a mouthful when I was just trying to say flat! I know it happens to everyone sometimes but right now it's practically every time I open my mouth.

I have always been very glad that I can act 'ordinarily' and not seem as if I have any difficulties for up to an hour if pushed, I am slightly horrified that this ability seems to be leaving me and that it will become obvious that something is wrong straight away. If I am going to attempt to interact with more people I need my words!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Solarjunkie
    Options
    So it isn't just me then? :rotfl: The words in my head and the words that come out of my mouth may be the same, but on the other hand they may not. It's nearly always nouns that get mixed up, my OH is pretty patient most of the time but when I see a certain look on his face I know I must try & recall what I just said & if it made sense. I have no medication I can blame for it either!

WaS, hope the burn and the nether end are healing, they are both straightforward though unpleasant things and they will get better. As for the ongoing situations, I hope stability is re-established soon. Use some of your lovely handcream for a few good moments to remind you there are many more out there.
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Options
    It is a relief to know it's not just me too, Solar! WaSp normally grins and jokes about it which I don't mind at all and after a few attempts I normally manage it. Or just point at things where possible, this also works.

Both injuries are healing slowly! I almost did another one yesterday where I picked up a teapot to pour myself a drink. Sounds harmless, yes? For some reason I took the lid off of the teapot and then poured the liquid out into a cup which of course went everywhere. I have no idea why I did it, this is clearly why I am not supposed to be left alone for more than 4 hours.

In other news-6 mushrooms! 6!!!!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it's any consolation, I am pretty much hopeless at explaining myself in speech.
    I forget words, can't retrieve words, forget facts. I ramble on and on, go off at tangents then forget what the main thread was about!

Plus my mind works far faster than my mouth, so I trip over myself constantly, and it comes out as babble.

I'm much, much better writing things down. Just that little bit of extra time lag between thinking and getting it down makes all the difference! Plus, of course, one can edit and amend, read things back and rephrase.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have had many enjoyable months teasing my mother when she loses word by doing the charades "book, film, two syallable" thing.
    She is now soooo emjoying getting her own back.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry not about much MIL is really poorly OHS back has gone completely he had no mobility yesterday at all and got a snotty text of SIL. I may have told her to wind her neck in and reminded her that she wants me to take care of her and her kids !!!!ing me off is not a good way to achieve this.
    Got to the hospital this aft and there were 4 or 5 bowls of sick on MIL bed a full commode and she was crying.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    I think you should complain about that, melly. If you have a camera with you, take a photo, next time (assuming MIL would let you). Bowls of sick are supposed to be taken away and disposed of, as is a commode.......
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Warning bells here - are you sure he is not married/cohabiting?
    He lives at home with his parents, and we skype so unless he's hiding them somehwere in his room i'm pretty sure its not that. If i explained the ex/parents thing you would understand why i say this.

waS i think there is an element of depression, but he won't admit it, he;s ha several times where he's shut himself off from the whole word and not just me. it usually happens around anniversaries of deaths (he's sadly had a few) its frustrating as i know what its like, i've been there many times, and i know how i can't be reasoned with in that state.

I feel i'm paiting him in a bad light, he hinestly is a lovely person most of the time, its just very hard to reason with someone who for whatever reason doesn;t want or can't be reasoned with. He was telling me last night how he's not worth worrying about, that he doesn;t know why i'm still with him, i told him he was being silly and i was there cos i cared and then he told me how worthless he was and that no one should waste their time on him. All things ive thought about myself at various times. Its hard to hear though coming from someone you care about
  • mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you should complain about that, melly. If you have a camera with you, take a photo, next time (assuming MIL would let you). Bowls of sick are supposed to be taken away and disposed of, as is a commode.......

she can't even keep water down sitting in that smell for god knows how long till 2.15 when we got there will not have helped.
    I got a nurse and just said 'would you like to help me clear the sick bowls and commode up from my MIL bed'
    I also got her fresh bowls, sorted a drink out for her and made her sip it so some fluid stayed down in the 2 and a bit hours we were there.

I am furious she's difficult but no human deserves that
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Options
    Oh dear, the I am not worth anything attitude isn't going to help either beau or you, MU. I speak from experience, I used to come out with things like that. I don't like myself very much at all but I have slowly figured out that the fact that people still want to know me must mean I have something going for me so I shut up and enjoy it. It is also extremely tiring to be around someone who constantly puts themselves down, you feel a need to constantly reassure them and can end up walking on egg shells for fear of hurting them and putting your own needs, which are just as important on the backburner.

Melly, big hugs. I am so sorry you seem to be under even more pressure. I am glad that you told the nurse about MIL's care, as you say no matter what someone's personality is like no one should be left like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport