Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

in Phones & TV
276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• Sorry to ask another question. I am going to follow the first 3 steps in Heinz's '6 step' plan. Do you advise changing to BT option 1; signing up for Primus and signing up for 18185 at the same time; or is there any advantage in leaving time (if so, how long?) between each of these steps in order to minimise call costs during the transfer/set-up period? Thank you.:confused:
  • Can you guys help

We want to cancel an order we made with BT for a line installation - actually the line is already in the house but they want to charge us £125.00 to activate it.
    Now we have decided to stay with Virgin after being offered a deal.
    Have been on the phone all night - spent 2 hours - mostly on hold but also being passed from one very inefficient person to another - none of whom could cancel the order.
    Am feeling really frustrated with BT's lousy service
    How on earth do I get them to sort this out ??
  • i previously took advice of the HOME PHONE article and signed up for 18185
    I find that they are charging for calls I do not make.When I dial a number I am told the cost of that call and then the line goes dead.I am charged for these calls.I have written several times to 18185 but the only answer I receive is that they will look into it
    I first contacted them on 17th sept
    Also I have checked with OFTEL and CONSUMER DIRECT and they are not regulated by anyone
  • I have BT together Option 2 plus BT Broadband 512 kb [we're a way from the exchange] (costing £65 a month for both) I also have Sky Family package (£21 a month) Non LLu Exchange.

On the face of it I would be much better off with Sky see speak and surf package (the one with free international calls as I have a sister in NZ and a friend in Oz) £42 a month including bt rental according to their calculator online.

Any downsides to this? Advice?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I have BT together Option 2 plus BT Broadband 512 kb [we're a way from the exchange] (costing £65 a month for both) I also have Sky Family package (£21 a month) Non LLu Exchange.

On the face of it I would be much better off with Sky see speak and surf package (the one with free international calls as I have a sister in NZ and a friend in Oz) £42 a month including bt rental according to their calculator online.

Any downsides to this? Advice?
    Welcome to the MSE forums cornish lady.

Are you sure that £65 is your monthly cost? £65/month for BT Together Option 2 and basic broadband seems very high. AFAIAA, BT Together Option 2 costs £13.95/month and BT Broadband costs £17.99/month - i.e. £31.94 in total. If the rest of that £65/month is on calls (i.e. other than evening and weekend calls to UK 01/02/03), you certainly need to do something about that.

The £5/month Sky Talk Unlimited CPS phone package would give you 'free' phone calls of up to an hour each to UK 01/02/03 number and to landlines in 10 countries (NZ included) at all times - so that might well be worthwhile for you. You'd still have to pay BT line rental though (although you would want to downgrade to the £10.50/month BT Together Option 1).

However, it sounds like you'd be the same as me and don't qualify for the See,Speak,Surf package because your exchange is not/is not due to be unbundled. As such, you'd only be offered Sky Connect broadband (£17/month on its own) and, although allegedly 'up to 8Mb, in reality you'd get no increases in speed on what you're getting now.

If you currently spend £5/month on peak UK 01/02/03 calls and calls to NZ, I'd suggest just going for Sky Talk unlimited.

In any case, please click the 'HERE' link in my signature below.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Hi Thanks for that, I'm on the next higher Broadband deal as I download quite a lot of graphics stuff and was consistently having to pay extra so upgraded to the 40gig one.(£24.99 a month) I also have 3 calling features (£3.50 a month)

The £65 a month is what I pay via DD this covers the bill with very little left over.

I have been offered the see speak surf connect package for £31 a month with BT's line rental still to pay and the same TV package I'm on now making the Phone and BBand £10 a month (plus line rental)
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    I think you'll find the telephone package you've been offered is Sky Talk Freetime - so you'd have to upgrade to Sky Talk Unlimited - adding another £5.

So, your See, Speak, Surf package comes out at:

TV
    £21
    Sky Talk Unlimited ---- £ 5
    Sky Connect broadband --£17*
    ========================£43

Add £10.50 for BT Together Option 1 and another £3.50 for your Calling Features, and your total will be £57

*Put your phone number into section B HERE - I think you'll find only Connect broadband (£17) is available to you.

As you'll have seen from the 'HERE' link in my signature below, a 18185 account could be used too to save you money on calls to mobiles and to 0845/0870 numbers at certain times (see HERE). Although Sky modified its Sky Talk rates to call 0845/0870 numbers on 1/9/07 (matching BT's exactly), I'd still recommend using the 1280 or 18185 prefixes as appropriate.

Similarly, I'd advise always using the 1280 prefix when making calls to 0844 and 0871 numbers.

BTW, as Sky Talk are CPS packages, you'll still have to pay BT for those Calling Features.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • just been and triple checked it and it's offering me the sky tv at £21, the sky talk unlimited for £5 and the Sky connect broadband for £5. making £31 in total

This with telling them I'm already a sky customer and putting my landline number in (there's also £5 monthly off for doing it online)
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    just been and triple checked it and it's offering me the sky tv at £21, the sky talk unlimited for £5 and the Sky connect broadband for £5. making £31 in total
    I don't understand the £5 Connect broadband charge (the website has one price - £17 - for that) but, if they honour that quote, it's a pretty good saving for you.

If they (now or in the future) offer you landline rental too, turn it down and stay on CPS.

I'd still recommend a 18185 account as well though.
  • Thank you Heinz, I don't understand it either but that's what it says. I'll remember the thing about the CPS.

I might just have to be brave and have a go, I thought I'd ask first as it sounded too good to be true (and we know what that usually means :D )

I have saved the info from the "Here" link too, thank you.

I'll let you know what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals