Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

in Phones & TV
276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• Not sure if I've done the right thing? I've just been collared in Tesco's and have signed up for their homephone deal. I don't use the phone much (currently about £15 per month with BT including the £10.50 line rental).
    Tesco offer £11 line rental, 5p per evening call (BT is 4.5p) and 2.8p p/min daytime with 5p minimum (BT is 3.25p with 6p minimum). Advantage is I get clubcard points for every penny spent. Oh and directory enquiries is free. Don't think it will change the bill much though. I use Eclipse for my broadband at £14.99 per month 8mb unlimited. Tiscali deal sounds cheaper all over but I'm a bit worried about the service. Eclipse have been 100% service wise.
    Has anyone else got Tesco home phone?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if I've done the right thing? I've just been collared in Tesco's and have signed up for their homephone deal.

Has anyone else got Tesco home phone?
    Certainly not anyone who did the research before being collared in Tescos!

My advice would be for you to read the 'HERE' link in my signature below and see if you can back out.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • You would have signed either a 12 or 18 month contract with Tesco. Which if you try to get out of later will result in you being charged a cancellation fee.Cancel now while the going is good.

From their T&C.
    1. 7 working days 'cooling-off' period - your right to change your mind

If you change your mind after you have requested Tesco home phone, you can tell us that you would like to cancel and you will not incur any costs or penalties. Please let us know you wish to cancel at any time before the end of 7 working days from the date of receiving your Welcome Pack by calling, emailing, faxing or writing to Customer Services (please see our Contact Us details). Once you use Tesco home phone to make or receive a Call, your cancellation right under paragraph 3 ends, but you can still end your Contract under paragraph 5.
  • Uh-oh. Thanks for the advice guys. Don't know what I was thinking. Will cancel tomorrow.
    !!!!!!!
  • hostertladyhostertlady Forumite
    862 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    pickle

you got tempted by the thought of the club card points:D :D didnt you?? admit it!
  • Hi, I'm feeling a bit addled by all this information (useful though it is!) Am I correct in thinking that BT Option 1 + Primus Saver 2 is still cheaper than my current BT Option 2? (I'm not sure I can get the rest of the family to use the 18185 override to complete 'package' in the MSE article). Thanks for any advice & a big thank you to Heinz for his article.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jtcowie wrote: »
    Hi, I'm feeling a bit addled by all this information (useful though it is!) Am I correct in thinking that BT Option 1 + Primus Saver 2 is still cheaper than my current BT Option 2? (I'm not sure I can get the rest of the family to use the 18185 override to complete 'package' in the MSE article). Thanks for any advice & a big thank you to Heinz for his article.
    Yes.

(1). BT Together Option 2 - £3.45/month
    (2). Primus Saver Option 2 - £0.00/month

Primus also offers free 90 minute UK 01/02/03 calls whereas BT only offers inclusive 60 minute UK 01/02/03 calls.

I'd also recommend asking for the (also free) Penny Mobile 2 add-on to the Priumus Saver Option 2 CPS package (calls of up to 20 minutes to UK mobiles for a flat rate of 20p).

Is there no chance of you getting an Orchid to automate your family's call routing? You could then forget about 'educating' them - the Orchid would do the routing automatically.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • :T You are a marvel Heinz!! I would never have been able to work all this out myself. I have spoken to a very nice woman at Orchid and will be getting one - thank god they are going to program it though. And it's brilliant that it can be remotely updated when Martin deems a better deal is around. I just need to join the Heinz Table now - but I'm sure they'll explain how to do that when I get the Orchid. MANY THANKS
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jtcowie wrote: »
    I just need to join the Heinz Table now - but I'm sure they'll explain how to do that when I get the Orchid.
    The latest (1 Aug 2007) 'Heinz program' is HERE.

If you want to follow that program (note, you must have BT Together Option 1, Primus Saver Option 2 CPS and a 18185 account to do so), check out THIS THREAD.
  • Hi,
    I don't think this has been covered but apologies if it has. I work from home and use BT option 1 for my business line for incoming calls but use mobile phones for all out going. However, if I leave the office I need to forward the phone to my mobile, which is quite frequently, so basically everytime the phone rings im paying a BT landline call to my mobile. I can't use a prefix number so does anyone having any cunning ideas as its costing me around £60/month. Many thanks in advance.
    Huleo
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides