Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

in Phones & TV
276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not really complicated but I admit it looks a bit of a 'big read' at first sight.

If I can try to summarise for you:

1. BT Together Option 1 - £10.50 per month;
    2. Primus Saver Option 2 CPS - free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of up to 90 minutes each - NO MONTHY FEE;
    3. www.18185.co.uk for peak UK 01/02 calls for 5p each regardless of duration, for cheap international calls and for calls to UK mobles.

There's more there but those are the important 3 points.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz wrote: »
    And, after you've read the Martin's regularly updated article (link above), may I recommend clicking the 'HERE' link in my signature below as a sort of down-market personal précis.
    I am thinking about siging to the Be Value today, but before that i 'd like to know few things:
    1) is the Be Value (£14 !) really truly unlimited?
    2) I suppose that i will use file-sharing software download videos and films, but what is Be there's police for this ? (p2p)
    3)I am paying BT line rental and want change my broadband isp from pipex to Be for their good speed, no caps( are they?) and unlimited servers, also I want sign up primus saver for cutting down the phone cost too, but which one i should signing first? the Be or Primus? i am really confused about somethings like Be has it owe exchange line? and primus will work as CPS on the BT line?
    4) can anyone refer me to Be?
    5) I phoned up primus yesterday asked for option 2, the gentlemen over the phone said they have cutting the option 3 's price from £8.49 down to £5.99p/m, would it be an good deal for me? I have family living in New Zealand and China and i use 020 number to phone them a lot in the day time ,so the unlimted any time 010/020 call sounds good, right? but what is the verdict? if there have any.
    6) Primus saver asked me that do i know anybody used Primus servers so I can ask them to refer me to Primus and the penson who referred me will gain £20 something, but I need his/her telephone number, or Primus account number. Anyone can help me with this?

thanks a lot.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES, This is my very first post to the web _______

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :(Try to be Happy:(
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was your second post but, no matter, welcome to the MSE forums!

Your BT line is the carrier for any provider's ADSL broadband so you need that (it is not a good idea to allow any other provider to take over your line rental).

Primus Saver Option 2 CPS would give you free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of up to 90 minutes each for no monthly fee. The Primus guy tried to steer you towards other packages simply because they're chargeable!

The cheapest ways of calling NZ and China from a BT landline are listed on the MSE International Callchecker. I think only 'pay in advance' providers use 020 gateway numbers and, as I prefer paying as I use, not before, I never even consider them for calls. I'd use one of the 0.5p/minute 0844 gateway providers (with a 1280 prefix) myself.

AFAIAA, Primus don't offer referral fees on their (free) Primus Saver Option 2 CPS package.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Thanks for all the replies and advice here.

Am wavering towards the Talk Talk 3 option - it's cheap and it certainly seems a lot simpler.

So, Heinz, is the Primus Saver Option 2 CPS actually free then? And what about Broadband? Can you tell me how much it comes to when you add it all up?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    120 UK 01/02 calls on 18185 would cost £6. Do you make that number of such calls each month, EVERY month, to justify paying Primus £5.99 instead?

Yes, Primus Saver Option 2 has no monthly subscription fee.

The total cost would be £10.50 for BT Together Option 1, £0.00 for Primus Saver Option 2 and whatever your preferred ISP charges for broadband (with a BT landline, you can choose whoever you want).
  • Heinz wrote: »
    That was your second post but, no matter, welcome to the MSE forums!

Your BT line is the carrier for any provider's ADSL broadband so you need that (it is not a good idea to allow any other provider to take over your line rental).

Primus Saver Option 2 CPS would give you free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of up to 90 minutes each for no monthly fee. The Primus guy tried to steer you towards other packages simply because they're chargeable!

The cheapest ways of calling NZ and China from a BT landline are listed on the MSE International Callchecker. I think only 'pay in advance' providers use 020 gateway numbers and, as I prefer paying as I use, not before, I never even consider them for calls. I'd use one of the 0.5p/minute 0844 gateway providers (with a 1280 prefix) myself.

AFAIAA, Primus don't offer referral fees on their (free) Primus Saver Option 2 CPS package.
    Heinz, thanks for you replies.

yes, the 020 gateway numbers i use are from pay in advance providers, which i find them on the the MSE International Callchecker . i have been using 020 number for years, never had any problems. and i fund this is the cheapest way calling china (so far) and NZ (sometimes). yes, i do need call the 0870 number first , which cost £1.50 each time, but each time you call that number you add £1.50 credit to you account, and that £1.50 will last me ages because they change 0.00p/m for calling china (and many another countys), so, all you paying is 5p connection change each time. .. off course, free anytime call plan will much better with this 0.00p/m things....yes, if you have to spend hours on each international calls.
    well , i think so.
    :(Try to be Happy:(
  • pete99 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience of SKY for phones or broadband.
    If you pay BT rental of £10.50, SKY gives you free evening and weekend calls and free broadband up to 2Mb.
    If you want free all week calls + free international, SKY charges £5.
    To me that add up to £15.50 for ALL local and national and international calls and includes free broadband.
    Thats cheaper than Talk Talk, of am I missing something. (I know you need SKY TV to qualify, but most people have that already).

My brother changed to Sky, they delayed installation and connection about three times, when they did finally get it connected there was some problem that cost him £25 on the helpline and they still cdn't solve so he gave up and went to BT. So far he has no complaints. I have recently checked out talktalk's website and am fed up beyond measure with NTL(Virgin) but apparently to get a BT line reconnected wd cost £125 which somewhat wipes out potential savings. Does anyone know of a BB provider that is reliable and doesn't require a BT line?
  • Does anybody fancy claiming some refunds off bt for false advertising. According to this link from the bt website a 3 hour call to any uk mobile at weekends is compleatly free of charge. Ive heard of false advertising but didn't expect it from bt. This could confuse alot of people who think the calls really are free.

Check the link to there call calulator and let me know what you think.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=15732

Regards

Chris
  • FL wrote: »
    I rang up as someone suggested on the thread and I managed to be transferred from the old package where I paid £3 but was given £5 credit a month to the free calls option. My old package had ended.

I think this may be an answer to the question I wanted to ask: I was on the old primus deal where you paid £3 per month but got £5 per month refund for first year. That year's now ended, so i'm just paying the £3. Can I switch to the free deal? If not, is there any other free evening/weekend calls CPS deal around - I'd prefer not to move the landline from BT, and I'd rather not go for Talk Talk.

Many thanks for any advice.
  • Anyone checked out Orange telephone/broadband bundle? any thoughts would be appreciated?

Van
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion