Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

in Phones & TV
276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• 10_6610_66 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many thanks Heinz. I've checked with Primus and they say that my service with them is not due to commence until 22 August and they don't know why I can't access first:telecom's pre-fix service, and I've checked with first:telecom (the service I've been using) and they say that all is in order. The only other thing I can think of is that I have registered with 18185. It doesn't really matter now as I'll be using Primus (when able) and 18185 (as per yours/Martin's recommendations), but I wondered whether not being able to access first:telecom might be something to do with 18185? I would just like to know why (don't like mysteries!).
  • Hi Pete!!

I have used Sky for phone calls for a couple of years or more now. I have the full sky package for TV and as you say pay BT £10.50 and Sky then charges me 3p a min or whatever (same as BT...they are clever to keep track of the competition! ;) ) However, the best bit is the evening and weekend calls which are free local and national as you said. You can use the usual 1471, 1571 thingies...However when before broadband I had a problem with Rogue diallers on my PC, it was difficult to barr them without also having to stop overseas calls too, as this came as a combination (don't know why??) Doesn't bother me as I don't make overseas calls. No problems with Sky otherwise.

Can you use the override numbers like 18185 and 18866 with you SKY phone package or does SKY bar them?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pete99 wrote: »
    Can you use the override numbers like 18185 and 18866 with you SKY phone package or does SKY bar them?
    Sky Talk Freetime and Sky Talk Unlimited are both CPS (Carrier PreSelect) services. CPS providers cannot bar such access to prefix (override) providers.

Access to BT also remains available via the 1280 prefix.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • ChrisM_2ChrisM_2 Forumite
    16 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Whatever you do don't move to Tiscali line rental. We have had no land line for more than 2 weeks since the day we were supposed to move from BT to Tiscali. We already had our broadband and calls with Tiscali, but they don't have a clue how to deal with land lines. BT disconnected us, but Tiscali have been completely unable to connect us, and keep telling us we have to go back to BT for them to sort it out. BT say Tiscali have our line (or at least their wholesalers Gamma Telecom have it) and BT can do nothing, other than re-register us and make us wait 2 weeks and pay a re-connection charge. We have spent about £70 on mobile phone calls and I don't know how much on a neighbour's land line. The 'Technical Support' team in Bangalore are utterly useless and have not attempted to do anything to help. We are in daily contact with a Complaints Manager at the Head Office in the UK, but she doesn't seem to know what to do and has been unable to get us our landline back. As of yesterday she hadn't even talked to BT!

So don't go there!

Chris
  • shoishoi Forumite
    161 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Quality of broadband service - a bbc report from 2007
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/internet/internet_20070321.shtml

result
    1st Global - Waitrose - Zen - Madasafish - 5th Metronet
    going all the way down to
    Worst Biscit, Bulldog, Orange.

Of these only madasafish do a phone+broadband package.

Having said that I switched over today to bethere.co.uk 24M speed (couldnt resist)
    Modem arrived Monday, switchover was done at midnight (ie Tuesday night) I think. Connected first time, needed support to get the wireless going (Freephone!) which was succesful. Speed already 5x what I had before. Hurrah!

Steve
  • eddaedda Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    People migrating from another line provider (e.g. Talk Talk) have to go back to BT (as their line provider) first if they're daft enough to be considering going to another LLU (or WLR) provider. A 12 month contract for line rental might well be insisted upon at that point.

For us non-techies, could you define LLU and WLR please? :confused:
  • 10_6610_66 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not that I know anything about it myself, attached are a couple of links to Wikipedia that might help to explain what LLU and WLR are.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_loop_unbundling
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wholesale_Line_Rental
  • 10_6610_66 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    All is probably OK - it's just that the switch has been completed (although a couple of days does sound remarkably quick).

Primus service not available until 22 August, but the 1640 code is still unavailable. Have spoken to BT who said that they were instructed to cancel the "other company" (ie first:telecom 1640) on the 8 August (the same day that Primus advised BT that they would be the CPS). Have spoken to first:telecom, who said they find that with some companies, Primus, Bulldog, Post Office, they find that people who used the 1640 prefix find it doesn't work after going over to Primus etc. Are Primus allowed to block some prefixes or allowed to cancel an existing account you may have with someone else? Strange that the 18185 prefix works, if the 1640 doesn't, or could that simply be because the 18185 account was set up after the Primus account? Also BT say I had a previous CPS, which I didn't, I've only ever been with BT and used the 1640 prefix for all but non geographic calls.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only explanation I can think of is that you did (do?) actually have a CPS account with First Telecom but were never told you didn't have to dial the 1640 access number any more? I remember that, when I first moved to OneTel some years ago, I had to dial a 1877 (or was it 1878?) prefix to access their network in the 2 or 3 weeks before CPS was operational - but the prefix still worked even after CPS was up and running.

You signing up for Primus would result in Primus telling BT and BT telling First Telecom. The CPS 'swop' should be at a specific time/date (22/8/07) but it may be that First Telecom have 'switched off' 1640 access in advance - but left your CPS (no prefix) access operational.

I know it's only a few days now so you may not be that bothered (because 18185's calls are only 5p each) but it would be interesting to find out whether First Telecom or BT are carrying your calls at the moment if you just dial normally (i.e. without any prefix).

You can check by activating BT's Charge Advice system temporarily and making a short test call to a geographical number. If you receive a Charge Advice callback immediately after you've finished the call, BT carried it, if you don't, First Telecom did.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • 10_6610_66 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Heinz, I'm definitely with BT. I carried out the test you suggested to me in a previous post and I got the BT call back straight away, also my non geographic calls are appearing on my BT bill at present. It's all quite a mystery, but then things like this always seem to happen to me, I wish the gremlins would pick on someone else for a change!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News