Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

articlealert.gif

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

This discussion is now closed. Click here for the new discussion

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    And, after you've read the Martin's regularly updated article (link above), may I recommend clicking the 'HERE' link in my signature below as a sort of down-market personal précis.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    6179 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Does this talktalk option apply to new customers only or can exsting customers apply for the lower rate?
  • I assume that TalkTalk continues to be part of the Carphone Warehouse Group.
    They used to be VERY good but then their customer service completely disintegrated. They and their debt collectors continue to threaten me for what I do not believe I owe after I canceled both TalkTalk and Fresh contracts.
    They completely ignore incoming post even if marked for the personal attention of the chief executive and will not send me any accounts to support their allegations.
    Cheap is not always good value. Be very, very careful.
  • Bufflowbill
    Bufflowbill Posts: 381 Forumite
    6179 wrote: »
    Does this talktalk option apply to new customers only or can exsting customers apply for the lower rate?

Yes once your 18 month contract expires you can downgrade.
  • Bufflowbill
    Bufflowbill Posts: 381 Forumite
    Martin MSE second choice after Talk Talk i quote.

"For those who don’t want/can’t have TalkTalk

If you're in the 30% of the UK that TalkTalk can't service or if you're worried about its history, Tiscali's* 'free broadband' offering comes a close second. For £22.50/month all in you can get broadband, line rental and all UK landline calls included. Use the override information above to cut the cost of other calls."

Is also only available in certain parts of UK.See: http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/home-bundles.html?code=ZZ-NL-11GK

"Please note: This package is available to 52% of all UK homes. If this product is not available in your area then you will be offered a discounted alternative so you can still enjoy savings on your line rental. "
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Talk Talk still seem to have problems.

When trying to check availability of broadband on the Talk Talk website, all I got was PAGE NOT FOUND when entering my phone number and Post Code!
  • Don't forget this cheap package only applies if TalkTalk has their equipment in your local exchange. Otherwise its £17.50 for the line rental and unmetred calls plus £10.00 per month for the broadband. So the cheap package only applies to a minority of TalkTalk clients as I understand the situation.
    They say that they are installing their own gear as quickly as possible but it seems to be a slow process.
  • shoi
    shoi Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    martin wrote:
    Isn’t it a shame phones don’t have price tags? Scarily, pick up and dial and you’ve no clue how much the call is costing.

BUT THEY COULD!:
    18866 does it. (Its a dial prefix call provider).
    you dial 18866 then the number, and then the robot says for example
    TWO PENCE PER MINUTE

so this is what OFCOM could force them all to do, and then we'd know when we're being ripped off and when we aren't
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Ronalto wrote: »
    Don't forget this cheap package only applies if TalkTalk has their equipment in your local exchange. Otherwise its £17.50 for the line rental and unmetred calls plus £10.00 per month for the broadband.
    Welcome to the MSE forums Ronalto.

I just checked what it would cost me (just out of interest, there's no way they're getting my custom).

My exchange isn't LLU'd so:

Landline rental -
    £10.50
    Up to 8Mb broadband -- £15.00
    Talk 3 International - £ 9.99

£35.49

Even without the £29.99 'activation fee', I can beat those prices with BT, Primus Saver Option 2 and 18185.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Has anyone had any experience of SKY for phones or broadband.
    If you pay BT rental of £10.50, SKY gives you free evening and weekend calls and free broadband up to 2Mb.
    If you want free all week calls + free international, SKY charges £5.
    To me that add up to £15.50 for ALL local and national and international calls and includes free broadband.
    Thats cheaper than Talk Talk, of am I missing something. (I know you need SKY TV to qualify, but most people have that already).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure