Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

in Phones & TV
276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• 10_6610_66 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for being a bit slow, I just want to clarify. Does this mean then, that if I did want to cancel Primus as my CPS provider, as long as I stayed on BT Option 1 (which is what I have at present) then I would not have to sign up with BT on a 12 month contract?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10_66 wrote: »
    Sorry for being a bit slow, I just want to clarify. Does this mean then, that if I did want to cancel Primus as my CPS provider, as long as I stayed on BT Option 1 (which is what I have at present) then I would not have to sign up with BT on a 12 month contract?
    Correct, provided you don't change BT Together packages.

Of course, you have an open-ended contract with BT anyway - for BT Together Option 1 (effectively line rental if you use a CPS).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Not clear on a couple of things in Martin's article, about use of override providers in conjunction with Talk Talk: 1. Calls to mobiles - he says only use override providers where you don't have to set up a contract. Does this mean you can't use 18185/18866? 2. Daytime calls to landlines - again, can I still use 18185? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light for me on this
  • Not clear on a couple of things in Martin's article, about use of override providers in conjunction with Talk Talk: 1. Calls to mobiles - he says only use override providers where you don't have to set up a contract. Does this mean you can't use 18185/18866? 2. Daytime calls to landlines - again, can I still use 18185? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light for me on this

You may well be able to BUT a lot of CPS providers are starting to block them and only BT have to allow them under the regulations.

I am no expert on this so you may want to wait for Heinz to post back a reply also.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not clear on a couple of things in Martin's article, about use of override providers in conjunction with Talk Talk: 1. Calls to mobiles - he says only use override providers where you don't have to set up a contract. Does this mean you can't use 18185/18866? 2. Daytime calls to landlines - again, can I still use 18185? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light for me on this
    It depends. If you have transferred your line rental to Talk Talk, they seem to operate a policy of barring access to the likes of 1899 and 18185 on lines running on their LLU equipment at your BT exchange.

The picture is less clear if Talk Talk are just re-selling BT's WLR to you but, even then, Talk Talk will certainly have it written into their T&Cs that they can, at their sole discretion, bar such access.

However, if you still pay your line rental to BT and are merely using Talk Talk as your CPS (Carrier PreSelect) calls provider, Talk Talk (or any other CPS for that matter) cannot stop you routing your calls as you wish - so you can use prefix (override) providers like 1899, 18185 and 18866, any of the gateway providers (e.g. those listed in the MSE Callcheckers) and/or 1280 (to 'hop back onto' BT) for that matter.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • My latest Primus Saver Option 2 Bill offers Line Rental through Primus.
    Sign up today & get first month free but I must have an active Carrier Pre selection Calls Package & agree 18 month line rental contract. Is this package better than my current deal & how much is Primus line rental ? Do I still get my free national/local calls off peak ?
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    MarkDF wrote: »
    My latest Primus Saver Option 2 Bill offers Line Rental through Primus.
    Sign up today & get first month free but I must have an active Carrier Pre selection Calls Package & agree 18 month line rental contract. Is this package better than my current deal & how much is Primus line rental ? Do I still get my free national/local calls off peak ?

Have a read of this thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=508470&highlight=primus+line+rental
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    The picture is less clear if Talk Talk are just re-selling BT's WLR to you but, even then, Talk Talk will certainly have it written into their T&Cs that they can, at their sole discretion, bar such access.

People have reported they have already done this to them.

See: http://forum.niftylist.co.uk/index.php?topic=854.0
  • 10_6610_66 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of days ago I applied for the above option and was told it would take around 15 working days before being able to use. However, today I have just tried using my phone, using a pre-fix number for the company I'm using at present before changing over to Martins/Heinzs's suggestions. I was met by a voice saying that I was "trying to access a network to which I'm not subscribed". Can anyone tell me why this has happened? I haven't cancelled my account with my previous user. I thought that if Primus was your CPS you could use a pre-fix number to use other services.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10_66 wrote: »
    A couple of days ago I applied for the above option and was told it would take around 15 working days before being able to use. However, today I have just tried using my phone, using a pre-fix number for the company I'm using at present before changing over to Martins/Heinzs's suggestions. I was met by a voice saying that I was "trying to access a network to which I'm not subscribed". Can anyone tell me why this has happened? I haven't cancelled my account with my previous user. I thought that if Primus was your CPS you could use a pre-fix number to use other services.
    All is probably OK - it's just that the switch has been completed (although a couple of days does sound remarkably quick).

Primus supplied me with a 4-digit prefix (can't remember what it was) so I could use their network before the change to their CPS occurred. After it occurs, no prefix is used (calls default to their network).

When a CPS is operational on a line, a 1280 prefix will send an individual call out via BT (handy for some 084/087 calls), and you have the option to use 1899, 18185, 18866 (if you have accounts with them) for other calls (to mobiles, international etc.). In fact, now is the time to work out which calls should go by default on Primus (I'd suggest ONLY evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of less than 90 minutes - which will be free) and which should go via other providers.

THIS summary of the basics of Carrier PreSelect may help.

If your current calls provider is BT (i.e. you don't currently use another CPS) and you want to check whether your calls are still going out on BT, you can do so using BT's Charge Advice system - HERE's how.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides