First Post
Forumite
edited 14 June 2010 at 2:32PM in Phones & TV

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Comments

• akyman
    akyman Posts: 5 Forumite
    I'm wondering if anyone knows if you can use 18185 with line rental from Talk Talk? I'm an avid user of 18185- it has saved me a small fortune but the Talk Talk offer seems good. I wouldn't touch Tiscali with a barge pole after my mother had untold hassle after some intermidiary signed her up fraudulently online.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    akyman wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone knows if you can use 18185 with line rental from Talk Talk? I'm an avid user of 18185- it has saved me a small fortune but the Talk Talk offer seems good. I wouldn't touch Tiscali with a barge pole after my mother had untold hassle after some intermidiary signed her up fraudulently online.

Only BT have to allow the use of indirect access codes like 18185. If your going to take an unbundled package on TT it will not work.

You should however be able to use their 0808/020 access codes but the rates are different.See: http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php
  • rydalong
    rydalong Posts: 11 Forumite
    Only BT have to allow the use of indirect access codes like 18185. If your going to take an unbundled package on TT it will not work.

You should however be able to use their 0808/020 access codes but the rates are different.See: http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php

Am with DST and succesfully use both 18185 and 1899. However, DST now seem a bit costly at around £26.00 a month for broadband, line rental and "free" anytime UK calls up to 60 minutes.

Anybody know of another provider, please, who is able to offer a similar service at a better price - NOT Tiscali, as they were a disaster! Thanks
  • Just signed up a few weeks ago to Tiscali's broadband and anytime talk package (£14.99 for 1st 3 months, £19.99 a month after that) - seems OK so far: router arrived on time, decent broadband speed (although I'm only 0.5km from my local exchange) and pretty much hassle free to set up. Even the customer service was helpful!

However, I'm not sure if I can use an override provider for 0870, 0844, 0845, etc. numbers - the small print's not too forthcoming. Anyone got any knowledge on this?
  • joannie
    joannie Posts: 45 Forumite
    Hi,

I have recently changed to Talk Talk but now my access to override providers has been blocked. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how to get round this. I really miss being able to use the phone during the daytime.
  • rydalong
    rydalong Posts: 11 Forumite
    . . . . . However, I'm not sure if I can use an override provider for 0870, 0844, 0845, etc. numbers - the small print's not too forthcoming. Anyone got any knowledge on this?

It is somewhat vague now, but seem to recall DST had to be requested to allow 1899 & 18185 to be used. May be worth having a word with your service provider.
  • terry2
    terry2 Posts: 126
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was interested in signing up with tiscali for their cheap deal, but when I tried to do it, at the very end of the process, they said that as they did not have LLU on my exchange they were going to have to charge for line rental at another £7:50 per month (so I went elsewhwere).

Now, it turns out they only have LLU on 898 exchanges (out of the total of 5592 exchanges). So people really need to check first.
  • billsavings
    joannie wrote: »
    Hi,

I have recently changed to Talk Talk but now my access to override providers has been blocked. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how to get round this. I really miss being able to use the phone during the daytime.

I presume you mean 18185,1899,18866.
    Thats one of the disadvantages of moving your line rental from BT. See post 3 above.;)
  • billsavings
    rydalong wrote: »
    Am with DST and succesfully use both 18185 and 1899. However, DST now seem a bit costly at around £26.00 a month for broadband, line rental and "free" anytime UK calls up to 60 minutes.

Anybody know of another provider, please, who is able to offer a similar service at a better price - NOT Tiscali, as they were a disaster! Thanks

BT have to allow indirect access. Other suppliers can block it and do without notice. It does not work on unbundled exchanges. Thats one of the reasons its considered a good idea to leave your line rental with BT.
  • billsavings
    Just signed up a few weeks ago to Tiscali's broadband and anytime talk package (£14.99 for 1st 3 months, £19.99 a month after that) - seems OK so far: router arrived on time, decent broadband speed (although I'm only 0.5km from my local exchange) and pretty much hassle free to set up. Even the customer service was helpful!

However, I'm not sure if I can use an override provider for 0870, 0844, 0845, etc. numbers - the small print's not too forthcoming. Anyone got any knowledge on this?

Yes you can use 08 access numbers on unbundled Tiscali.But you cant use indirect codes like 18185.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback