Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    wildbri wrote: »
    \I have used Tiscali for a few years, it works ok but I dont think it should be called best buy, has most people cant get the line rental included deal, I would think the Talk Talk deal was the best buy and as soon as they do a free connection deal I will be off to join them...........unless someone knows why I shouldn't .......regards bri

Before you could move to TT you would have to return to BT.
  • mcgsp
    mcgsp Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a bit confused and would like some help, please.

My son is moving to a flat and plans to have SKY TV for the sports (about £35!). He is also planning to take their mid broadband (£5pcm).

What I want to know is: is it worth him also taking SKY TALK and, if he does, should he pay line rental to SKY or BT? At present we use an overider (18866) for most calls. He does not make expect to make many calls to UK landlines.

Would using SKY TALK and taking the rental of the phone direct from SKY prevent him using an overide provider?

Would using SKY TALK but taking the line rental from BT (only 50p extra) prevent him using an overide provider?

The easiest option might be just to take the TV and broadband from SKY but stick with BT option 1 (new contract) for phone rental and most calls from an overide provider. (There is already a BT line in the flat)
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I'd say tell him to leave the line rental with BT.

Please see the HERE link in my signature below too.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • mcgsp
    mcgsp Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Heinz for a prompt reply. I will need to study the detailed information you have provided at HERE. A decision on whether to take SKY Talk can be made after studying your information.

In the meantime I'll advise him to keep with BT for the rental.
  • veryverynewmoneysaver
    Options
    I have just started using this company, and the rates seem to be considerably more than advertised. The message quotes0.28p per minute, but it seems to charge 4p or 5p for calls which have lasted less than 2 minutes. I have e-mailed company but have not received a reply so far: any ideas?
  • sanchosser
    sanchosser Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    WARNING: Tiscali free line rental now appears to be for customers AFTER A YEAR:

"Thank you for contacting Tiscali Technical Support.

We understand that you wish to know about the free line rental.

I would like to mention that the free line rental is only available after completion of one year contract.

I request you to contact the registration Team at at 0800 107 9000 ( toll free ) to register for a new Broadband connection. They are in a better position to assist you.

For any further assistance, please feel free to contact us."

I wanted to go back to Tiscali where I used to have their free line rental. Called the free number and they're going to call back on Monday to see what they can do for me.
  • billsavings
    Options
    sanchosser wrote: »
    I would like to mention that the free line rental is only available after completion of one year contract.

What they mean is you have to sign a 12 month contract to get it.;)
    The Line Rental is inclusive not Free.:D
  • Mum_of_5_2
    Mum_of_5_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a bit confused!

We are a family of 7 - 5 kids none of which 'sit' on the phone. so I don't think we are heavy users, it's more short quick calls.

We have BT phone line and Broadband - I then use 18185 on top.

currently my bills with BT are £40 a month and then about £8-10 with 18185 - that's £50 a month!!

I've looked into changing but I don't really like Tiscali or Talk talk as they have such bad reviews. I was contemplating virgin as they seem to do everything we have, plus TV for about £25! or sky?

Martin's info says to stay with BT for your landline - unless i've read it wrong. So now i'm really confused as i though the was always sayign BT is expensive.
    I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions?

thanks
  • sanchosser
    sanchosser Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    What they mean is you have to sign a 12 month contract to get it.;)
    The Line Rental is inclusive not Free.:D

To confirm, the website and call centre are only offering me 25 per cent off the line rental (about £8).

They say they won't give me free line rental until I have completed a year's contract with them.
  • billsavings
    Options
    sanchosser wrote: »
    To confirm, the website and call centre are only offering me 25 per cent off the line rental (about £8).

They say they won't give me free line rental until I have completed a year's contract with them.

You only normally qualify for the inclusive line rental if your exchange has been unbundled,otherwise they offer you reduced rental. List of unbundled exchanges here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu-league.php?type=tiscali
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback