Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

edited 14 June 2010 at 3:32PM in Phones & TV
1.1K replies 372.6K views

Replies

• Garv_3Garv_3 Forumite
    2 Posts
    A word of warning for anyone planning to switch to TalkTalk. I switched from BT - to their landline and broadband package - almost two months ago and I have still not been connected to Broadband. Furthermore, I have been given precisely zero explanation as to why (one of the call centre staff muttered something like 'it may be a problem at the exchange' but that was as much as I got). As for customer service, they make BT look good! If I'd have known it was going to be this much hassle I would have put up with the higher charges and stayed with BT!
  • sanchossersanchosser Forumite
    48 Posts
    You only normally qualify for the inclusive line rental if your exchange has been unbundled,otherwise they offer you reduced rental. List of unbundled exchanges here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu-league.php?type=tiscali

The thing is, I was with Tiscali over a year ago and HAD free line rental!

They are now saying free line rental is ONLY for customers who have been with them for over a year.
  • Would love some advice. I am currently with BT for phone and broadband. Would love to switch elsewhere and perhaps get a package that incorporates the tv also.

Our exchange has not been unbundled so we are limited in switching broadband. Talktalk have contacted me with offer for phone for £10.50 and will be able to sign up to them for Broadband when available. (Friends have recommended this company.) We would like a TV package also as only have terrestrial channels at moment, but trying to find the best combined deal. (We do not have cable access in our area.)

I am rapidly getting confused trying to figure out most straight-forward option that will save me reason reasonable money.

Please help!
  • BufflowbillBufflowbill Forumite
    381 Posts
    sanchosser wrote: »
    The thing is, I was with Tiscali over a year ago and HAD free line rental!

They are now saying free line rental is ONLY for customers who have been with them for over a year.

I know a couple of people who joined Tiscali recently and got the line rental included from the start.Perhaps your exchange has no more capacity. Have you tried asking Tiscali for an explanation.
  • Hi. just had a phone call from Talk Talk to say my contract was up for renewal. they offerd me 3moths for half price to renew my contract for 18mths.
    I didnt think this was a great deal. Anyone know anyways of getting more out of them?
    Thanks
  • sanchossersanchosser Forumite
    48 Posts
    I know a couple of people who joined Tiscali recently and got the line rental included from the start.Perhaps your exchange has no more capacity. Have you tried asking Tiscali for an explanation.

Definitely a no-go. Having spoken to Tiscali (and got the phone operators to discuss with "their managers"), they can only offer me 25% off line rental.

So, I've opted for Talk Talk's £17 phone, broadband all-in-deal. Plus, with £100 off through Quidco, you can't go wrong.
  • Hi

I already have a package with Virgin media for TV and broadband. I have been offered to add a phone package for a £2.50 extra (with a possible £30 installation fee). This sounds like a good deal to me - anyone else tried this package, or any gotchas?

thanks

anthony
  • I'm a newcomer here, and I'm also a bit confused!

I currently have my line rental with BT at £10.50, and I pay £12.99 a month with Tiscali for broadband and free weekend calls.

As I will now be at home during the day, I'm looking for the best way to deal with my calls. I thought about 18185, but I'm a little confused as to how I would use it being as my call provider is Tiscali but my line rental is with BT.

Would I have to dial 1280 to access BT first, then 18185? Or would I just dial 18185?

The other option is to sign up for BT's Anytime plan for an extra £4.95 per month. But how would this work? Would I need to dial 1280 every time so that I'm not using Tiscali calls, but BT instead? Can I even sign up for an additional call plan with BT if my call provider is Tiscali?

The final thing is, if I did go with the BT Anytime plan (assuming I was able to do so), does that mean I would have to pay the full price for 1571 and caller display, as I would technically not be making any "chargeable" calls with them?

I know I'm probably asking some really stupid questions here, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

:o
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the MSE forums Matilda32.

You have Tiscali as your CPS (Carrier PreSelect) calls provider and, provided they still operate CPS normally, you need to dial a 1280 prefix to 'hop back onto BT' for an individual call OR a 18185 prefix (not 128018185) to send a call via 18185.

It may be that the low cost of your broadband depends on you keeping Tiscali as your CPS calls provider - so you cannot change to another provider for your calls (or to BT). You'd have to check with Tiscali on that.

Unless you are making 2 chargeable calls per month with the 1280 prefix, BT will charge you £1/month for basic 1571. But, on behalf of your friends and family, can I please urge you to dump 1571!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Thanks Heinz!

I'm not so confused now.... and I've managed to sort myself out now too. Changed to broadband only with Tiscali at £4.99 for 6 mths then £9.99 after that, and opted for BT's unlimited anytime plan. Based on the last couple of months usage I've saved myself about £10-£15 per month! Yay!! (Had to do a 12 mth contract with both though, not that that bothers me really - i know some people don't like being locked in).

Signed up to 18185 too, so that I can get cheaper calls to mobiles, although it still works out quite expensive... I just "tested" it and it cost me 17p for a 1 min 11 secs call. They obviously charge by the minute and not by the second, but I guess all the providers must do that, so I've still saved 7p compared to what BT would've charged for the same call....