Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    Options
    dare i ask, has anyone taken up aol with their free evening & weekend calls to landlines. there is no set up charge & they reckon within 2 months they will be offering line rentals also...

loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    loopy_lass wrote: »
    dare i ask, has anyone taken up aol with their free evening & weekend calls to landlines. there is no set up charge & they reckon within 2 months they will be offering line rentals also.
    Primus (recommended by Martin), have been offering free evening and weekend 01 & 02 calls of up to 90 minutes each for no set-up charge and with no monthly fee for years and, although they now also offer line rental, I'd recommend against changing from BT.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • g.philip2000
    Options
    Hi,
    I have recently joined Tiscali. Though there were some initial glitches the customer service was excellent. At one stage they sent a supervisor within one hour of my call to rectify a fault which one of their engineer could not handle it properly. The broadband speed I am getting now is between 5MB and 7MB while connected by cable and between 3MB and 5MB while on wireless. So far so good. Again, customer service is excellent especially in dealing with our queries and coming up with a satisfactory solution. I am paying only £9.99 per month (without VAT) for the first 3 months and afterwards £14.99. No TV, but free UK weekend and some free international calls and NO LINE RENTAL. Not bad at all for that price.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    I have previously stuck with advice from Heinz and the "stay with BT landline" using a separate Broadband provider (Primus), but the inclusive packages are so much cheaper, that I am thinking of changing in November when my Primus deal is over. However I find that Tiscali (the best deal on paper) cannot include the line rental deal as my local exchange is not unbundled (so they say). SKY don't offer their deal in my area either. Next best deal is Talk Talk who can offer the package!! Can anyone tell me if you can use overriders with Talk Talk ? Or if anyone can recommend another package that is just as cost effective ??
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • retired2
    retired2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    It must be great to have a choice! If you live in East Yorkshire the only option is Kingston Communications so we can't take advantage of any offers.
    :j
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    theloft wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if you can use overriders with Talk Talk ?

Talk Talk can, and do block the likes of 18185.

But access via their Freephone number should still work.

http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    retired2 wrote: »
    It must be great to have a choice! If you live in East Yorkshire the only option is Kingston Communications so we can't take advantage of any offers.

You should be able to use 18185 via their freephone number.

• theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    Talk Talk can, and do block the likes of 18185.
    But access via their Freephone number should still work.

Thanks, but that is a bit of a pain to dial that each time. Think I will keep looking!
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    theloft wrote: »
    Thanks, but that is a bit of a pain to dial that each time. Think I will keep looking!
    An Orchid would make the dialling thereof automatic.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • wilsojer
    wilsojer Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I've just had an offer from BT to return to them. Basically the offer is as follows:

- Standard line rental £10.50
    - All evening and weekend calls to landlines free
    - Caller ID free
    - Preference caller service (blocks out 95% of all sales calls) for free

The only downside is that I need to sign up for one year, but will all of this, I'm not sure why I would not want to sign up for a year. As it is BT, I should still be able to use 18185 for daytime calls. The only downside that I can see over Primus Saver 2 is max 60 minutes free calls with BT versus max 90 minutes free calls with Primus. We never really call anyone that long anyway, so I don't think that's a big issue.

Am I missing anything here ? Is there a better way to do this ?

Any advice greatly appreciated !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure