Forum Home» Phones & TV

Cheapest Home Phones Discussion - Page 12

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• Update

I have just come off the phone from ringing BT to get my MAC code with the full intention of moving providers (probably to SKY)

I was given the code but was enticed into staying with BT by Option 2 broadband for £14.99 a month (am paying 24.99 a month at present) plus a free home-hub and phone and free BT vision on a 12 month contract. Sounds good to me!!

I will use your other tips to reduce my bill too, thanks Heinz.
  • BANKERBANKER Forumite
    6 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    MSE_Archna wrote: »
    articlealert.gif

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheapest Home Phones Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Could someone please confirm that it is possible to use 18185 override with a Tiscali phone/broadband package.!8185 say I can Tiscali say I cannot. I do not want to change if I cannot use the override service
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    BANKER wrote: »
    Could someone please confirm that it is possible to use 18185 override with a Tiscali phone/broadband package.!8185 say I can Tiscali say I cannot. I do not want to change if I cannot use the override service
    If (I think it does) the Tiscali package involves handing over line rental to Tiscali too (i.e. you stop paying BT anything), Tiscali can stop you using indirect access call providers such as 1899, 18185 and 18866 (only BT is required by its licence to allow such access).

If, however, the voice telephony part of the Tiscali package is Carrier PreSelect (i.e. you continue paying line rental - probably BT Together Option 1 - to BT), there'd be no problem.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Tiscali £14.99 (phone line rental, broadband unlimited and free weekend and international calls) sounds such a better deal, even though yes it does only cover 52% of the country.
  • Im the same.. All the offers look great, IF you already have a phone line connected.
    Is there any way around the £125 BT want to charge to reconnect me?? We had a phone line at the address previously and i think somebody else is now using it so WE now have to pay out for it again!
    I cant belive BT are getting away with this!! :rolleyes:
    Any advice pls???
    Darronaldo wrote: »
    YES!! ARGH, BT make me SOOOO angry. I want to follow Martin's advice and get Talk Talk with Broadband, but BT seem to have a monopoly setting up lines! And they want to lock me into a contract WITHOUT a cooling off period in which I can swap to a different provider. What can I do...?!

I've just moved into a new home (finally on the ladder!) and the line was 'Ceased' having not been used for years.

I called BT - waited 25 minutes for them to answer - they eventually said it would cost £125 to connect the line again!

When I asked why, she said she could connect me to complaints dept if I liked. She kept on quoting that price robotically when I questioned her further about what could have ceased the line. What a joke! It's probably BT's fault its disconnected, perhaps if BT have used my line for another house.

Broke from moving, I called back - waited another 25-30 minutes in a que ("I'm sorry, but we're extremely busy at the moment" is the message regardless of when you call during the day!) and after being put through to the wrong person (and waiting again in a que) they said they'd only charge me if the wiring in my house was the issue. Argh, so the same issue got 2 different answers! [gzzgz sound of teeth grating]

They missed the appointment for the engineer to come and check it out, and failed to call. When I called them they said the person had told me the wrong day. No real apology that my wife had taken the day off.

The bottom line is - I want Talk Talk - but I seem to have to use the monopolising, smug and ineffiencient BT to get one. BT also said there was NO cooling off period - once I was connected I would be locked into a 12 month contract! That can't be right? Talk Talk said they have to give me a cooling off period by law. ARe BT wising up to this advice?

All I want to do is use a different provider to BT - but they seem to hold all the aces! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg - SO frustrating

Can anyone help?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Is there any way around the £125 BT want to charge to reconnect me?? We had a phone line at the address previously and i think somebody else is now using it so WE now have to pay out for it again!
    I cant belive BT are getting away with this!! :rolleyes:
    Any advice pls???
    Yes, get angry with ALL the so-called 'LINE PROVIDERS' which LIE by saying you have to have a working BT line before they can take you on and/or which say that they can't install/reconnect lines.

Any of them CAN install/reconnect a line by paying Openreach to do the work (just like BT has to do).

Those that say they can't really mean they won't because they are cheapskates trying to make potential customers pay when they should be paying (because it costs £103.40 for Openreach to do the work, but taking over a line from BT costs £2.35).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Hi All,

Here's my scenario: I am on BT option 1 - pay £11 line rental. The person who mainly uses the phone is my mum, who is over 60, and so probably does not want to fiddle around with access codes or anything. What are the best options to go with? And the total bill came to £28 approx on the first full month. So clearly paying more than I should do.

I have read up on for Primus Saver Option 2. As per Heinz+MSE article. However what is the catch? They just give you free evening and weekend calls? What's in it for them? Surely there isn't such a thing as a free lunch? (Mind you this is MSE.)

If there are no access numbers - how does it work?

Also does it affect the call quality at all?

After that step, any other tips to reduce the bill would be great.

Apologies if some questions have been answered already.

Thanks.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    I can understand your uncertainty about Primus Saver Option 2 abulkasam but, yes it is really a free lunch - you really do get free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of up to 90 minutes each for no monthly fee!

It's a Carrier PreSelect (CPS) service and it works like THIS. As you will probably realise after reading that, their hope is 'subscribers' make all their other calls via them too (i.e. daytime 01/02, mobile, international and 08x calls) - and it's those they hope to make their money on.

However, if you've read my '6-steps' (under the 'HERE' link in my signature below), you'll know there are ways of NOT doing that!

OTOH, please don't do you Mum down - there are more people over 60 in the UK now than there are under 60 - and they're not all in their dotage!

OK, so you don't think your Mum will remember to dial the 18185 prefix for weekday, mobile etc. calls. The obvious choice then is an Orchid. It'd probably be something for you to program but it would make least cost routing transparent to the user.

Another possibility is an "all UK 01/02 calls" package. BT Together Option 3 at £7.95 extra per month is cheaper than Primus Saver Option 3 at £8.49/month so is not bad, if not great, value (159 calls via 18185 would cost the same).
  • An orchid sounds interesting, so can I do something like this on an orchid:
    program it so that up to 6pm it uses 18185, and then use nothing (Primus Saver Option 2). But only on a weekday? Never used one, so excuse the ignorance on the device.

Also just orderd the Primus Saver Option 2 - said would take up to 15 working days.
    So now my expenditure should be £11 line rental (BT option 1) + any daytime calls made + mobiles.
    In which case if the total above exceeds £18 then a BT option 3 would be better/with the least amount of hassle. Also BT Together Option 3 is a unlimited at all times package right?

Thanks for the quick response.

Also when ordering the Primus Option Saver 2, I forgot to ask them about the penny mobile thing you mentioned - do you have any further details? might be good for it to be on your 6 steps forum for other users as well.
  • Also a general question - what are peoples average monthly home phone bills coming to? Feel free to break it down as line rental, call plans+ extra.
    E.g. mine was £11 line rental+£17 call charges. Pretty shocking so far I think...
    Next month hope to make it £11+£5 max.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support