MSE News: Virgin Media customers to be hit with 5.9% price rise from February

in Phones & TV
255 replies 44K views

Replies

• lhead123lhead123 Forumite
    300 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Ugh we get horrendous digital signal and aren't allowed a sky dish on our building so virgin is our only option. We are still on the XL bundle with 60mb broadband. Any idea if that price will go up? They keep wanting to switch us to the Kahuna bundle but we are out of contract and it would start a new 12 month contract if we change anything. We want to move in the next year and don't want to have to pay an exit fee, hence the desire to stay out of contract...
    Debt FREE thanks to YNAB
  • edited 30 November 2014 at 10:12PM
    SquirrelNutsSquirrelNuts Forumite
    131 Posts
    edited 30 November 2014 at 10:12PM
    I phoned retentions again.

Best deal they could offer for TV XL, BB 50mb, Phone M and line rental was £53 a month on a new 12 month contract.

So I gave them notice and am now going with BT and Sky

BT is £26.99 a month for Phone line rental & free weekends, U/L Fibre Infinity 1 and BT Sport on a 12 month contract (£100 sainsbury voucher and hopefully £151 topcashback too)

Sky is £14 a month for Variety pack on a 12 month contract (50% off for 12months deal using the code 5KYBET). I also went through topcashback, although not expecting too much as I manually entered the discount code myself.

So... a new monthly amount £40.99 on 12 month contract for pretty much an identical package... result!
    LBM - Nov 2014 DMP Started - Feb 2015: £37,351
    Updated 14/06/15: Balance Now £35,907 DFD: Mar 2024
    3.86% paid off. 14/15 Creditors remaining
  • inbound retentions are no longer empowered to offer good deals. you can get a few quid off but not enough to be competitive.

VM will lose a fair few customers who make other arrangements before outbound retentions are able to table a sensible offer.

once you've signed with another provider then that is binding
  • edited 1 December 2014 at 12:47PM
    deaglecatdeaglecat Forumite
    88 Posts
    edited 1 December 2014 at 12:47PM
    Currently pay about £52 for 20mb BB, L TV and M phone. I have the original Telewest box and my increase is going to be nearly £5.

Used the online chat option to cancel today. Was offered 50mb BB, M+TV and free weekend calls for £40.99 increasing to £43.99 or 50mb BB, M TV and free weekend calls for £29.99 increasing to £32.99 - both with a Tivo box.

I have continued with my cancellation as I can get Sky Original with Unlimited BB for £33.65 for 6 months and then £40.44 - but with that I can get £110 cashback through quidco and £100 voucher.

What would people choose between the deals I've been offered - Sky or Virgin?

I'm hoping retentions might offer me something better but would like opinions on both offers.

the original VM deal is poor, the new one is better.

for the sky deal try the 5kybet code mentioned and see if it improves the price (12m half price).
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    deaglecat wrote: »
    inbound retentions are no longer empowered to offer good deals. you can get a few quid off but not enough to be competitive.

VM will lose a fair few customers who make other arrangements before outbound retentions are able to table a sensible offer.
    binding

Interesting. Where did that come from ?
  • So, as I've just taken out an 18 month contract. How can they change the price, when it was that which swayed my decision?

Prices should be fixed until the end of the contact period, otherwise it's not fair
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Trunk_z wrote: »
    Prices should be fixed until the end of the contact period, otherwise it's not fair
    Prices are not fixed. Nor is this "unfair". The reduction percentage over the normal price remains the same. You also are entitled to leave without penalty if the price increases.
  • How are you guys getting to chat to them on live chat about whether your price is going up and what they can offer you? Whenever I go on live chat they just say they can only deal with new customer sales and existing customers have to phone them... Is it only available at certain times?
    Mother, wife, scientist, analyst.
  • A word of warning for anybody who has paid upfront via the line rental saver deal. We paid a lump sum upfront and now pay £5.50 a month for our internet and phone, this now going up to £9.14 a month following the recent rises from 1st February 2015. This works out a percentage rise of nearly 65%, when i enquired about this and possible early cancelation i was told that i can cancel but i would not be entitled to any refund of the unused upfront payment. Would anyone know if this is right? because if you cancel you will lose money that you have paid upfront.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My BB + phone is currently £31.74/month.
    I've received a letter saying it's going up by £3.84/month.
    That's 12%.
    It's coming at the same time as my BB is due to increase from 60 to 100 Mb, but I might downgrade to the 50 Mb option instead, which is a fiver cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides