MSE News: Virgin Media customers to be hit with 5.9% price rise from February

in Phones & TV
255 replies 44K views

Replies

• ok... answered my own question by giving retentions a call...

Current price is £54.99, new price for me will be £59.68 so an increase of £4.69 (8.5%).

Best offer given was for an upgrade to my broadband from 50mb to 150mb and the new price will be £58.49 on a new 12 month contract, so £3.50 more a month (6.4%).

Alternatively, I was told that I can leave penalty free (i am 6 months into an 18 month contract).

Has anybody been offered a better price for a similar package?
    LBM - Nov 2014 DMP Started - Feb 2015: £37,351
    Updated 14/06/15: Balance Now £35,907 DFD: Mar 2024
    3.86% paid off. 14/15 Creditors remaining
  • How did you all find out your new prices, did you have to phone in for them?

I joined Virgin on a bundle package in around May - BB 50mb, TV XL, Phone M, single Tivo box which is currently £54.99 including line rental.

I havent had any emails or letters, and because this isnt one of the newly named bundles, have I been spared a price increase I wonder?

it sounds like you're paying a lot.
    i get BB 50mb, TV M, Phone M, Tivo for £29 currently....
    seems like you're paing £26 for XL tv package - that seems a lot to me.
  • edited 28 November 2014 at 2:45PM
    cxxrcxxr Forumite
    45 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 28 November 2014 at 2:45PM
    I have been with VM for about 3 years now.

Currently I have their 120mb BB and Phone @ £24.25 (including £5 Loyalty)+ LRA (£120pa) @ £10 Total = £34.25 pm effectively.

I got a letter stating my Feb 2015 price rise was £3.54 or something. My LRA ends on 17th Dec 2014. LRA is now £144.

I called up today and was offered this deal:

12 Months renewal (including price hikes):

152MB BB @ £25pm including new Superhub (and £6 loyalty discount)
    LRA @ £144 - effectively £12pm
    Total = £37

So considering the price hikes, im paying about £2.75 more per month.
    Is this a good deal?

P.S I was offered 100mb bb downgrade for £17.50 for 12 months including loyalty discount.
  • We are on the top package with everything, highest BB speed, landline, 1 tivo box and 2 other boxes and our rental is £124 a month. How are you all getting so much better deals?
  • edited 28 November 2014 at 4:30PM
    Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2014 at 4:30PM
    I have Broadband and Phone M (I don't have a home phone), it was cheaper.

Aug, Sept, Oct bill - £26.14
    Nov - £30.41, I was like whoa! Time to cancel the landline and go Broadband only.
    Dec - £34.14! :eek: (I forgot to phone earlier, now I am).

The Broadband alone is £28.50, but with a phone M it's £17.50 (not inc line rental). So is this punishment for not having a line rental :mad:

EDIT: Just a few calculations with Gocompare and then on Plusnet for 40Mb:-

First 6 months £95.70 total as BB is free.
    Total for next 12 months is £371.40 total

= £467.10 total of 18 months contract

Over 18 months = £25.95 a month

Least I have something to work with when I phone.
  • cxxrcxxr Forumite
    45 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    We are on the top package with everything, highest BB speed, landline, 1 tivo box and 2 other boxes and our rental is £124 a month. How are you all getting so much better deals?

Before our contract ends, we always call up and make a point to them that we would cancel our contract and go with someone else, unless they can offer a better deal.

Its simple, but you do have to spend at least 30 minutes on the phone to customer retentions department. When you call customer services number, follow the prompts through account and billing, then moving house, then leaving the service. You should get connected to someone in the UK and they have a system where they can offer a loyalty discount etc.. You dont have to accept their offer and still give in your notice, but you should always be able to call back before your notice runs out and take them up if they offer you something.
  • cxxr wrote: »
    Before our contract ends, we always call up and make a point to them that we would cancel our contract and go with someone else, unless they can offer a better deal.

Its simple, but you do have to spend at least 30 minutes on the phone to customer retentions department. When you call customer services number, follow the prompts through account and billing, then moving house, then leaving the service. You should get connected to someone in the UK and they have a system where they can offer a loyalty discount etc.. You dont have to accept their offer and still give in your notice, but you should always be able to call back before your notice runs out and take them up if they offer you something.

So what should I expect to pay for all of the services I am getting?
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    cjdavies wrote: »
    I have Broadband and Phone M (I don't have a home phone), it was cheaper.

Aug, Sept, Oct bill - £26.14
    Nov - £30.41, I was like whoa! Time to cancel the landline and go Broadband only.
    Dec - £34.14! :eek: (I forgot to phone earlier, now I am).

The Broadband alone is £28.50, but with a phone M it's £17.50 (not inc line rental). So is this punishment for not having a line rental :mad:

EDIT: Just a few calculations with Gocompare and then on Plusnet for 40Mb:-

First 6 months £95.70 total as BB is free.
    Total for next 12 months is £371.40 total

= £467.10 total of 18 months contract

Over 18 months = £25.95 a month

Least I have something to work with when I phone.

Just a web chat with them, and posted the above, their response was:

That's great, Ok I can a discount has expired on your package, I can offer you M telephone and 50mb at £24.49 which is based one the 1st of February price 2015 as we are having a price rise and you will pay £21.49 from today until the 1st of February 2015 on a new 12 month contract?
    Got me thinking, if I phoned and went to straight to retentions, would I have got a better price? :cry:
  • I have given them 1 month notice and said im not happy with this price rise so i want out.
    Was simply wasting my money. now time to save some money in 2015 :)
    What happens if you push this button?
  • Currently pay about £52 for 20mb BB, L TV and M phone. I have the original Telewest box and my increase is going to be nearly £5.

Used the online chat option to cancel today. Was offered 50mb BB, M+TV and free weekend calls for £40.99 increasing to £43.99 or 50mb BB, M TV and free weekend calls for £29.99 increasing to £32.99 - both with a Tivo box.

I have continued with my cancellation as I can get Sky Original with Unlimited BB for £33.65 for 6 months and then £40.44 - but with that I can get £110 cashback through quidco and £100 voucher.

What would people choose between the deals I've been offered - Sky or Virgin?

I'm hoping retentions might offer me something better but would like opinions on both offers.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS