MSE News: Virgin Media customers to be hit with 5.9% price rise from February

in Phones & TV
255 replies 44K views

Replies

• MrSilk wrote: »
    This is a major blow for me, I currently pay £65.99 a month for Tivo XL, Additional VHD box, and 100MB Broadband. I also have my mobile contact with them, if I leave Virgin Media for my BB/TV, I'll loose the discount on my mobile plan. :(

We had a similar package with XL phone and were paying £70 a month.
    Rung up to tell them Sky have offered me 1/2 price TV (all movies/sports etc) for £35 for 12 months (on a 12 month contract)
    Would of kept my broadband/phone with Virgin so would of been about £80 all in for everything.

Virgin have now offered me EVERYTHING - including the 152mb broadband for £80 and 6 months free Netflix , which we were paying £6 towards for the kids
  • facadefacade Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have broadband + 'phone (on linesaver) and with basic TV it is 50p cheaper than without, because of a discount for all 3 services ;)

I can't see the TV end lasting TBH, as if you have an aerial, you can get freeview that matches their basic package, then with a samsung smart TV/bluray you get all the catch-up services straight to your TV via broadband for free.

The only business left will be pay-per view streaming, so broadband prices will have to go up to keep them in the black.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • edited 22 November 2014 at 12:32PM
    MercenaryMercenary Forumite
    625 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 22 November 2014 at 12:32PM
    You all must be mad anyway. Free view costs only the price of a licence. You lot but a licence and then pay Virgin per month to watch repeats and claptrap.

What makes you so sure that we all watch rubbish on TV?
    Those of us who use the Internet need to pay for it, you know. There are 4 of us here constantly using the Internet on computers and other devices.

.....anyway....... back to the subject at hand

We pay £24 for 100Mb BB + the advance Line Rental for the LL (rarely ever used) with the free extremely basic TV package which was standard years ago.
    Although I can't see why our letter states an increase of £3.84 on our small monthly DD :eek: That's more than 5.9% isn't it? :(

What day & times give you more chance to speak to UK Customer Services?
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damm. Just paid my line rental saver. (I could cancel it)
    I'm not sure this is good as I got it for £144 or bad as I have no negotiation rights
  • facadefacade Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    £144 is £12 a month, it won't go up for 12 months, so you get the 'phone line a lot cheaper than anyone else can offer, all these £10 a month deals are plus a 'phone line: usually £15-£17

Obviously you can't use a Virgin line with a BT deal, but where else can you get 100Mb broadband anyway?
    Untill BT lay fibres for infinity, we are stuck with Virgin.

Everybody else will/has raised their prices anyway, by some sort of co-incidence ;).

What we are moaning about - I think :D is the letters we are getting have huge increases on, way way way above 6%, and there is no breakdown as to how this can be.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• I_have_spokenI_have_spoken
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Disgusting.

I might have been OK with the increase, but my 'up to' 50mb broadband has gone all to hell in the last couple of week so this is the last straw.
  • I'm due to go onto the Big Kahuna bundle next week after switching from Sky. Will I also have to pay the increase from February? Sky have offered me half price TV for 12 Months to stay with them.
  • facadefacade Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    foo78 wrote: »
    I'm due to go onto the Big Kahuna bundle next week after switching from Sky. Will I also have to pay the increase from February? Sky have offered me half price TV for 12 Months to stay with them.

Yes the increase affects everything except Line Rental Saver (pre-paid) and a few "special price" deals that were done specifically at a fixed price for a short term.

You can cancel your contract without penalty though.

• Just spoke to these parasites. My bill is going up from £25 to £35!!! !!!!!!!

Had shocking service from them and this was the excuse I was looking for to get rid.
    However when I advised them I wanted to cancel was told to ring back tomorrow and that I willhave to pay £190ish to pay up the rest of my contract??! ��
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well do the maths. No point loosing £190 for no reason. May as well get some use out if them until the contracts up
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides