MSE News: Ofgem orders Scottish Power to shape up or stop selling

in Energy
80 replies 9K views

Replies

• edited 18 November 2014 at 4:33PM
    patannepatanne Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    edited 18 November 2014 at 4:33PM
    I've had a problem all year that I haven't come across anywhere else. My fixed rate finished at the beginning of the year at the same time as they were doing some changes to their IT. I changed to a new fixed rate & next time I looked at my account on line I had 2 accounts registered to me, both the same account number & absolutely identical.

I've been worried all year that they were going to take the DD twice, although they never did. I rang them several times to try to sort it, and was greeted by a very unenthusiastic "sure we'll do that". It never happened, then I used the contact us email several times and the most I got from that is we'll let you know in 5 days!

Finally looked at my account at the end of October to discover that they were about to refund all the credit and so I rang. Couldn't stop the repayment, but spoke to a lovely lady (in Wrexham I think), who has moved me to a cheaper tariff as I requested & I explained to her my problem re the accounts & she could see what I meant!! Next morning it was sorted. A pleasure to speak to and capable too! My next problem of course will be that they have refunded all the credit because they have changed my end of year from April to November and reduced my DD by £45, which is totally insane.

The only reason I can see for these changes is that there is no penalty for leaving early on the new tariff so the payment changes are bound to leave me owing quite a lot of money at the end of winter - too much to be able to move maybe? So am I right, cynical or paranoid?
  • My key for electric doesnt work and cant get through to scottish power I only have 1.00 in meter I have two small children one with autism I finally got through after 24 hours off trying I got put through to wrong department she told me id get an hour call back ghis was at 5 pm I got a call back at 9.45 pm to be told id need to go to a shop miles away hour after she gave me code by this time the shop would be closed one off the worst companys ive dealt with im still sitting waiting for power to go out.
  • lstar337lstar337 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    laura65988 wrote: »
    My key for electric doesnt work and cant get through to scottish power I only have 1.00 in meter I have two small children one with autism I finally got through after 24 hours off trying I got put through to wrong department she told me id get an hour call back ghis was at 5 pm I got a call back at 9.45 pm to be told id need to go to a shop miles away hour after she gave me code by this time the shop would be closed one off the worst companys ive dealt with im still sitting waiting for power to go out.
    Pretty sure there is an emergency number for these situations. They will send an engineer out to top up the meter for you.
  • When SP switched to the new system they also switched, on their computer, my meter readings from metric to imperial. this has mean that, according to them, I use 3 times as much gas as i do. They now haveover £500 of mine on account which they are refusing to give back. This makes my blood boil, they dont know my situation and have no idea whether I desperatly need that money to feed my children or pay my mortgage (luckily for me I dont). I have recently changed to Sainsburys/British Gas via MSE and wonder if I will ever get any of the money back. The whole thing is a shambles and the fact that they have no time scales to rectify the computer problems and have admitted this to OFGEM smacks of double standards. if I owed them £500 they would be banging down my door by now.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For anyone that needs to phone them, I suggest try at 8 am.

I did that at 0801 yesterday, and the whole call was 4 and a half minutes, including selecting menu numbers, a slight wait announced in advance as 1 to 3 minutes, and a conversation confirming details about 2 subjects.
  • Florence6Florence6 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I am sorry there have been all these problems but I would like to say I have been a customer of theirs for many years. Yes on occasions there have been delays waiting for the telephone to be answered and now and again there has been the odd hiccup but on the whole I have found helpfulness on the phone and by reading my meter on a monthly basis have kept up with my account. As a result of receiving e-mails from company's such as Martins Energy Club and USwitch I am able to compare energy price changes easily. Recently however when I have entered my monthly energy readings, I noticed that there has been a noticeable change in their website . I have been offered checks to make sure I am on their cheapest tariff and can change easily from one tariff to another. Being on their latest fixed tariff I am not bound to pay exit fees. It was easy to look at their individual tariff prices and compare individual energy prices with those newly offered against what you were currently paying. Being an existing customer they already had my usage details and where able to adjust my monthly direct debit accordingly. I find their website informative and are certainly in no hurry to change to another company.
  • noodle_doodlenoodle_doodle Forumite
    375 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    patanne wrote: »
    I've had a problem all year that I haven't come across anywhere else... I had 2 accounts registered to me, both the same account number & absolutely identical.

...My next problem of course will be that they have refunded all the credit because they have changed my end of year from April to November and reduced my DD by £45, which is totally insane.

The only reason I can see for these changes is that there is no penalty for leaving early on the new tariff so the payment changes are bound to leave me owing quite a lot of money at the end of winter - too much to be able to move maybe? So am I right, cynical or paranoid?

They just don't know what they're doing. Why are they refunding me my entire credit balance at the end of november as well? I dunno.

Also, I live in a house but according to them I live in a flat :-)

I moved from a flat to a house, and when I re-registered with them at a new address they've obviously looked up my old details and over-written them with my new address - except where I left fields blank or N/A (like flat number) for my new address the old values have been kept and merged into my new address :-)

So my billing address reads Flat 3f1, *my number my road* - it still arrives I suppose. I mean that's really simple data entry stuff they're getting wrong. I've told them but it hasn't changed, they're probably scared to touch it.
  • edited 19 November 2014 at 7:09PM
    SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 November 2014 at 7:09PM
    Just had a call from Energy Ombudsman Services (EOS).

The EOS have upheld my complaint about Scottish Power. Scottish Power accept that their increase of my direct debit was not at my request, despite them claiming at the time that I had requested it. Scottish Power are also being asked to apologise for ignoring my written communications, not setting up my account and not being contactable by phone.

My account is I'm told one of many that is affected by the Scottish Power 'billing block', that is they are unable to set up the account or finalise my account.

It has been recommended that Scottish Power refund the credit on my account within 28 days, given I've now escaped to EDF, if they don't they will need to provide an update as to what is happening.

I am being offered a £75 goodwill payment.

It seems that if Scottish Power don't refund my credit within 28 days, then provided they give me an update (and then another update 28 days after that and so on) they can argue that they have met the Ombudsman's recommendations without ever refunding the credit on my account. However the EOS have assured me that if they don't refund the credit within 28 days then that information collated with that of other cases will be given to OFGEM.

I have decided to accept the offer in full and final settlement.

Have been impressed by EOS's handling of this. Initially they set up two complaint references for my case which meant they were asking for everything twice and it was starting to get very silly! But when they realised that was what had happened they were very efficient about putting things back on track. And they phoned me to run through their decision today, which is much more consumer friendly than just writing.

So my advice to all those who are having problems with Scottish Power is to put a complaint in writing to them and take the matter to the EOS when it is not resolved in 8 weeks.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • Not only have we had problems from Scottish Power as a supplier - over billing us for months and now refusing to repay the credit they hold, but they have not paid out for damage done to our land when erecting new telegraph poles and after we had a fire caused by faulty wiring on their side of the meter the are refusing to payout to replace all the electrical equipment which has had to be replaced.
    We have written to them - repeatedly - tried to ring but they never answer the phone, tried to request call backs - but they never do even tried to report them to the ombudsman but even that seems to have fallen on deaf ears as we have had no request from them to forward the correspondence we hold.
    We would welcome any ideas anyone may have about getting a reply for all of our problems. Scottish Power seem to have left the planet
  • ecoeco Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I switched in December 2013, they closed my electricity account straight away, but said they hadn't received the notification to close the gas account. I finally with the help of the ombudsman got my account closed in September.
    The ombudsman then said they would make SP send me a goodwill gesture, I received a letter from SP dated 29th October saying they had been notified by the ombudsman to pay me a goodwill gesture for the poor customer service, I contacted the ombudsman last week to say I still hadn't received it, they have contacted them to get it sorted, but I am still waiting. I won't stop till I get it.

They are truly incompetent, never again will I use SP, nearly a year to close an account and get a goodwill gesture, and the only thing getting me through is knowing I wasn't on my own.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES