MSE News: Ofgem orders Scottish Power to shape up or stop selling

in Energy
80 replies 9K views

Replies

• patannepatanne Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    If you have online access to your account you can now change the value of your direct debit. Don't reduce it by too much though or they will just put it back up again.
  • edited 24 November 2014 at 1:19PM
    oaprutoaprut Forumite
    63 Posts
    edited 24 November 2014 at 1:19PM
    I have tried doing that but site just keeps telling me to put in latest meter readings (which I have done) and they will get back to me! As their emails say 'we will contact you within 5 days and the first was end of October, I can only think 'a day' is a different time period north of the border or they are total liars and totally useless! How much of their customer's money do they have on deposit and how much does that earn them?
  • MSE_Helen wrote: »
    Scottish Power is facing a ban on sales activity unless it must meet tough targets Ofgem has set...

Scottish Power appears to come out best value for fixed price to January 2016 but I can't reconcile the figures I have been given in a quote based on electricity only annual usage 4919 kwh x 10.793p = £530.91 plus 20.55 fixed charge per day x 365 =£75 total = £605.91 plus VAT @ 5% = £636.21. This compares with the tariff quoted by my existing supplier Ovo costing £669.54 inclusive of VAT a difference of £33.33 rather than the £71 quoted by your Cheap Energy Club. The Ovo tariff is fixed for a year and rates are 27.4p for the standing charge and 10.93 per kwh.

Last time I accepted a Scottish Power quote by a comparison site the terms given to me were based on a Scottish Power increase immediately after I had accepted the quote. I had quite a job cancelling it. Hence my reluctance to tangle with them again.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's because the OVO tariff is fixed for a year - November 2014 to November 2015 whereas the SP tariff carries on until Jan 2016.
    The comparison sites usually calculate your savings based on you being transferred to your existing suppliers variable tariff at the end of the fixed period so it's probably added a month or so of OVO's variable tariff to take you through to Jan 2016.

That's why you have to do your own sums - Comparison sites make assumptions that energy consumption is averaged over the year and that you'll do nothing when your present fix expires.

Based on that, the comp sites reckon I can save nearly £350 if I swap now. However as I'll use about 70% of my annual energy consumption between now and April when my present fix ends and I'll swap to another deal when it does, I suspect I will save less than £30 and have to pay £30 in exit fees from my present supplier. So I'm staying put
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    17.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    matelodave wrote: »
    Perhaps it's because the OVO tariff is fixed for a year - November 2014 to November 2015 whereas the SP tariff carries on until Jan 2016.
    The comparison sites usually calculate your savings based on you being transferred to your existing suppliers variable tariff at the end of the fixed period so it's probably added a month or so of OVO's variable tariff to take you through to Jan 2016.

That's why you have to do your own sums - Comparison sites make assumptions that energy consumption is averaged over the year and that you'll do nothing when your present fix expires.

Based on that, the comp sites reckon I can save nearly £350 if I swap now. However as I'll use about 70% of my annual energy consumption between now and April when my present fix ends and I'll swap to another deal when it does, I suspect I will save less than £30 and have to pay £30 in exit fees from my present supplier. So I'm staying put
    On a similar note, I'm on the SP Nov 2015 tariff and the comparison sites say the Jan 2016 tariff is cheaper. Manual calculation based on my average usage confirms this is correct.

But the Jan 2016 has higher unit costs and lower standing charge. So although the Jan 2016 tariff is cheaper for my average usage, on my winter usage it's more expensive! So I'll be sticking with the Nov 2015 tariff till the spring.

So watch out for this as well. Just because a tariff is cheaper based on your average usage, it may be more expensive in the winter (or summer).
  • patanne wrote: »
    If you have online access to your account you can now change the value of your direct debit. Don't reduce it by too much though or they will just put it back up again.

Are you sure? I thought that the whole point of a Direct Debit Instruction was that the amount is controlled by the payee although you as the customer always have the power to cancel, not wise if you owe money though.
  • patannepatanne Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    I am not totally sure of my facts here, but I am fairly sure that if you CANCEL your DD you go against the t & cs of the fix and they put you on the standard, so not a good idea.
  • NickolaiNickolai Forumite
    33 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    We have our own little horror story.

We switched in January and our account was in credit, then a mystery bill appeared on line apparently meaning we owed them £40+. There was no option to view the bill online , they've never been able to produce a paper copy and we've had a range of excuses over the last ten months from incorrect final reads to IT system issues. None of this actually stopped them sending their range of threatening reminders/final notices/collection agency letters.

Eventually we took it to Ofgem who having no luck themselves in getting Scottish Power to produce any evidence to back up their charge (The best they got was a phone conversation which from reading between the lines Scottish Power tried to blag it). Pretty much ruled in our favour and gave Scottish Power 28 days from us accepting the Ofgem ruling to meet a number of points, letter of apology confirming no effect on our credit rating, goodwill payment, correcting the account etc.

Those 28 days were up yesterday and Scottish Power haven't done a thing. Back to Ofgem we go.

Avoid this company like the plague.
  • edited 28 November 2014 at 3:34PM
    oaprutoaprut Forumite
    63 Posts
    edited 28 November 2014 at 3:34PM
    I don't owe them money, quite the reverse; my monthly direct debt is approx. £15 less than my quarterly bill, so I'm paying nearly 3 times the amount I should. Only replies from SP are 'sorry how can we help' - absolutely nothing then happens or 'we will contact you within 5 days' again, don't hold your breathe! No incentive for them to sort things out; they have my money, on loan, interest free. Thieves and robbers used to be 'hanged by the neck etc' I bet that would make them return their ill gotten gains!
    No, I'm not really in favour of capital punishment but there should be some redress for their millions of unhappy customers.
  • Snowman said: "my advice to all those who are having problems with Scottish Power is to put a complaint in writing to them".

What is the best postal address (and/or email address) to use when submitting a formal complaint?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides