MSE News: Ofgem orders Scottish Power to shape up or stop selling

in Energy
80 replies 9K views

Replies

• lisa110rrylisa110rry Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother with the address on your bill...I wrote to them and didn't receive the courtesy of a response...

(Though that address could be thought of as a first step, be aware you will most likely have to escalate.)
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One faint voice with positive points:

I just phoned Scottish Power, and was speaking to someone within 2 and a half minutes from the start of the call. This was a bit of a surprise, as the announcement had predicted a wait of 8 to 13 minutes.

I phoned a couple of weeks ago, and the call queue wait was under a minute. This was at 8.01 am.
  • edited 13 December 2014 at 7:23AM
    John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 December 2014 at 7:23AM
    To test how bad they are ring Scottish Power free from a landline on 0800 0270072, hold for further options and then press 4. Present Q time is about 50 minutes.
    redux wrote: »
    One faint voice with positive points:

I just phoned Scottish Power, and was speaking to someone within 2 and a half minutes from the start of the call. This was a bit of a surprise, as the announcement had predicted a wait of 8 to 13 minutes.

I phoned a couple of weeks ago, and the call queue wait was under a minute. This was at 8.01 am.

To redress the balance, I too needed to phone Scottish Power today having discovered that they had arbitrarily decided to stop collecting their £100 a month direct debit, some months ago. [I had already corrected their wildly over estimated meter readings, thinking these were the reason I was sinking further into debt on the account.]

My on-line account had been frozen and thus refused to accept any further attempt to correct things myself.

Thank heavens for an 0800 customer service line as four attempts to use it gave 4 similar results, assuming that one can get through to Scottish Power at all. For the sake of clarity let me call the customer "the Punter", the computerised/automated messages "the Dalek" and the customer services operative as "the Muppet".

Dalek: We have sent out several incorrect statements and will be replacing these, there is no need to report this problem
    Telephone calls about incorrect billing will be made later today
    Most enquiries can be handled on our wonderful web site..............
    Punter. [mutters through gritted teeth - why the hell do you think I am hanging on and we afre already about a minute into this call]

Dalek Here are your options

Are you phoning from the property with the meter 1 or 2

Punter 1

Dalek one

Dalek Here are your options - 1 2 3 meter balance checks moving etc

Dalek Four = talk to a muppet

Punter 4

clunk click clunk pause

Punter Hello hello

click - cut off

I tried a few variations, including pretending to move, so heavens knows what that might have done to my account but in no way could I find intelligent life.

Come 20:40 I thought I would give it another try expecting to be on the dog and bone for no more than 20 minutes.

Same mess as above but

20:42 Punter 4 and I am in the Q

21:01 Punter still in the Q and fed up listening to the Dalek interrupting the loop of pop songs with meaningless messages.

So tried to book a call back for the nest day: 09:00 [not available] 10:00 [not available]
    11:00 [not available] 12::00 [not available]

Dalek You have been issued the nearest available option of 11:45

At this point I had a final sing along with the theme tune for an energy supplier:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6LQCGg8Lw
    Nice piece of irony ?
    i'm gonna pick up the pieces, and build a lego house

Well blow me down at this point a real human answered the call.

I will reserve judgement on this person forced to try to defend the indefensible and play the role of Muppet..

However let me just say that she did not sound Scottish and English was not her mother tongue.
    We had a half an hour struggle with Muppet's controlling Dalek, which was presumably suggesting strategies to her while she asked me to hold on.
    Several times I had to repeat the mantra "I do not have a problem, you have a problem, I owe you hundreds of pounds - I would like to pay you some money - as soon as you can sort out your problems on this account"

Eventually we reached an agreement that we would proceed one step at a time and she would accept my day and night time electricity meter readings now and the Dalek will prepare an invoice within 3 working days and I will pay it. .

Watch this space.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you complain that they are making things long-winded!

That post could be a lot shorter. We don't really need a transcript of the IVR system, for instance, and it is hardly fatuous as 2 of the options are enter your meter readings and make a payment.

And you didn't actually mention how long it took to answer. If it was too long, try calling at 8 am as I suggested.
  • Scottish Power set my dd at £138/month, my quarterly bill is appr £145. Doesn't take maths genius to realise that my 'in credit' balance just keeps getting bigger. I have tired phoning, emailing and Facebook. They all say 'sorry, we will deal with this problem within 5 working days'. As I have been waiting since October I have no faith in them whatsoever.
    I have tried on line to lower dd by, as requested, putting in up to date meter readings - no action from SP. I tried changing my tariff, saying I am moving and that I am going to another supplier. Nothing! I would really like to have this £600-£700 they owe me in time for Christmas but obviously isn't going to happen. I cannot afford to keep lending them this money each month.
    I know what I would like to do to the board of directors but unfortunately it is illegal!
  • edited 18 December 2014 at 5:13AM
    8.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 December 2014 at 5:13AM
    redux wrote: »
    And you complain that they are making things long-winded!

That post could be a lot shorter. We don't really need a transcript of the IVR system, for instance, and it is hardly fatuous as 2 of the options are enter your meter readings and make a payment.

And you didn't actually mention how long it took to answer. If it was too long, try calling at 8 am as I suggested.

If you knew how the system worked, you would realise that once a guestimated quarterly bill has not been paid, it is impossible to enter meter readings on line - do you really think I wasted hours of my life on the phone if that was the solution to the mess.

I see that "Which?" had a go at the regulator yesterday by saying when ever they phone Scottish Power it takes an average of 30 minutes to get a reply on the so called help lines and compares this time to the rate of response on the sales lines for new accounts.

http://www.which.co.uk/energy/saving-money/reviews-ns/energy-companies-reviewed/scottish-power/
    Eventually we reached an agreement that we would proceed one step at a time and she would accept my day and night time electricity meter readings now and the Dalek will prepare an invoice within 3 working days and I will pay it. .

Watch this space.

Monday + Tuesday + Wednesday is that three working days ?

What appears to have been done ?

Sweet FA !

I don't want to name the muppet - it is almost certainly not her fault.

Anyone got the name and email address of the managing director in Spain ?
  • Ignacio S. Galan
    Plaza Euskadi, 5
    48009 Bilbao
    SPAIN

[email protected]

For crying out loud try and be concise though.
  • edited 18 December 2014 at 1:03PM
    8.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 December 2014 at 1:03PM

Dalek You have been issued the nearest available option of 11:45

At this point I had a final sing along with the theme tune for an energy supplier:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6LQCGg8Lw
    Nice piece of irony ?
    i'm gonna pick up the pieces, and build a lego house

Well blow me down at this point a real human answered the call.

Guess what ? I have had not one but two telephone calls from a Dalek.

The Dalek was responding to the call back appointment I made for last Saturday morning and hoped I had cancelled with the Muppet. Unfortunately I was out shopping and so both calls went through to the 1581 voicemail service. The Dalek did not say who she was, but her Scottish accent gave the game away, as did the press button x to cancel this call back or y to proceed or z to rebook.

So Punter logged into his account and tried to obtain a call back as soon as possible. When Punter had worked forward through Friday and Saturday in 15 minute jumps the Dalek continued to say each time slot was not available and also started saying it did not reco:eek:gnise the phone number.

I gave up the struggle and more in hope than expectation tried the 0800 number and after a couple of tries listening to the suggestions that the web site solved all problems - I got through to the help line.
    Apparently there was a glitch on my account and if I come back next week all will be well.
    I protested that was not soon enough; apparently if I log in tomorrow all will be corrected?!

Watch this space.
  • John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well something has happened my outstanding balance has been updated and reduced BUT I now have three unpaid and invisible outstanding invoices.
    So I have no proof of what figures and rates have been used.
    I bet they have zapped my direct debit discount too.
    In theory the invoice(s) will appear in three days time - I bet it is not there when I log on Christmas morning ?
  • edited 2 January 2015 at 2:40AM
    Alison1965Alison1965 Forumite
    8 Posts
    edited 2 January 2015 at 2:40AM
    I was a Scottish power [SP] customer for 6 years without issues, until I moved in September. Moving to a social housing tenancy I had to use the company they had in place to have supplies 'turned on'. I have since tried to switch back to Scottish Power and have had nothing but issues, all of which I have tried to deal with via their contact us form, emails and telephone calls... summerised these include:

Having 4 electric accounts showing at my new address [one of which was the one I wanted, which has now been deleted by SP]? I now have one live account at my new address. However it is not DD monthly as I wanted... and ...

The Opening meter reading of 001280 that I supplied to them on Dec 10 [twice] and Dec 11 via message [because the web site was playing up and not registering my readings [all now show as recent activities on my account], so i know they have recieved the readings] has been entered as 000200, a figure I can only guess they plucked out of thin air!. Not only have they entered this incorrectly but they have told [I have had this confirmed by the previous supplier] my previous supplier that my opening reading was 002000, so my final bill from my previous supplier is also incorrect [I have since rectified this and within one day my revised final bill was available with my previous supplier. I have since spoke to someone in SP and they could not do anything for be and would need to "pass it to back office who will contact me within 7 - 10 days" ... Awaiting my call back for this but have checked online and now my meter reading reads 000128.

I have explained I have no red numbers and the reading I gave is the one thousand two hundred and eighty yet they still failed to get it right.

What is wrong with these people/company? I really do not understand how entering a 4 digit number can go so wrong!!

Annoyed, appauled and quite frankly P*ssed right off
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides