Holiday Nightmares!

alextexmex
alextexmex Posts: 88 Forumite
Hey all,

I'm very much stressing about this so bear with me, ill try to explain as well as I can.

About 6 months ago me,my fiance and my friend and his fiance decided to book a holiday together, we talked money, arranged the hotel we wanted and I booked the holiday as I had a substantial employers discount. I paid for the holiday in full, they paid me back for their share (£1450). I gave them a copy of the booking conformation and payment receipt and that was that.

Fast forward to last week (six weeks before the holiday), my missus got a message from my friends missus, in a rather accusatory tone, asking for a copy of the payment confirmation, and proof of the payment. We asked what happened to the copy we gave them and got no response, instead she flew off the handle saying “how can we know if its been paid, we need to see it again so I know if I can trust you”.

After a bit of heated back and forth, with her accusing me of being a a******e because we dared ask why she hasn’t got the copy we gave her, I had a word with her fella who was much more reasonable. We agreed he would give me a day to pop over and show her in the coming few days and that was that, despite me reminding them they didn’t get back to me.

Today I got a message from his missus kicking off, asking why the **** I hadn't sent her the confirmation, despite me and her fella agreeing that I would bring it over. She called me all the names under the sun, and accused me of not paying it because she talked to the travel agent and they wouldn't speak to her about the holiday citing data protection! (the account is in my name and I am the lead party member so I'm not exactly surprised and am pleased that they are on the ball).

During all this, over the past few months, I have had some health problems, having to have tests and hospital appointments due to abnormal blood tests and acute pain. I saw my consultant this morning and advised me until I have more results and tests I am not to fly for my own health, my GP has also agreed that this is the correct course of action.

I talked to the cancellation department and the travel insurance company to discuss my options and was told as it was not a pre-existing condition when Ibooked and have been advised not to travel that it a acceptable reason to cancel and have right to claim on the insurance. (Keep in mind the others have both been aware of the tests, my health problems and seen the results of such!)

Now you know the backstory, my question is....what should I do? My health is more important than the holiday and as much as it has disappointed me, I know I cannot travel. The provision of the holiday was made clear at time of booking, that as a result of the huge discount and employee discount, if the holiday is cancelled, all parties cannot go, but the insurance company said if the claim is settled, all will be paid out for all members of the travelling party.

Considering the accusations and abuse I have suffered at my friends hands and how much its driven me to distraction, I know if I tell them I'm cancelling ill get a more problems and more accusations, I have shown them the proof and even given the copies, they have lost them and now throwing problems at me, saying its not fair on them! I would say its unfair on me after the way I have been spoken to and the fact I am unwell but still trying to live my life as normally as I can.

I think my plan of action would be to cancel, send them a letter saying that its cancelled and the reasons why and a cheque for a percentage of their share of the holiday, as a good will gesture until the claim is settled and I can give the rest or until my next wages. I cant give all in one go because that is a huge sum of money in one month from my wages, but I feel at least a decent amount should prove my goodwill and end this nightmare. What do you guys and girls think?

Sorry about the long message!

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't understand why the whole party has to cancel just because you can't go, even if the others lose the staff discount.
  • It was made clear to all of us right from the start, the discount is just over 30% so I assume its to protect the revenue, I have asked if they can pay the extra and still go, but the travel agent has been emphatic and said no, even states on the booking forms.
  • I think I would take your mate out for a quiet drink and explain the situation to him; to send them a letter runs the risk of destroying the friendship (assuming that you want to salvage the situation).
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • I would prefer to salvage the relationship but he wont meet me without her present (she very much tells him what to do), and after all the names she has called me I'm not sure I can be civil for the moment.
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Your health is paramount. If these were good friends they would completely understand where things are at and why, be rallying round wanting to help and not wish to cause you any unnecessary stress.

Only have dealings with the bloke, who appears to be the more approachable and rational of this couple. Explain exactly what will be happening in regards to the insurance pay out, and agree what will be paid to them as a goodwill gesture for now.

Then only focus on yourself and getting better.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Quite a lot of your words are joined together which makes the post a little hard to read. Did something happen for them to start questioning you, presumably as friends this wouldn't just pop up out of the blue?
  • alextexmex
    alextexmex Posts: 88 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2014 at 12:24AM
    Sorry, I will edit the post, it appears the formatting on my phone has gone on holiday :eek:

As for why the questioning came about, it all started after the doctor found the abnormal results and told me they should be referring me to the hospital. It started just with snide comments about making sure I get better before holiday, and not to cause problems with her plans, the accusations only started last week, about 8 weeks after my tests and appointments started. I was open and honest with them from the start and never attempted to hide the problem and they have even seen some of the tests being done.

I am also somewhat confused of why when I left them the copies of all the booking and payment info, that seems to have been lost (but they haven't said it) and have demanded in rather unpleasant terms to have more sent, totally out of blue.

It does have to be said that she is the most prickly out of the two, whenever things don't go her why she gets difficult to deal with. A few times he has had to pull her up on the way she has spoken to me and my fianc! and others because of how harsh she can be and she just turns on the waterworks and says how everyone is being so mean to her. I say nothing in response.
  • alextexmex wrote: »
    I would prefer to salvage the relationship but he wont meet me without her present (she very much tells him what to do), and after all the names she has called me I'm not sure I can be civil for the moment.

Can't you 'ambush' him on his way home or something?

Or arrange a boys night out where the others strangely don't turn up?
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Can't you 'ambush' him on his way home or something?

Or arrange a boys night out where the others strangely don't turn up?

I think that may be a good way to deal with this matter to be honest, ill try and find out when he is in, as whenever I try to talk to him normally, she's right next to him barking down the phone, so will have to make sly enquires, sly isn't my strong point though, I'm normally too blunt and honest and cant do sneaky without being as transparent as cling film! :D
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Even if you were well enough to go, would you really want to spend two weeks with someone like her?
    It is very possible that the loud lady will not believe that you are cancelling the holiday for medical reasons and may well draw her own conclusions that you had not really booked a holiday and now she has asked for proof you are trying to cover your tracks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure