PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

July 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    GOSH !! Lots and lots of new peoples and returners. A BIG warm welcome one and all :hello:

Hi all,

How do you all menu plan? Please help :D
    xx

I have to admit that I can't and don't menu plan. I can think what to have for tomorrow but that's it. I tend to have a rough idea like

Monday - pasta meal,
    Tuesday - fish
    Wednesday - rice meal,
    Thursday - casserole
    Friday - fish
    Saturday - roast of some kind
    Sunday - egg meal

but these are all movable and interchangeable. I tend to buy whatever I see on special or offer and use. I always cook at least double and freeze and usually triple (only 2 of us most of time). I cook huge pots of mince, Bolognese and Chilli and freeze in single portions to mix and match through the month(s). hth

Sarah-Jean wrote: »
    Hiya, can I join in?

Am planning to try and hit £500 for July. I'm not entirely sure where our starting point is, as there are 9 of us plus 3 cats and a dog. But I know we've survived in the past on less than £500 so I thought for my first month of challenge I'd set a relatively easy target.
    Hey - Just wondered what you siggie meant if you don't mind me asking :)
    Smudges wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    Could you please put me down for R2500, which is about 140 pounds for the 2 of us this month.
    Thanks!
    Hey - which country you in. It's great this internet for making the world smaller eh :D

I'll see you later - hope you all have a wonderful weekend
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Sarah-Jean
    Sarah-Jean Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    lynnejk wrote: »

Hey - Just wondered what you siggie meant if you don't mind me asking :)

Lol Which part of it?
    SAHM to 5 boys and 2 girls aged 13-4
    Means I'm a stay at home mum with 5 sons and 2 daughters. Their ages are 13, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5 and 4.
    Expecting baby #8 (girl #3) in Oct/Nov 14
    Means I'm pregnant with baby number eight, who's another girl (our third daughter) and she'll be born either late October or early November due to health complications.
    Make £10 a day challenge for July - £0/£310
    Weekly Savings challenge started 30th June - £0
    Grocery challenge for July - £0/£500
    Are the various challenges I've signed up for in July!
    Make £10 a day challenges - 2014 Jul-Dec - £1911!!!
    The Ultimate Biggest Loser Challenge - Loser No. 12 = 0lbs/71lbs

DFW - [STRIKE]£15000[/STRIKE] / £7500
    MFW - [STRIKE]£182,500[/STRIKE] / £152,000
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    First spend for July 3.98 in 99p store. They have packs of gammon steaks which are really good. Two big steaks in a pack I cut these in half so will get 16 meals from these.
    Slimming World at target
  • homemademama
    Options
    Can I join for the July challenge please?

My budget is £400

It's actually quite high for me but I have a new freezer being delivered and want to try and make a bunch of meals for 6 people in advance to freeze. That amount will include pet food, toiletries and cleaning stuff.

Thanks
    Highest debt: £25,702.08 :( (estimated) DFD 29th August 2018 Paid £35.25
    September Squirrels #27: debt paid £35.25/£500 ~ SFD 0/15 ~ Birthdays 0/£50 ~ Saved 0/£50 ~ Food £25.68/£250 ~ Food Bank 0/5 ~ Exercise 2/15 ~ Reflection 1/15
    Weight Loss: 0/56lbs
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 647 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Meg72, that's a good buy. I didn't know that the 99p stores did fresh meat. I will have to check our local stores.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    First shop of the month/challenge done... £41.08p, significantly less than the £50 budget I had set! :j

Particularly as the shop included lots of non-food items like washing powder, shampoo etc... Hoping for a fair few NSD's now!

Menu plan is also done for the week... looks something like this:

Monday: Vegetable & Lentil Tagine with spiced cous cous
    Tuesday: Quorn spaghetti bolognese
    Wednesday: Baked potatoes with beans & cheese
    Thursday: Sausage & mixed bean casserole
    Friday: Chicken curry & rice
    Saturday: Tuna pasta bake

Also going to bake some cakes & scones later for the children and make some carrot & lentil soup with some of the veg I have lurking in the fridge, maybe to freeze for next week :A

Very productive day so far, very happy! :D
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am in for July at £250

I have done 3 weeks of July already I think (although I got myself muddled so I need to double check myself)!
    I know already I will be over budget as I did a big top up shop with the Aldi voucher last week and I also did a drop in to the big cheap chicken place too and topped the freezer up.

Well done to all those under and meeting budgets.
    I came under for June but I am going to double check my receipts as I am wondering if I mixed a week up :o
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £8.62 on fruit, milk and decaff tea bags this morning in Mr S. I now have £48.38 to last me until 30th July. We are away on holiday for 9 nights and I stocked up last week so only need bits of fresh stuff for the rest of the month (famous last words;)).

I have enjoyed reading your meal plans so here is mine:

M - Turkey, bacon and stuffing rolls, veg and roasts & apple crumble
    T - Veggie chilli
    W - Burgers, wedges and corn on the cob
    Th - Chicken curry and rice
    F - Pasta bake
    Sa - Pasta
    Su - Gammon, potato dauphonise and lots of veg

Friday and Saturday are pasta as we have a long distance walk on Saturday so are carb loading/recovering:rotfl:

I don't usually make a pudding but we have some dodgy apples so will use them up and its DS favourite.

I also need to make some egg mayo an a lemon cake today for lunches.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    well its a NSM so far :)

should be another NSD as im having dinner at BF but defo need to get some shopping in on tuesday or wednesday ... but doing good so far .... i even managed to bake 6 cakes saturday using what i already had in ...

lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh I already have 4.5 pages to catch up on; will get to that later this afternoon.

First spend £3.75 on a small gammon joint and some baking potatoes, £21.25 left for this first week - bf is away so going to buy myself a few treats but still aiming to come in low.

Will pick up a couple of bits today and then wait until Thursday for the rest when I get chance to drive to ASDA (first time driving there as I'm usually the passenger but Dad is going to supervise me doing some driving this week now I have my own car as I'm still on a provisional license :) )
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills